Should I be worried about this air filter?

Bought this air filter from Napa auto parts for a Lexus ls400. It seems to be made of cotton. It’s brand new. My concern is the little loose strings of cotton all over the filter filtering media.. logically this stuff would be sucked into my intake correct? That can’t be good.. the majority of it is on the filtering side of the filter, but there is some in the inside of the filter aka the post filtered section. Should I worry or no? I want to go oem but there’s literally only 50 left in the usa and they’re 60 dollars from Lexus lol. The last photo is the “clean side” which has way less of the strands of cotton. Please and thank you gentleman

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 91
I don't think that they will get loose. But even if some of them end up in the engine they will just burn. No damage will take place from flammable items that small.

With a username like that, I would think you would be using all oem Toyota parts. At least I see a Toyota box in the first picture.
Well sir you can call me a test rat. I am doing gods work for import car owners. The brand I bought is altrom . Let’s just say this is my third instance in a row proving that altrom from Napa is the exact same as the oem part for the specific car. Check this out, the part number on the box is the same part number as my Lexus dealership air filter. Altrom is oem rebranded

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 41
I've noticed some specs of fluff in my airbox after running a new filter for a while. It's probably not abrasive, so I wouldn't worry about it causing engine wear.

Long strands of fluff could maybe get caught in narrow passages in an intercooler on a turbo car, but probably not enough to matter.

This air filter packaging as the same exact part number as the Lexus part from the dealership. This is my third instance of having proof altrom parts from Napa are just rebranded oem parts. Check out their website. They say so aswell

OCD ness has its place. Without it things can devolve into a “who cares about it?” rabbit hole of neglect.But a bit of moderation is the key. Run that filter, you’ll learn from it or forever be a slave to the aforementioned OCD.

Last edited:
Well sir you can call me a test rat. I am doing gods work for import car owners. The brand I bought is altrom . Let’s just say this is my third instance in a row proving that altrom from Napa is the exact same as the oem part for the specific car. Check this out, the part number on the box is the same part number as my Lexus dealership air filter. Altrom is oem rebranded
That's not uncommon for aftermarket parts, makes them easy to find. If it is indeed a Toyota filter, why don't they sell it a Toyota box? It would sell better than a no name brand. Toyota only sells to authorized Toyota dealers and distributors. If it's a genuine Toyota filter, why doesn't NAPA sell it as such?

That's not uncommon for aftermarket parts, makes them easy to find. If it is indeed a Toyota filter, why don't they sell it a Toyota box? It would sell better than a no name brand. Toyota only sells to authorized Toyota dealers and distributors. If it's a genuine Toyota filter, why doesn't NAPA sell it as such?
Look up the brand altrom. They literally distribute and sell oem parts under their brand. For example. My Lexus needed an idler pulley. Went to Napa website, found the altrom. Guess what? It’s made by nsk.it’s a well knows fact that nsk is the manufacturer of the idler pulley. proving altrom doesn’t make parts, they sell oem supplier parts. The pulley I got matched exactly to the original pulley on the Lexus. German car owners will find their cars branded name on the part etched off. BMW, Volvo, Toyota, lexus etc is the same case.

Attachments

• IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 4
I’ve never seen that with aftermarket parts once no offense. The only time you see that is on rock auto under “interchangeable part number”

“Napa is Genuine Parts Company. A few years ago, Napa wanted to get more coverage on the imports, so they bought Altrom (think Bap-Geon). Altrom doesn't make anything, but they import stuff for european and japanese cars. Most Altrom part numbers are the manufacturer part numbers, and many are the exact same part you get from the dealer. Last year, Altrom expanded their warehouses in the US so that Napa customers can get parts faster without having Napa warehouses stock redundant inventory.

I've bought lots of Altrom stuff; most of it has been the exact same part and part number as what I can get from dealers and/or indy garages. It's not Chinese crap.”

You can find a lot more info online. This is good news for YOU if you own a German, jap, euro car

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 2
I bought altrom ultra 8 sway bar links for my tundra last year, they were stamped 555, the well known supplier for Toyota suspension components

Just compared the air filter to my oem Lexus one that was in there. Same exact air filter down to every little detail that is visible to the human eye. Yay

READ THIS!!!

“For all of those woundering if Altrom Group parts are any good, then I'm the guy to ask because I worked at both a VW dealership and an Altrom distributor and...they both get ORIGINAL manufacturer parts from the original supplier for VAG (volkswagen audi group). Parts received at the Altrom distributor have the vw/audi logo with the original part number. EVEN VW dealerships sometime go threw a NAPA or ALTROM disributor for original parts because they end up being cheaper and/or faster delivery than VW of Canada! Altrom is also a distributor of LIQUI MOLY products in North America. So if your going to the dealership, your part might have gone threw Altrom anyway!!. It's also easier for a dealer to return parts (without $ penalty) than going threw VW Canada. I've even paid upfront at a NAPA store and picked up my goodies at the Altrom warehouse (but I used to work there) to avoid waiting for my parts. BTW the dealerships get there brakelines from NAPA (via Altrom) as these aren't easily available from VW Canada. I've restored a '87 GTi while I worked there with everything original. If you've ever woundered how all those VW/Audi specialized little garage get there parts, it's all because of Altrom. Automont in the Montreal region is the main competitor of Altrom and they get their parts from the same VAG suppliers. VAG is a car assembling company and subcontractors make parts they supply to VAG. Suppliers such as BOSCH, VALEO, MANN, FEBI BILSTEIN, CONTINENTAL TIRES. Parts usually have the manifactuers part number, their logo as well as the VAG logo and their part reference number. Usually only some exhaust parts might be of inferior quality but are made to fit the car right at a smaller budget.”

Toyota/Lexus does not manufacture oil or air filters.
They find someone who makes a quality spec'd part and label it as OEM.
The same manufacturer sells the same part to others under a different brand name and or part #.
This is no mystery.
Are there other manufacturers that produce filters of lesser quality? Yes.
Be happy you found a quality part that appears to be an OEM equivalent.
Only 60 OEM's left?
Might be a good investment to grab a few.

I'm always hoping that a person that's seeking some answers would, have some rational thinking, and want to have some evidence based facts to back it up. What does he or she tell you about these air filters? I say that in the way of why ask here then if they speak to you?

Back