The pool had to go. Wife in mourning.....

Well after 31 years of having a pool it was time to pull the plug. It saw lots of use but the kids have grown and the wife's health issues mean no more floating in the pool.

I am thinking of putting in a small pond and waterfall in its place.

Here is a pic after I tore it out yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_20230610_135143.jpg
    IMG_20230610_135143.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 228
Only problem we have with a pond is keeping the water clear. The combination of fish and frog poop and whatever else is in there tends to turn the water murky real fast. I’ve tried various mild chemical treatments and small filters and I think the only real solution is a full on large filtration/treatment system. We were going to get rid of the pond this spring but we enjoy the nightly frog serenade.

Well after 31 years of having a pool it was time to pull the plug. It saw lots of use but the kids have grown and the wife's health issues mean no more floating in the pool.

Without your comment, I would swear that was another pesky UFO landing. 🛸

There's no way I'd want a pond (presumably) that nearby because mosquitoes!

There's already a fairly large pond, with a fountain, frogs, geese, etc on the adjacent property that I can see out the window, but after the initial novelty, it doesn't do much for me now. Fortunately it's too far away to have the mosquitoes come over here, though I do see an occasional dragonfly that got lost and can't find its way back.

Last edited:

I vote Ixnay on the Ondpay.

How 'bout a round brick patio and a fire pit?! You is in Michigan after all. That back fence has got to go! A terrible obstruction to that wonderful rolling hill back 40 view.

I can see leaving the side fence if that's a neighbor with dogs (I see a chain link)

p.s. Now I don't feel too bad about my weathered back and side deck :)

Pools are seen as a real estate liability around here nowadays.
X2! A BIG liability now in Florida. And legally required (and enforced!) that they be fenced in or enclosed. Home buyers will no longer pay a premium to buy a house with a pool here and many buyers flat out refuse to buy any house with a pool.

An above ground pool? I had one years ago and we only used it about two years and then it sat unused for a couple of years so I tore it and we never missed it. I am so HAPPY that we opted for an above ground pool and not an in ground one, it was much easier to get rid of. My daughter came close to drowning in it one time. In the 1980s accidental drownings were THE leading cause of death of children in Florida. I not only had to rescue my daughter from nearly drowning in the pool whn she was very young but when she was a teenager, I also had to rescue her and one of her friends who were caught in the undertow at Daytona Beach.

An above ground pool? I had one years ago and we only used it about two years and then it sat unused for a couple of years so I tore it and we never missed it. I am so HAPPY that we opted for an above ground pool and not an in ground one, it was much easier to get rid of. My daughter came close to drowning in it one time. In the 1980s accidental drownings were THE leading cause of death of children in Florida. I not only had to rescue my daughter from nearly drowning in the pool whn she was very young but when she was a teenager, I also had to rescue her and one of her friends who were caught in the undertow at Daytona Beach.
Yes, above ground

My in laws pool is just under 30 years old. My wife was a toddler when they put it in. It has aged well, but has needed a lot of work and parts, which they had been able to find from a local pool store.

A pond with the sound of moving water will be nice. Might also be high maintenance, but if you enjoy that sort of thing, it may be a good idea.

Back