super tech oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's so great about a thread end bypass? Your second comment is not only completely inaccurate (Puro is made in USA) - it's also protectionist. If you understood economics you'd know that your "buy American" stance actually hurts the economy.

I think a Wix filter costs $2.39 more. Since the whole mantra of these forums are better oil/filters etc. better lubrication for your car - I think $2.39 is well spent - particularly when people are buying very expensive oil thinking they'll really help out their engine - only to use a poor quality filter and sabotage their own plans for long engine life. But then you have to buy a new engine or a new car and I guess that helps the economy.

If by "Germany" you mean Bosch filters - their regular line has a lot of "economy-core" (aka cheapo) Champs, their premium line is by most accounts just a Pureone filter in disguise. "Bosch" is a re-label of US made products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gannet167
What's so great about a thread end bypass? Your second comment is not only completely inaccurate (Puro is made in USA) - it's also protectionist . If you understood economics you'd know that your "buy American" stance actually hurts the economy.

I think a Wix filter costs $2.39 more. Since the whole mantra of these forums are better oil/filters etc. better lubrication for your car - I think $2.39 is well spent - particularly when people are buying very expensive oil thinking they'll really help out their engine - only to use a poor quality filter and sabotage their own plans for long engine life. But then you have to buy a new engine or a new car and I guess that helps the economy.

If by "Germany" you mean Bosch filters - their regular line has a lot of "economy-core" (aka cheapo) Champs, their premium line is by most accounts just a Pureone filter in disguise. "Bosch" is a re-label of US made products.
With all due respect define protectionist[what is wrong with that, other than what is read in the media aand who have interest in offshore production] and explain how buying American hurts whose ecomony? What makes a wix filter than a ST filter ? Show me the numbers.

The foreign fat cats have profited from foisting off their last dome end filter on me.

What's so great about a thread end bypass?

It keeps the crud already caught by the filter from being washed through the bypass and into the bearing journals. Ford won't let Purolator use dome ends on Motorcraft.

Your second comment is not only completely inaccurate (Puro is made in USA) - it's also protectionist. If you understood economics you'd know that your "buy American" stance actually hurts the economy.

Few undergraduates have the privilege of learning their economics from a great scholar such as Dr. Hans Senholtz as I did. He thoroughly covered such topics as the world division of labor and rewarding investors for their contributions. I really question whether German management or investors have an advantage over American ones.* They may not have to drag the Sarbanes-Oxley anchor along, but have their own problems.

There is no question patronizing a foreign brand results in money leaving our country. The whole lot of them, Purolator, Honda, Heingst, etc. ship dollars back home. I see no evidence Purolator is producing a better or cheaper filter than Champ, Wix, and Clarcor, American owned and mostly manufactured here.

Not everybody here mindlessly pursues expensive oil and filters that add little but feel good and bling. When many cars after of years of Jiffy Lube's tender care are junked with the engines in fine shape, tell me about ST shortening the engine life. And oh, those that know economics know waste due to poor maintenance hurts the economy.

Going by what I read here, it looks like the new Purolator is making most of the Bosch filters as I would expect. They may be still be filling a few holes in their line from Champ. While you may bash the E-core, it has been around longer than the new Purolator and has earned a good record.

*Wasting resources producing things you can better buy from other countries does hurt the economy. Dr. Hans used the example of Germany could grow bananas in green houses.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What's so great about a thread end bypass? Your second comment is not only completely inaccurate (Puro is made in USA) - it's also protectionist . If you understood economics you'd know that your "buy American" stance actually hurts the economy.

With all due respect define protectionist[what is wrong with that, other than what is read in the media and who have interest in offshore production] and explain how buying American hurts whose economy? What makes a wix filter better than a ST filter ? Show me the numbers.

Pro-Tec's are only $1.92 for most sizes on Rock Auto. As soon as I'm through my stash of AA Total Grips I got for $1.45 those are what I'm going for.

Apparently they're Wix's cheapie line.

If you understood economics you'd know that your "buy American" stance actually hurts the economy.

I know something about economics and it's obvious that our penchant for cheap imported goods along with NAFTA is rapidly making the USA a third word country.

The middle class worker is dead in the US.

China is the dominant world power now.

Our manufacturing dominance in the world has been sacrificed so some fat cat could get a higher return on his stock.

Any rebuttal is just denial.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
Pro-Tec's are only $1.92 for most sizes on Rock Auto. As soon as I'm through my stash of AA Total Grips I got for $1.45 those are what I'm going for.

Dome or thread end bypass?

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I still see nothing wrong with e-core filters. I just cut one open and it looked top-notch.
I just removed an Ecore ST#3614 after a 5k OCI. After it's drained I'm going to cut it open to see how it's faired, I suspect well.

If I can learn how to post pics I will, either way I will report the results. I replaced it with one of the $1.45 Advance (puro) Total Grips.

On side note, it's sad how this thread, like other oil filter threads lately, has been hijacked and gone off topic for an agenda. JMO

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
If you understood economics you'd know that your "buy American" stance actually hurts the economy.

I know something about economics and it's obvious that our penchant for cheap imported goods along with NAFTA is rapidly making the USA a third word country.

The middle class worker is dead in the US.

China is the dominant world power now.

Our manufacturing dominance in the world has been sacrificed so some fat cat could get a higher return on his stock.

Any rebuttal is just denial.
That was/is the plan.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I just removed an Ecore ST#3614 after a 5k OCI. After it's drained I'm going to cut it open to see how it's faired, I suspect well.
I just cut open a ST #3614. Looked fine, pleats even, no holes (as in another thread) and felt type ends still solidly attached. Bottom line, no issues at 5k.

I will save it to see if I can figure out how to post pics.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I still see nothing wrong with e-core filters. I just cut one open and it looked top-notch.

If I can learn how to post pics I will, either way I will report the results. I replaced it with one of the $1.45 Advance (puro) Total Grips.

On side note, it's sad how this thread, like other oil filter threads lately, has been hijacked and gone off topic for an agenda. JMO

Here is the one I cut open if you're curious. I was impressed by the number of pleats and the solid construction. The ADBV was a lot better secured when compared to the Fram I cut open the same day. I actually had to use a little effort to pull it away from the felt-like material whereas the Fram's just fell off.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1555471#Post1555471

Very nice. That Mighty looks very similar ie. almost identical to, the ST#3614 I cut open. The media was a bit darker with the 5k OCI, but otherwise it too was in tact and looked solid. No Ecore issues at all.

Originally Posted By: labman
Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82

Dome or thread end bypass?

Dome

Opened Pro-Tec

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I just cut open a ST #3614. Looked fine, pleats even, no holes (as in another thread) and felt type ends still solidly attached. Bottom line, no issues at 5k.

I will save it to see if I can figure out how to post pics.

I use tinypic.com to upload pics. Once the pic is uploaded it gives you the image code to copy to forums. Works good.

Originally Posted By: georgemiller
I'm going to stick with OEM as I find Super Tech a lesser quality.
How so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back