bad Super Tech quality control

Poking around the web, I see aftermarket is going the wrong way.

Let's get together and crowd fund a spin-on to cartridge loader adapter design for the most common size Asian Filter. Then you can check the "guts" before you load it in.

Also there will be less waste at each OCI - that is good for the environment

That will not harm the engine. Come to think there are oil filters that does not have those filament endcaps like this Toyota and MANN oil filters

41lFG3t1xLL._AC_.jpg

71UDRH3DGEL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg
I’m guessing the Toyota filter pictured is sealed top and bottom when inserted in the cartridge? The Mann filter ends are clearly sealed.

ST filter ends in the original post are supposed to be sealed. 1/3 of one end is not. That is no buenos.

That will not harm the engine. Come to think there are oil filters that does not have those filament endcaps like this Toyota and MANN oil filters

41lFG3t1xLL._AC_.jpg

71UDRH3DGEL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg
The Toyota filters have a glue seal on each pleat end so they don't let dirty oil through. On the ST shown in the video, if the end cap is loose and not 100% bondrd to the pleat ends, the ends of the pleats are no longer sealed and can let dirty oil through.

Last edited:
BITOG members couldn't even agree on a date, to have a meeting, to discuss the agenda, referencing the criteria, for a test method, for filter specs ...
Then we fit well into corporate America. I have been in some pretty asinine meetings that rehashed the same thing as the last 3 meetings with no real forward progress on the topic.

My favorite story about this was a company that had a meeting about having shorter and more effective meetings. It ran over on time.

The Toyota filter is glued internally at every pleat end.
It would surely have to be to support an acceptable Beta. I have not seen evidence of this though, Only glue on the inner circumference to hold the media gathered. The bypass poppet and the ADBV seat and "seal" directly on the metal perforated core tube. Also noted is the odd design where the pleats are folded flat against one another.

My Wife made me throw away my reserved toyota specimens from 17 years ago. Maybe I can find one hidden someplace to poke in the pleats. - Ken

.....I made this short video to show how and why this particular design needs completely sealed ends:

Fwiw, agree with the demonstration conclusion reached about oil bypass with the specific topic filter. In topic design, endcaps act as a seal between clean and dirty side of the oil filter. Otoh, no endcap type filters don't have endcaps because ends of pleats glued shut, or at least supposed to be.

That said, again, topic not the most common Champ Labs made ST and/or ACDelco filter construction type now. And afaik, this the only anecdote of this type seen here.

I have not seen evidence of this though, Only glue on the inner circumference to hold the media gathered. The bypass poppet and the ADBV seat and "seal" directly on the metal perforated core tube.
I have dissected a few Toyota Denso oil filters and verified that each pleat end is glued to seal it (the blue lines in figure below). The translucent plastic/nylon around the center tube is there to also seal the inner corners of the pleats (red lines), and to give a ridged surface for the leaf spring/bypass valve assembly and ADBV to seal on.

1702499580486.jpeg

I have dissected a few Toyota Denso oil filters and verified that each pleat end is glued to seal it (the blue lines in figure below). The translucent plastic/nylon around the center tube is there to also seal the inner corners of the pleats (red lines), and to give a ridged surface for the leaf spring/bypass valve assembly and ADBV to seal on.
Thank you for this update. First hand evidence and knowledge can be a rare thing on the interweb.
- Ken

Then we fit well into corporate America. I have been in some pretty asinine meetings that rehashed the same thing as the last 3 meetings with no real forward progress on the topic.

My favorite story about this was a company that had a meeting about having shorter and more effective meetings. It ran over on time.
As long as they have good bagels! Or at least decent donuts… Fortunately we’ll always have Ascent’s results to fall back on!

The Toyota filters have a glue seal on each pleat end so they don't let dirty oil through. On the ST shown in the video, if the end cap is loose and not 100% bondrd to the pleat ends, the ends of the pleats are no longer sealed and can let dirty oil through.
This makes me wonder how good the el cheapo RA Champ/Luberfiner filters really are-they’re a similar design to the Super Tech ones.

This makes me wonder how good the el cheapo RA Champ/Luberfiner filters really are-they’re a similar design to the Super Tech ones.
Roulette wheel perhaps. I never did like the bonding method used on that end cap design.

Back