Swimming Pool Filters

Al

After40 years of having a pool you would think I had all the answers...lol. I don't. I always used DE filters but. But when the last one failed about 10 years ago I went to sand. Filtering was unsatisfactory. I used a finer grade of "sand" supposedly to "improve" filtering. IK also used cartridges in the skimmers with mixed results (mostly a PIA).

Before I go back to DE ($$$$$). I have tried after reading up on it adding some DE to the filter unit (already has sand). I will see how that goes. Also I so these polyester balls on Amazon to replace the sand. I will order.

Any thoughts? Yes the chemistry is perfect.

What about a cartridge filter? That’s all I’m familiar with because that’s what I have but no complaints in 7 seasons of use.

I have a Sta Rite like this one but I think mine is 600 sq ft. No backwashing. I rinse the cartridges once a season.

After40 years of having a pool you would think I had all the answers...lol. I don't. I always used DE filters but. But when the last one failed about 10 years ago I went to sand. Filtering was unsatisfactory. I used a finer grade of "sand" supposedly to "improve" filtering. IK also used cartridges in the skimmers with mixed results (mostly a PIA).

Before I go back to DE ($$$$$). I have tried after reading up on it adding some DE to the filter unit (already has sand). I will see how that goes. Also I so these polyester balls on Amazon to replace the sand. I will order.

I use Zeobrite in a sand filter and it's basically been the best of both sand and DE.

I'm running with a Hayward cartridge filter extremely happy just hose it out a few times a season

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_183151891_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200806_183151891_HDR.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 5
I have a 24 inch sand filter for a 27 foot above ground pool and I have good success getting clear water by adding two cups of DE powder into the skimmer right after backwashing the sand filter. (Just like with adding salt to food, more is not better.) On the first cycle, the DE enhanced filter will plug and have to be backwashed after about 4 hours. Next cycle will plug in a day or two and then once the water is clear the backwash schedule pretty much runs normal. The DE does seem to cause some of the sand to flush out on backwashes so open the filter up and check the sand level each year. I use regular pool grade sand with the DE powder and it works just fine. I also use the blue water clarifier that helps to help flocculate the particles.

I found cartridge filters inadequate. DE filters are better than sand. I've had both. I found that sand works well. If you need to brighten the water just add a little DE to your sand filter. It forms a thin layer on top of the sand bed and significantly improves filtering efficiency. When your pressure increases, the DE will be washed out during backwashing.

I found cartridge filters inadequate. DE filters are better than sand. I've had both. I found that sand works well. If you need to brighten the water just add a little DE to your sand filter. It forms a thin layer on top of the sand bed and significantly improves filtering efficiency. When your pressure increases, the DE will be washed out during backwashing.

Better off just using zeo than a consumable that you have to manage every backflush.

I use a cartridge filter and have never had an issue. I spray mine off about every month and use a little HTH Clarifier (about 1 - 2 oz) poured directly into the skimmer. Helps the filter a little bit.
I believe the trick is to get a good filter cartridge, not some cheapo.

I use a cartridge filter and have never had an issue. I spray mine off about every month and use a little HTH Clarifier (about 1 - 2 oz) poured directly into the skimmer. Helps the filter a little bit.
I believe the trick is to get a good filter cartridge, not some cheapo.

Sand is 20-40
Cartridges are 10-20
DE is 3-10
Zeo in a sand filter is 3-10

I can see the diff in de/zeo and a cart easily at night when the lights are on.

Cartridge filter works fine for me. Not sure how it could be any better. The air is full of dust, dog hair and whatever so the pool will never be distilled water clean.

To me the biggest benefit from a cartridge filter was lower resistance / less starting pressure.

The lower the pressure in the system the lower RPM one can run the pump while still achieving the skimming function.

After having run all 4 I'll go zeo in a sand filter every time going forward.

I've thought about switching to zeo sand several times and chicken out each time. For something that is supposed to be magical sand there are a lot of people with complaints and problems with green/cloudy water and dirt in the pool. Apparently there is some lower quality sand suppliers or incompatible water/equipment out there. It's as polarizing as 0W8 oil.

I just bought some DE today for my cartridge filter, but I noticed on Amazon they have a "DE substitute" for sand filters.

I've thought about switching to zeo sand several times and chicken out each time. For something that is supposed to be magical sand there are a lot of people with complaints and problems with green/cloudy water and dirt in the pool. Apparently there is some lower quality sand suppliers or incompatible water/equipment out there. It's as polarizing as 0W8 oil.

I've heard about that possibility, but haven't seen it in over a decade of practice.

I rareley to never saw actual evidence of poeple actually buying it and having these problem (receipts, pictures, ongoing documentation about the problem ) but more something that could happen while in the meantime people have plenty of problems with green and cloudy water using other types of filters.

Having grown up being fascinating and studying magic I can assure you it isnt magic but rather science that makes this media simply work better, and not even that tricky either, just a better material to accomplish the task of filtering, and a better easier to live with solution for the long haul.

Just like Id spend a few bucks on a premium filter for may cars so I spend a fe more for premium pool products.

With sand you have to have a pressure gauge that will show a range and you can see restriction. I worked maintenance for a year and a half and whomever was the on-call had to go in on Saturday and Sunday morning to check ph and the plastic cup filters then the sand filter. We had to back wash the sand filter just about once a week for an hour or so. It was a 65,000 gallon pool. Something that I found out is that there are 6 actual tests that should be performed. Of those I think three (Ph, clorine and turbidity) I think were daily checks.

With sand you have to have a pressure gauge that will show a range and you can see restriction. I worked maintenance for a year and a half and whomever was the on-call had to go in on Saturday and Sunday morning to check ph and the plastic cup filters then the sand filter. We had to back wash the sand filter just about once a week for an hour or so. It was a 65,000 gallon pool. Something that I found out is that there are 6 actual tests that should be performed. Of those I think three (Ph, clorine and turbidity) I think were daily checks.

That isn't just a sand filter thing.

80% of all pool filters Ive seen regardless of type have a pressure gauge.

Buddies and I did pool cleaning in summer along with our mowing and winter blowing.

Openings closing, shocking, filter cleaning, mostly just clean skimmers and net out leaves.

I am one of those people. I switched to it years ago and it does NOT to a good job. I have decided on the filter balls. We'll see.

Back