Well Water Filters

Interesting, it seems you treat the irrigation water for drinking? Am I getting that right?

You switch from a well over to irrigation water? How do you pressurize it?

How is your allotment of irrigation water measured and delivered to you land and whats it typically cost?

I'm intrigued.
Different from that.

I irrigate from my well. Water at the base of the mountain is plentiful. But I think irrigate in CA means something slightly different in northern WA. Most trees when established don't need watering from man. Some years in the past I didn't even need to water my lawn. Garden and news bushes and trees need water.

Anyway. I have a shallow well, and a good 240V pump. Water comes up to house and into my treatment area, I TEE off back outside with a valve for winter shutoff. Outside I have a port to pressure drain (blow) out all my irrigation pipes so they don't freeze. Super easy I just use my smallest HF compressor.

Full time water (from same source) comes to my aeration/O2 resin bed which also is a decent filter. This gets rid of and sulfur compounds, H2S etc via oxidation. Then to the softener bed for relatively high dissolved hardness as represented by Ca and Mg ions. There is some Fe and just random Mn, both of which seem to be handled as we get zero staining in our sinks and no more build up anywhere. We use expensive KCl in the softener, which I am always debating in my mind, but at the very least we don't worry about Na in the backflush or escape. If some K ions are in the water, no harm plants or animals.

Then to the UV light which I'm not sure how effective that is.

And as mentioned the drinking water goes RO.

I gave it years to settle in hahahahahha lets see what the W.A. says. Pretty soon no more worry of hard frosts.

Different from that.

I irrigate from my well. Water at the base of the mountain is plentiful. But I think irrigate in CA means something slightly different in northern WA. Most trees when established don't need watering from man. Some years in the past I didn't even need to water my lawn. Garden and news bushes and trees need water.

Anyway. I have a shallow well, and a good 240V pump. Water comes up to house and into my treatment area, I TEE off back outside with a valve for winter shutoff. Outside I have a port to pressure drain (blow) out all my irrigation pipes so they don't freeze. Super easy I just use my smallest HF compressor.

Full time water (from same source) comes to my aeration/O2 resin bed which also is a decent filter. This gets rid of and sulfur compounds, H2S etc via oxidation. Then to the softener bed for relatively high dissolved hardness as represented by Ca and Mg ions. There is some Fe and just random Mn, both of which seem to be handled as we get zero staining in our sinks and no more build up anywhere. We use expensive KCl in the softener, which I am always debating in my mind, but at the very least we don't worry about Na in the backflush or escape. If some K ions are in the water, no harm plants or animals.

I gave it years to settle in hahahahahha lets see what the W.A. says. Pretty soon no more worry of hard frosts.

Got it - so you tee off the well water and only treat what goes into the house.

I do mostly the same, but add a third option which is well water thats been sediment filtered, but not treated any further than that. I find if I completely divert raw unfiltered well water sediment can clog drip irrigation

My concern with irrigating off a well is the possibility of running it dry or oversubscribing the natural GPM availability and sucking air.

"Irrigation water" here is stream/flume, or ditch water diverted into a pipe and parceled off by the miners inch system of measurement.

Got it - so you tee off the well water and only treat what goes into the house.

I do mostly the same, but add a third option which is well water thats been sediment filtered, but not treated any further than that. I find if I completely divert raw unfiltered well water sediment can clog drip irrigation

My concern with irrigating off a well is the possibility of running it dry or oversubscribing the natural GPM availability and sucking air.

"Irrigation water" here is stream/flume, or ditch water diverted into a pipe and parceled off by the miners inch system of measurement.
As stated our needs are not great and water seems plentiful - and yes very different.

Different from that.

You have a Viqua UV sterilizer which is a very good unit. Change your bulb yearly. Also, and this is important, you will want to replace the quartz lamp sleeve as needed, usually every two years or so. They can become cloudy and not allow the uv light to pass through correctly. So every year check the condition of that tube. You may be able to wipe it clean if you remove it. They sell a complete kit which includes the bulb, quartz sleeve and o rings.

My first two filters are polypropylene and the third is charcoal. I don’t have a shot of the charcoal one. The horizontal tube is the cartridge for reverse osmosis drinking water that feeds to an accumulator pre-charged to 30 psi.

740465A9-A4F5-4DB7-A267-4ED49946A359.jpeg
D2D4CB97-2556-45AF-8DAE-88BFD804D92E.jpeg
741757ED-3F6E-42BE-BBAD-B7F27FA19C0E.jpeg

Back