How many people still use paper maps?

Let me start by saying "I do".

Whenever I plan a road trip I get paper maps of the areas I'm driving through and traveling to. A paper map aids my sense of direction, helps me visualize my progress, and shows me alternative routes should I need or choose them.

Long story short, we have a couple friend who are retired Apple employees. They use their devices for everything, especially their iPhones. With them it's always, "Hey Siri" this, "Hey Siri" that.

They were planning a trip to Zion NP, so Sue and I invited them over to share our experiences and suggest a route. Honestly, they had absolutely no idea on exactly how they would get there, besides getting step by step instructions on their iPhones.

I got maps for them and his wife laughed them off as "useless relics", literally using those words. I forced the maps on them anyway, with yellow highlights showing the route.

Not surprisingly they didn't take the maps. Upon their return when we got together to discuss their trip they asked, "Did we travel through Arizona to get there?". They didn't even know which states they drove through!

Scott

Edit: Let me add, I use GPS instructions when in cities to find our hotel, etc. But for road trip travels, maps FTW!

Last edited:
Our truck is full of Benchmark atlases and waterproof maps of most of the western and central U.S. They add to our "situational awareness" when we are traveling.

We do use our phones when necessary when in cities.

Some folks have become so focused on technology that they lose sight of the big picture and situation.

But I'm old school.

I thought the story was going to say when they got to Zion there was no network and they got hopelessly lost. ;)

When flying, I have paper charts & routes as a backup. When driving, I don't use paper maps but I do have 2 different devices, each with an app that has states downloaded to RAM so it can function without any network connection. Even if GPS fails, you still have the map.

No, probably won't go back, but I will admit, it's a good skill to have. So far, every electronic device has failed me at one time or another, and I want to say, my smartphone has done it the most. A paper map can go bad (get wet, torn, whatever) but at least the batteries are always good.

Now paying attention to where I am, and figuring out how to go from there, hate to say it but after driving the same road for too many years, I rarely pay attention to mile markers.

I like paper maps when I'm exploring roads less traveled. I like to be able to unfold the whole map open, and then find roads other than interstates to get where I'm going. When you have a paper map opened fully, you can get the sense of scale and finite detail all at the same time.

I have a catalog of paper maps I use when traveling.

Last edited:
We carry a 50-state road atlas with us and will sometimes go to AAA to get state-specific maps. In general, we carry our phones (each on separate carriers), and a stand-alone GPS for when we're out in the boonies with no cell signal.

Yes prefer paper maps. Fortunately I usually only drive to work and back and that’s it. So I rarely ever have to use a map. My dad is a truck driver and uses 4 GPS and 2 atlas’s and all of the GPS say to do one thing and the map shows otherwise or better ways. It’s hard to find someone that even uses a standalone GPS anymore. Don’t get me wrong I love my iPhone but I don’t rely on it for everything. I’m very old school on most things. I know people who are 30 and older who can’t even read a map.

On trips I use GPS for navigation but always carry paper maps from Rand McNally and the US Forest Service for back up. Many times I am in areas with no cell reception that would allow my smart phone to update its maps, so then I need to rely on my paper maps. Last Fall I was camping in WV and lost cell reception for about 24 hours. My wife was pretty upset because I failed to call her at a prescribed time and she sent a Ranger out to find me. Lesson learned-always call you wife before you think you might loose reception!

Back