How much metal should I find in an oil filter?

Oooh, thats’s your cam??!? I hadnt seen it before. Great picture, sorry to see it.
Yep. An oem cam is like $700, plus another $200 in followers? now multiply that fact by the brake dust shields that just fell off, and add in 23mpg. So I am in rush here… cheaper than a new car for sure, so I’ll wind up doing the job, but I am going to wait for it to warm up a hair I think.

There must be quite a few good stock cams swapped out for some more spicy ones over the years? I guess if you can figure which part numbers will fit, if you pass an import shop with lots of honda's parked outside, you might get a stock cam for not much?
For now though I might through some 5W40 in there. My buddy has been running similar cams in his jetta tdi for quite a while with 15W40, but he doesn't winter drive it.

Last edited:
Yep. An oem cam is like $700, plus another $200 in followers? now multiply that fact by the brake dust shields that just fell off, and add in 23mpg. So I am in rush here… cheaper than a new car for sure, so I’ll wind up doing the job, but I am going to wait for it to warm up a hair I think.
I’m going to replace lifters on my OM602 diesel before too long. I hear ya.

Snow just ended and the sun came out. Beautiful day!

Yeah, I should hit up a shop (or Importapart? he makes good videos) for a cam. They have to be out there, and all I need is a decent cam with decent followers. Some day.

Meanwhile my son is learning about the fun of shopping CL. He's window-shopped no small amount of Jeeps, and now seems to be onto Tacoma's. It's enjoyable to hear. :) I plan to steer him towards an XB if I can, that's something I might be able to repair, and get the mpg he wants.

I would run it as is with heavier viscosity oil - we ran 5w20 in our K but we dumped it at 100k. Not sure how heavy you can go there.

Back