How many people still use paper maps?

Do paper Lake contour maps count ?
My county is flat as a pancake for the most part, and almost square at 32x34 miles. Only contours are the rivers and streams. But the NW and SE corners are hilly. And the lowest point is a river running north (kind of odd). Highest point is ~750', lowest ~500'.

I have a contour map.

I used maps before GPS was a thing. I still use maps because 'Google Maps' often gives poor or just plain wrong directions. I recall one time in Denver, Google Maps had me literally driving in circles around my destination.

In fact Google Maps STILL doesn't know where I live. I've tried too many times to count to get them to correct their error. They think they know better.

The DeLOME state atlas series is my favorite for scouting cycling and motorcycling roads. They also provide topo lines.

91bfnJI9lgL._SY466_.jpg

I usually get a new Rand-McNally US road atlas every couple years just to have. When we DO travel, I always have the "route less traveled" memorized by using one and have a far better trip because of it. Get to see all kinds of neat stuff on the backroads that you'd NEVER see on the interstates. When my wife used to travel for work before we were married, I'd accompany her on most trips. I'd grab a paper map and pour all over it to know my way around. Always amazed my wife that (coupled with my Magellan-like sense of navigation) : (1) I always knew where we were, (2) knew how to get wherever we needed to go, and (3) never got lost. I learned Las Vegas in a morning and went all kinds of neat places by that afternoon just by having read the map. Ah, the good ole days.

Back