Road Rage: Flip them off or Yell at them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Both...
This is NYC, we have road rage on the sidewalks
crackmeup2.gif

Lol

I let them go by or slow down so they get ahead and don't fret.

The only way of getting back I have done twice very effectively with tailgaters is seeing a cop and speeding up slightly and then slowing way down to make sure they tailgate me. Both time blues lit up including once the officer pulling me over asking if I knew the person and me stating I think they are drunk and been doing way longer then they really were.

If I get angry, which is not very often, I will flip them off but hold my hand down near the door handle where they can't see it. Somehow this is satisfying...

I get it out of my system but it's just between me and well, you know....

Oh, and another approach I have used for years is what I do when someone is tailgating me. I just pull off and let them go around. Solves a lot of issues. This way I can give them the finger as they drive by. Of course, I give them the finger down below the glass as I smile and nod my head at them as they drive by. Makes me a little giddy in a twisted sort of way.

I beep the horn or flash my brights when an idiot does something dangerous. Generally not when my wife is in the car though. Many times, as I've gotten older, I do my best to do nothing. But you know PEOPLE TICK ME OFF when they do stuff on the highway that endangers me or others. Sometimes I just can't let it pass. But I realize that I may regret that someday.

I have frikin' lazer beams that I shoot out their tires with! LOL

Actually, I used to get way more heated than I do now. Funny story, back when I was still playing college ball (O Line), I was on my way to the airport, some guy was driving like a complete idiot. Speeding, weaving, and such. He nearly hit me 3 or 4 times and then got right on my rear bumper. I calmly rolled down my window and poured out my tasty beverage, which went all over his car. He followed me off the exit and sped around me on the shoulder t block me from continuing. Then he got out of his car. So, I got out of my car. When he saw how big I was, he quickly got back in his car and left.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
If I get angry, which is not very often, I will flip them off but hold my hand down near the door handle where they can't see it. Somehow this is satisfying...

I get it out of my system but it's just between me and well, you know....

Oh, and another approach I have used for years is what I do when someone is tailgating me. I just pull off and let them go around. Solves a lot of issues. This way I can give them the finger as they drive by. Of course, I give them the finger down below the glass as I smile and nod my head at them as they drive by. Makes me a little giddy in a twisted sort of way.

Baahaaa!

Originally Posted By: Pike51
I have frikin' lazer beams that I shoot out their tires with! LOL

Actually, I used to get way more heated than I do now. Funny story, back when I was still playing college ball (O Line), I was on my way to the airport, some guy was driving like a complete idiot. Speeding, weaving, and such. He nearly hit me 3 or 4 times and then got right on my rear bumper. I calmly rolled down my window and poured out my tasty beverage, which went all over his car. He followed me off the exit and sped around me on the shoulder t block me from continuing. Then he got out of his car. So, I got out of my car. When he saw how big I was, he quickly got back in his car and left.

Like a huge Dr. EVIL....
smile.gif

My friend drives uber in NYC and got punched in the face for honking at someone who cut him off. Then there are decent people on Long Island who will apologize for cutting you off at the next light.

I don't get road rage. I am actually pretty calm. I did once but it took alot for the guy to really provoke me purposely.
I have more fun blowing them a kiss when they flick me off.
Being armed in my vehicle always gives me the confidence to not give a .... About thier anger issues.

Never let your enemy know what you are thinking or about to do. Don't show emotion. Don't make eye contact. If you are driving act as if that other person does not exist. Any gesture or acknowledgment by you will only cause you problems. This is especially true if your enemy persists. If the confrontation escalates don't add any energy or emotion. Get away. Once all this has played out and your enemy keeps coming you now know the stakes. There is no such thing as a beating or an attack that can't result in a painful death on your part. This is not a TV episode. It does not often happen but once is once too many. You must be prepared to act as if your life and the life of your passengers are at risk. Road rage is no trivial matter. First, cal 911. Next, don't take your enemy to your home. Don't drive like a madman. Drive toward police help that is drive in a populated area where the police can find you based on your call as you continue driving. If all this is unavailable you'll have to fall back on your resources but keep moving so your enemy will have time to cool off and break off the attack.

Before a problem ever occurs always drive carefully. Always have your car in good shape and keep the gas tank as full as practical. Never take the right of way at intersections or in parking lots. Be willing to wait or go some other way. Always have your cell phone. If you are driving home be aware of anyone that stays behind you for any length of time. If so, don't take them home. Any other preparations are up to you, that is having CCW or pepper spray or whatever. But always fly under everyone else's radar. Stay out of the way. You never know what another person is thinking or what they are capable of or worse yet what their problems might be. Road rage is not really common but it happens often enough to be something to actively avoid.

Not worth jail or paying a lawyer. I'm not worried about my safety as I'm always armed (retired police officer).

I don't get mad anymore. Just not worth it. I would also hate to wreck the Truck, Trans Am or Caprice. All would be difficult to replace. The truck especially. Low miles (50,000) 3/4 ton that I paid 12,000 for 8 years ago. It would cost too much to replace it.

It is best to just keep cool.....

When you "get the other party involved" ...

.......it often doesn't end well.

Originally Posted By: Wurlitzer
Let him who is a perfect driver be the first to flip the bird.

I like the way you think.

I'm 22 been driving since I was 16. It's really not worth it. Keeping my cool while driving has helped me avoid some bad accidents. It's when you show emotions (anger, frustration, excitement) that bad things happen. Missed an exit? Take the next one. Stuck in traffic? Take a deep breath. You're only going as fast as the person in front of you. EVERYONE just wants to get home. At the end of the day it's your life and the lives of your loved ones at stake. If not for yourself, keep your cool for them.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Do you want to die or get beat up ?

Just ignore the fool on the the roadway.

Sir, you are going to live a long time!

I used to be real bad, but since starting this job and having a company truck curbed that ALOT. There's the phone number and company logo plastered all over the truck. Rule is, if somebody calls you in, you have to call and apologize right or wrong. Not happening...

I try really hard not to get drawn into these games.
What is it with people who would say only "excuse me, sir" to your face that makes them think they're brave warriors when driving a car?
It is tempting to force some of these people to stop and to ask them what they thought they were doing, but people with serious personality disorders tend to go armed and dead men tell no tales.
Best just to listen to NPR or an oldies rock station and make your way to your destination unworried by the silliness around you.
WRT a post above, if I want to lose you in a car, that'll be no problem regardless of what either of us is driving.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Lots of Glocks in glove compartments. I stay away from that stuff.

SF

Glove compartment is too far away. I wedge mine between the seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back