YouTube is for entertainment

Every time someone posts a link to a YouTube, it seems like the "get off my lawn" or "yell at the cloud" types have to chime in with their critiques. A few of us repeat it every time that most of these YouTubers are professionals. Not professional auto mechanics (well, they are) or carpenters or electricians or whatever-you-want-to-fill-in-the-blank with, they are (now) entertainers. This article, https://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-youtube-pays-for-one-million-subscribers, explains why they're doing it.

Sure, there are videos that can help you or I accomplish some task but at the end of day, these people are doing this for their bank accounts !

Every time someone posts a link to a YouTube, it seems like the "get off my lawn" or "yell at the cloud" types have to chime in with their critiques. A few of us repeat it every time that most of these YouTubers are professionals. Not professional auto mechanics (well, they are) or carpenters or electricians or whatever-you-want-to-fill-in-the-blank with, they are (now) entertainers. This article, https://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-youtube-pays-for-one-million-subscribers, explains why they're doing it.

Sure, there are videos that can help you or I accomplish some task but at the end of day, these people are doing this for their bank accounts !
Who cares if it helps you with what you need and saves you from having to hire someone that has the knowledge. Lots of crap on YouTube, but I ignore it. I have saved thousands of dollars watching an automotive or appliance repair. It is pretty easy to tell what is legit and what is BS.

It varies depending on how long each view actually watches, but a good rule of thumb is that 1 million views is worth about $3000. So if you're a channel with a good following you can make some pretty serious money.
How much money is South Main Auto making off YouTube? I imagine quite a bit.

I know a kid who is now a full time mechanic after being too poor to get his car fixed, and doing it himself after watching YouTube. He was so inspired by his ability to fix the car that he went down the mechanic path. He’d been lost for a few years trying to figure himself out.

Very cool how YouTube worked out for him. I know it helps me be a better mechanic as well. I would not have had the parts ready to also do the oil pump gasket on my sons Camry during the timing belt change if not for YouTube. That was actually leaking badly, and I was able to fix it immediately.

Then there are the political videos. No thanks. That’s not entertainment or personal growth and not worth watching.

Vice Grip Garage, Speed Academy, Trail Recon, Dirt Daily….. that’s all good relaxing fun.

YouTube is my favorite form of education, international news, and entertainment. Any time something breaks around the house, I take to YouTube to see how to fix it. Most of the time it works out very well, and I have saved a lot.

I look at someone like Rainman Ray, who went out on his own and opened his own shop late last year after getting fired from his day job.

From what he's said in his videos, he basically picks and chooses what he works on these days. If I had to guess, his repair income is probably pretty low and instead the shop is more or less just a way for him to always have fresh content for his channel. I only watch him in spurts, but I recall one where he was working on a Jeep rear end and promised to supply some uprated/high end parts on his own dime if the video got XXX views and/or got him a certain number of new subscribers. That makes me think that a few hundred dollars in differential parts were probably minor compared to the income/views from all of those people.

There's serious money in it for people who can get a good following, and unfortunately the quality of information at least for some can come secondary to just generating the clicks and views.

There are algorithms that calculate things like watch time and as I understand it the higher your percentages of watched videos, the better it is for money making. I have been posting videos this summer for an online asynchronous class I'm teaching(it's been a project in planning for a while but not actually executed). I can see all these stats, but of course am not actually making money off them and wouldn't be able to as I don't have anywhere near the views or subscribers. About half my traffic comes from the links I post on Blackboard and the other half comes from pretty much anywhere, so at least some people seeing them. I can see all of these stats, though, like percentage watched and so on.

To that point, though, I suspect that's why some channels run as they do. Project Farm talks like he drinks 3 pots of coffee before every video probably to make them short enough that people will watch through. Taryl Fixes All eats up the first couple of minutes of every movie with a stupid, corny skit because it increases watch time before actually getting to the content.

You’ll always have people who bash YouTube no matter how reputable the person is. I personally like a few who are not thought of highly here but they do have correct answers and information. Even though I do this for a living and have access to factory repair information and diagrams I still YouTube things sometimes. It’s easier for me to see if being done and do it than it be shown on a diagram. Plus they get mad at work because I use so much paper printing off diagrams because I can’t use a computer to follow along I just can’t. I wish i could make a living off YouTube haha. It’s just too hard to record repairs and we can’t record at my dealership so I’d have to do stuff that I do at home.

I have a grandchild who is ten that can make better videos than some I have seen posted on here.....

I find it really easy to figure out who is there to help you, and who is trying to generate revenue only.

If they ramble on an on about what there going to talk about later - there trying to keep you longer and get paid more.

If the first thing they do is "make sure to hit like and subscribe" - ditto. If its like the last thing at the end, that's different.

If they use giant text and gimmicks to get you to click, and the video is about something else - ditto.

On the other hand, if the video is straight and to the point - with no gimmicks - and even better if its indexed - then I feel they deserve whatever money they get.

The problem is for every channel that “makes money” whatever that means there are a thousand others that make $100 or less a month.

Lot of my very professionally made channels are like that due to the subject, then they rely on patrion or whatever other monetization scheme plus potentially a sponsor

Back