The quest for more turbo noise, part 2: What does this intake resonator do???

That's fake noise, it's not the same as an actual, mechanical noise that cannot be tuned or turned off easily.
Ford is just partaking in a stupid trend of adding fake engine noises to make their lame offerings seem less lame. But it actually makes them look stupid.
Like the rental grade Mustang 2.3 ecoboost I had, where the fake noises didn't even match the accelerator input.

So yeah, I would not use Ford as an example.
But the OP has a Ford, and is asking why older Fords appeared to have “more turbo sound” and is asking why his brand new one doesn’t seem to have as much. Seems pretty relevant, no?

OP, if it’s any consolation: my ‘19 3.5 EB turbos are more noticeable when spooling now at nearly 80k with the electronic noise disabled than they were when I got it at 23k… so I’d recommend putting some miles on it! Maybe reach out to AMS and see if they can make their “boost tubes” intake tract for your vehicle, I put them on mine and that as well is part of the increase in turbo noise. HTH…

But the OP has a Ford, and is asking why older Fords appeared to have “more turbo sound” and is asking why his brand new one doesn’t seem to have as much. Seems pretty relevant, no?

OP, if it’s any consolation: my ‘19 3.5 EB turbos are more noticeable when spooling now at nearly 80k with the electronic noise disabled than they were when I got it at 23k… so I’d recommend putting some miles on it! Maybe reach out to AMS and see if they can make their “boost tubes” intake tract for your vehicle, I put them on mine and that as well is part of the increase in turbo noise. HTH…

You brought up fake V8 sound, not fake turbo sound. That is what I replied to. Even the 2.3 Mustang didn't have any turbo sounds, fake or real. Just the fake engine sound that was out of sync with the accelerator pedal.

OP wants turbos sounds. Why older models may have more turbo sounds vs the new ones, who knows? It is most likely just an accidental byproduct and the newer vehicles have likely better sound insulation. Either way it's a soccer mom SUV, so I highly doubt Ford even considered any sporty sound tuning on this thing.

Back to the original question, appendage boxes on stock intakes are to dampen out the "one note song" at cruise. It doesn't do anything with high frequency noise.

You sure about that? Ford did it on the EcoBoosts to fake a V8 aural sound. I personally disabled it on my ‘19 F150 using ForScan around Christmas 2020 when I got the truck.

That's another one of those edge cases where adding / modifying the sound waves made sense to Ford, in order to better market their EBs in a vehicle where people are used to a V8.

By and large through, most make an effort to reduce noise using the audio system, not add to it.

Back in the days of the Mopar Turbo 2.2/2.5 there a blow off valve in the Air Box, it route the air through a hose to that valve so you could not here. Similar was the S/C 3800 quiet until you put a different intake system on it. It got loud after that.
Jesus, no more posting at when I can't sleep, don't have my glasses and I am tired.

It's not turbo but all I can say is I deleted this one from a '15 Forester 2.5 NA and it seemed to make......absolutely no difference at all. Fortunately no change was desired -- it just had to go due to space constraints.

Still, this is why I'm always skeptical of the ubiquitous claims of "the engineers put it there for a good reason!" Did they? Did they really?

Could that possibly be some sort of Helmholtz resonator? My understanding was that resonators after the MAF sensor are usually for smoothing air flow/reducing turbulence or tuning for better mid-range power. Resonators before the MAF/filter are typically for reducing induction noise, but I could be wrong.

From my own experience, metal induction pipes do wonders for noise

Yes, the intake silencer will help by removing it/blocking it. Manufacturers want these things quiet so they don't have to deal with all those folks coming back swearing it's broken etc. from the Hiroshima Hairdryer. If you want noise, an open element intake is the best way or cut some holes in the top/sides of the factory box. I love turbo noise.

Back