2018 tuned/tracked Golf Sportwagen 100K/4K OCI HPL Euro 5W40 - uh-oh.....

Hmm, I think you might have found the culprit. Rig up something like this and see if it holds pressure. I bet that dent is the issue.

IMG_0039.jpeg

IMG_0040.jpeg

Hmm, I think you might have found the culprit. Rig up something like this and see if it holds pressure. I bet that dent is the issue.

View attachment 203411

View attachment 203412
That's a lot of work hahaha....I was trying to figure out how to round it out without breaking it. I know a guy at Unitronic, thinking I may get them to just send me that piece but yes, that is more likely than the filter as the source (to me).

Last edited:
That's a lot of work hahaha....I was trying to figure out to round it out without breaking it. I know a guy at Unitronic, thinking I may get them to just send me that piece but yes, that is more likely than the filter as the source (to me).
Another idea is to assemble it (not on the car), shine a light. if you see any amount of light, well, there is confirmation. or run water though it.

Wonder if the OP would consider doing the same with other oils of his choice as a baseline with UOA's, so we could see if 5 track days with 270/280 degrees Farenheit driving mixed with regular driving for 4K OCI would destroy other oils like Amsoil, Redline, or maybe even Quaker State Euro 5W-40 ($21.60 for 5 quart jug at Walmart).

Last edited:
Wonder if the OP would consider doing the same with other oils of his choice as a baseline with UOA's, so we could see if 5 track days with 270/280 degrees Farenheit driving mixed with regular driving for 4K OCI would destroy other oils like Amsoil, Redline, or maybe even Quaker State Euro 5W-40 ($21.60 for 5 quart jug at Walmart).
I'm going with a solid no on that request. I'm quite sure Redline and Amsoil are MORE than up to the task. QS? For $21 zero reason messing with pushing it.

Last edited:
Another idea is to assemble it (not on the car), shine a light. if you see any amount of light, well, there is confirmation. or run water though it.
I may mess around with it again tomorrow. I have a hard time believing getting that clamp gutentight won't form that soft silicone hose to the shape?

That's a lot of work hahaha....I was trying to figure out how to round it out without breaking it. I know a guy at Unitronic, thinking I may get them to just send me that piece but yes, that is more likely than the filter as the source (to me).
Get an exhaust pipe expander.

I'm going with a solid no on that request. I'm quite sure Redline and Amsoil are MORE than up to the task. QS? For $21 zero reason messing with pushing it.

That's fine. Was just a thought.

It's easy to think of an oil's stellar reputation and high price which should imply a superior oil (ex: Redline, Amsoil),

Another way to look at it is certifications. The Quaker State Euro 5W-40 ($22.97 at Walmart) has:
BMW LL-01; MB-Approval 229.5; Porsche A40; VW 502.00/ 505.00

I only mentioned it as it would be interesting to see how a low priced ACEA A3/B4 MB 229.5 approved oil would perform in extreme conditions, but I completely understand and respect your view about not using it.

That's fine. Was just a thought.

It's easy to think of an oil's stellar reputation and high price which should imply a superior oil (ex: Redline, Amsoil),

Another way to look at it is certifications. The Quaker State Euro 5W-40 ($22.97 at Walmart) has:
BMW LL-01; MB-Approval 229.5; Porsche A40; VW 502.00/ 505.00

I only mentioned it as it would be interesting to see how a low priced ACEA A3/B4 MB 229.5 approved oil would perform in extreme conditions, but I completely understand and respect your view about not using it.
It's not that I wouldn't use it, I have! I have tracked Liquimoly oils (Leichtlauf High Tech and Molygen, both 5W40) multiple times with data presented. I used QS for a run on this car just for fun. I have run it in my Passat and my son runs it currently in his GTI...good stuff and I'm sure it would endure track use, the issue is why push for a long-run and multiple track days on an oil that is so inexpensive? But I agree, the approvals indicate it will be fine, my guess is the issue will be viscosity drop which I do not want and HPL has shown to excel at maintaining.

Approvals are approvals but that doesn't mean an oil can be better than that....keep that in mind. Approvals are minimums. Most of the top-line oils have none!

Intake saga update. The aluminum is v. soft. I easily straightened by eyeball with some channel locks. The exhaust spreader wasn't necessary and I didn't want to break it. I tightened the clamp down HARD so hopefully it's sealed. If not, I may just buy a new pipe, easy and cheap enough. I *think* based on how ductile the metal is, the irregularites are from the clamp itself tightening down on it...the flat spot is about where the worm gear portion would sit. I got this used so well...there it is.

Back