The quest for more turbo noise, part 2: What does this intake resonator do???

This is in regard to our 2016 Explorer 2.3 EcoBoost turbo. Vehicle is stock (why would you modify an Explorer anyway?). Anyway, last summer I experimented with a DIY cold air intake just to see what effect it would have on the turbo/induction noise. This was a cheap science project. I wasn't looking to sound like a bro racer, I just wanted some more turbo spool noise; this vehicle literally has the quietest turbo I've ever experienced. Long story short, this 'mod' made hardly any difference.

For the past couple weeks, I've been driving a Silverado with the 2.7L 4-cylinder turbo, and while it's faint, it makes a delightful turbo spooling noise under load. It's not obnoxious, but it's there, and I love it! Looking at the intake for that truck, it doesn't seem to have any resonators on the intake; just a large/expanded section after the airbox that necks down again before the turbo inlet. This has led me to revisit the turbo noise on our Explorer, if for no other reason than finding out why it makes so little noise.

Here's a picture of the stock intake setup on our vehicle (picture is not mine). You can see the airbox, which transitions into a flexible hose, back into a hard pipe:
IMG_4811.jpeg

After that hard pipe section, which ends just as it goes under the engine cover, comes this piece, which I am now the proud owner of for $45 :D. It is a 'resonator' according to the parts listing, and it leads directly into the turbo inlet:
IMG_4805.jpg
IMG_4806.jpg
IMG_4807.jpg

This section of piping includes the massive growth aka the resonator, a vacuum hose port, and the bypass valve recirculation port. Most vehicles have resonators like this. My van, in particular, has two. Most resonators have a larger inlet, like 1" to 1.5" from what I've seen. This one is different, though. Here's a picture of the inside of that resonator tube, looking into the tube in the direction of airflow (Ignore the dust. The previous owner must have not had a good filter). You first come up on the resonator port, indicated by the RED arrow. It's not circular as the picture makes it seem, but is oval. However, it is small... like 0.5" x 0.75". There is also no 'return' port, as some resonators have. That little port is the only hole feeding that massive resonator. The square hole indicated by the WHITE arrow is the recirculating valve return; they are not connected:
IMG_4810.JPEG

Here's my plan: I'm going to cut the resonator off flush and seal it, and see what effect it has on sound. On my van, which has a naturally-aspirated V6, removing both similar-looking resonators lead to incredible induction noise under load, along with a little extra vibration in the steering wheel from the noise. On the Explorer, I really don't know what this resonator is for. I'm sure I'll find out soon, but I can only assume that it's mainly for quieting the turbo spool noise, and possibly the 'blow-off' noise of the recirculating valve given the close proximity? After the turbo, there is more piping to/from the intercooler before it reaches the throttle, so a resonator this far away wouldn't really affect much else, according to my thinking, at least.

Anyway, I will report back once it warms up outside. More than anything else, I'm just curious what effect this resonator has on this specific vehicle. OF NOTE: On the very similar 2.0 EcoBoost found on the Fusion, Escape, etc. this resonator is NOT there. From my searching various YouTube videos, those vehicles seem to have inherently more turbo noise from the intake... makes sense. What do you think?

Usually those "bongs" are to kill something at one particular frequency/ RPM.

I know what you're talking about, I rented a Buick Envision and the car was silent other than this faint turbo spool that was intoxicating. I bought the XT4 and didn't even bother to drive it first expecting the same, but I can't hear a thing. Not about to start modifications.

Does the spooling noise you’re looking for come out of the intake or is it external noise from the turbo?

You could probably plug that hole with a rubber stopper of the right size and tape over it and not have to hack things up.

I know what you're talking about, I rented a Buick Envision and the car was silent other than this faint turbo spool that was intoxicating. I bought the XT4 and didn't even bother to drive it first expecting the same, but I can't hear a thing. Not about to start modifications.
Similarly… I’ve driven the early 2010s era Escape, and also the mid 2010s Escape, both with the ‘same’ turbo engine. The earlier vehicle had a MUCH more audible turbo. Ford must have tuned out that noise in the later years of the same engine.

Does the spooling noise you’re looking for come out of the intake or is it external noise from the turbo?

You could probably plug that hole with a rubber stopper of the right size and tape over it and not have to hack things up.
I’m not sure… I assume that spooling noise ultimately resonates through the intake.

I’m not worried about hacking it up, since I’m leaving the one on the vehicle alone; this unit is an extra that I bought for science 😎 also, I wouldn’t feel comfortable plugging it from the inside, since the intake vacuum could pull any plug loose and then I need a new turbo…

It is probably like the silencer on every airbox on the planet. Can you buy just the intake tube aftermarket? My truck has it, the wife's Malibu has something similar, the WS6 had one when new. Also slows the air down coming into the intake.

Similarly… I’ve driven the early 2010s era Escape, and also the mid 2010s Escape, both with the ‘same’ turbo engine. The earlier vehicle had a MUCH more audible turbo. Ford must have tuned out that noise in the later years of the same engine.
Are you sure they just didn’t dial back or remove the fake turbo/engine noise they’ve piped in via the stereo?

Exhaust seems to have the most impact on turbo noise in my experience. On diesels if you remove certain parts of the exhaust but leave the mufflers or resonators you can get the whistle without too much extra exhaust noise.

Are you sure they just didn’t dial back or remove the fake turbo/engine noise they’ve piped in via the stereo?
Except for enthusiast/sports cars, no manufacturer willingly adds noise. The opposite is quite true though: many manufacturers use noise cancelling (reverse phase sound waves through the audio system) to mute the engine. The normies of the world don't want to hear their engine.

I would love my 2.0T to make more turbo noise, but I'm not messing with it. I miss the days you could slap on a blow-off valve dumping to atmosphere, which was only practical on Chrysler and other engines that were speed density based.

My airraid throttle body spacer has a spiral inside and a correct orientation. When installed backwards it creates a turbo whistle type noise with no turbo.

I have purchased but not installed motorcraft part CM5083 air straightener to enhance the noise.

Another idea is to fix an exhaust whistle tip inside the intake. May need to play around with the placement to get the right sound. Definitely fasten it securely so it does not get sucked into your engine.

Ground loop issues with the stereo can give a whine sound that increases with rpm. A lead run to the horn speaker may sound good.

Back in the days of the Mopar Turbo 2.2/2.5 there a blow off valve in the Air Box, it route the air through a hose to that valve so you could not here. Similar was the S/C 3800 quiet until you put a different intake system on it. It got loud after that.

I had a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport with the 3.5 EcoBoost V6, and I loved the power it had for a boxy SUV. I do not recall in my time with it ever hearing the twin turbochargers even when full boost. I tested the turbo 4 before I got mine and liked it as well. I chose the Sport for the additional features offered that weren’t on the turbo 4.

That said, I think Ford engineers are trying to muffle engine noises for their SUV, not introduce more noise. My Explorer was a quiet ride as I recall, and I believe the silent power feel is what they were after.

Same situation with the twin turbo inline 6 on my long ago sold BMW 535xi. Just the turbo power, no sounds from the engine.

Now the Mini Cooper S? The engineers actually piped a branch of the intake to a connector mounted on the firewall to transmit turbo engine sounds into the cabin, as the connection is right where the driver sits. It’s a fun car (apart right now but when the cold is less severe it goes back together), so I imagine it’s that little sporty add on. Ironically, some guys with these delete that noisemaker to permit better flow to the throttle body. 😎

If you want to hear the turbo spooling up, by all means go for it.

You sure about that? Ford did it on the EcoBoosts to fake a V8 aural sound. I personally disabled it on my ‘19 F150 using ForScan around Christmas 2020 when I got the truck.

That's fake noise, it's not the same as an actual, mechanical noise that cannot be tuned or turned off easily.
Ford is just partaking in a stupid trend of adding fake engine noises to make their lame offerings seem less lame. But it actually makes them look stupid.
Like the rental grade Mustang 2.3 ecoboost I had, where the fake noises didn't even match the accelerator input.

So yeah, I would not use Ford as an example.

Back