Should you not see any dust at all inside an intake tube?

I thought only k&n did oiled air filters, so I didn't give it much thought when I bought this cummins with a cold air intake because it looked clean. Anyways, I Decided to change out the rubber couplings on it and that's when I realized how much dust this thing let's by. I checked once on my newer truck with the stock intake and it had just a tiny amount inside. Nothing that would even make your finger dirty. I'd imagine a little bit gets into the intake over time that can't be stopped opinions? Luckily I found this before the truck started burning oil.

Those oiled filters are for the birds. If they were so much better, they would be installed at the factory. Stick to an OEM type air filter and sleep well.
I ordered a paper style round filter cummins/fleetguard filter that a lot of people like to use on these 2nd gens. People have a lot of complaints about the stock airboxes warming and not sealing. Not sure if that's because they're old now or if it was like that from day one.

Those oiled filters are for the birds. If they were so much better, they would be installed at the factory. Stick to an OEM type air filter and sleep well.
Some OEM filters are mildly oiled. All the OEM Honda filters I’ve gotten are ever so slightly oiled. You can see the beads. Nothing like a K&N though.

My filters are always black on the very outside. Keep in mind my filter pleats are 4" deep and the black is only around the outer 1/2" or so. Wonder if that's from oil or asphalt going down the road

The only time I have seen dust in the intake tube was on used cars with (1) a filter/air box that was not properly seated/sealed at the last service and (2) cars with a K&N replacement filter. The most I ever see with a stock filter is a slight haze on the plastic which I'm wondering might be from hydrocarbons cooking off after shutdown since it wipes away as black.

IMO, CAI and oiled filters don't belong on turbo charged vehicles. They can't withstand the velocity and volume of air. I had an AFE CAI on my 2012 Ram and had no noticeable increase in MPG. The only thing I got was a check engine code and a dirty intake tube. I removed it after ~25K miles and sold it. I went back to stock with Fleetguard filters.

Just my $0.02

IMO, CAI and oiled filters don't belong on turbo charged vehicles. They can't withstand the velocity and volume of air. I had an AFE CAI on my 2012 Ram and had no noticeable increase in MPG. The only thing I got was a check engine code and a dirty intake tube. I removed it after ~25K miles and sold it. I went back to stock with Fleetguard filters.

Just my $0.02
That's what I got is an afe. It's getting sold too since that thing was probably $300

Get that K&N out of there. They are great racing filters but I’ve seen Cummins deny warranty on a “dust out” with a K&N filter. Hold one up to the light and you’ll see the size of the holes in that cotton gauze. Not good especially for dusty areas or the snow belt where they put sand on the roads.
If your Cummins doesn’t have enough power you need a bigger truck.

Just my $0.02
Was your AFE CAI the Dryflow or was it Oiled?

This is where these filters work best
images.jpg

I think it's the oiled type. How often do you oil them?

I have a DryFlow Air Filter, I have not put it on the car yet. LOL
There is a long story with this AFE Air Filter, right now I have a new Purolator Paper Air Filter I put on a month ago.
I am debating if I should even use this AFE Air Filter or just stick with the Paper Air Filter.

I have a DryFlow Air Filter, I have not put it on the car yet. LOL
There is a long story with this AFE Air Filter, right now I have a new Purolator Paper Air Filter I put on a month ago.
I am debating if I should even use this AFE Air Filter or just stick with the Paper Air Filter.
I wouldn't if it's the cotton style filter

I wouldn't if it's the cotton style filter
What is making me reluctant is that there was a Fram Guy on here named Motorking and he said in there testing the Paper Air Filter let less dirt into the Engine. I will post what was said.

I found the below comment by Googling Fram AirHog Bitog

Hi,
I am the tech director at FRAM. We attempted to penetrate this market with the air hog a few yrs ago and simply did not have the marketing resources to properly get the product established.
That being said a few facts about this type of filter-
It will not increase your horsepower unless the factory filter has so much restriction that it flows less air that the throttle body, the TB being the "smallest hole" in the air intake system. Any gains in HP are at WOT only. It also will not improve fuel economy in any fuel injected vehicle.
And, if you search the GMC truck forum, you will find an independent study showing that both K+N and UNI washable filters held less than half as much dirt as all brands of cellulose filters tested and let a whopping 7 grams of dirt into the engine before they became full. This compared to paper filters letting 1/2 to 1 gram pass in the same time. Look up the study, it is very thorough. The FRAM TG filter is oiled but the oil is impregnated into the media along with adding synthetic glass to the cellulose and will not harm any MAF in any engine.

Jay Buckley
Motorking Automotive
[email protected]

Last edited:
I just had my 12 year old intake apart on my Frontier for unrelated reasons. It was spotless inside, and I have never cleaned it.

I just had my 12 year old intake apart on my Frontier for unrelated reasons. It was spotless inside, and I have never cleaned it.
Strange. I've had black air filters on vehicles that never left pavement. Usually about every 30k I throw a new filter on.

Back