Calcite Filters - what micron rating?

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Iv been "informed" by a discussion group, a calcite filter thats used for PH correction also has substantive filtration capability and turbidity reduction - ok, but what amount?

What micron, how many NTU?

I got questioned for putting a sediment filter in front of it, but cant get any meaningful dialog going.

Im looking to keep pressure up, but also protect everthing in line from sediment.

I had one person tell me " about 20 microns" but I have no idea nor will they give me any references to that number.

If it's really that, I can put a 50 micron rock catcher in front of it, get a few lb of pressure back, and feel happy about the life everything downstream of the calcite filter. If it's not then I flood my softener resin with sediment which will shorten its useful life, and my final .5/carbon filters life.

I have installed a couple hundred of those calcite neutralizers. They do indeed capture a lot of sediment. I cannot give you a micron rating but it is pretty decent. The thing you need to be concerned with is larger sediment particles. Too large and it cannot be effectively backwashed out of the filter. If your sediment would for example be able to eventually plug the screen on a washing machine hose you should install a sediment filter in line as a safeguard. I recommend 30 micron. Minimal pressure drop.

I have installed a couple hundred of those calcite neutralizers. They do indeed capture a lot of sediment. I cannot give you a micron rating but it is pretty decent. The thing you need to be concerned with is larger sediment particles. Too large and it cannot be effectively backwashed out of the filter. If your sediment would for example be able to eventually plug the screen on a washing machine hose you should install a sediment filter in line as a safeguard. I recommend 30 micron. Minimal pressure drop.

Do you think something at 50m could plug a backwash? I can get a super high flow 50 from pentair.

Nothing will make it into the house as the final stage is a .5micron sediment/ carbon combo, this will stop anything of notable size from entering the house right down to the cyst level.

(Im amazed I can get household level flow from this but I do, pretty amazing cartridge. I'll be cutting this little gem open in a bout 5 more months.)

The chain would look like this.

Pump> Pressure tank> 2.5x10 50m sediment> calcite/ 20m> Softener> 4.5x10 carbon combo .5 sediment > house

Last edited:
What Ive gotten off Reddit from "tribal knowledge" is between 20 and 5 microns.

Back