Recommend me the best for Miata

I'm getting ready to dump my factory fill and need some ideas. I've got a 2022 Mazda Miata. It's mainly a weekend driver with a few commutes planned. It will sometimes be driven rather spirited, maybe even up to the redline. I want an oil that will easily handle my driving habits and last for a 6 month OCI. I've narrowed it down to three different oils.
1. Red Line High Performance 0w-20
2. HPLoil 0w-20
3. Advanced Lubricants Super Car Motor Oil 0w-20

I know that any of these oils will do a great job, but I wanted opinions on which one MAY best suit my needs.

These engines are generally easy on oil.
I have used ST syn 5-20 with great results in my 2019 MX-5.
The engine cares far less about lubes than you do.
You can use a really expensive oil, but your engine doesn't need a super expensive oil to give great wear.
I averaged 1ppm/1k miles of Fe; the other metals are really low (Cu is a wear-in metal that will drop as more OCIs come along).
My OCIs are about 1 year; 10k miles give or take.

I'm not sure how you define "best", but I think any lube that can keep wear low, handle contamination admiriably, and has a reasonable cost is a candidate for "best".

Here's a snip from my most recent UOA using ST

Last edited:
If you insist on tossing money away, I'd go with the Red-Line. You really should open up your accepted oil window.
I do 100% realize that any off-the-Walmart-shelf synthetic will work just fine....but that's just not how I roll. I like a super base oil as well as a heavy add-pack with lots of moly. Just my preference.

I have Red Line in my 2019 miata, but it’s MT-90 in the transmission. Got PUP 0w20 in now. If you change it every 6 months like I do cost of the oil is a factor to me.

I’d just go with any oil off the shelf at Walmart that meets the requirements listed in your owners manual. Me personally, I’d run a 5w-30 if you plan on running it hard. But 0w-20 will suffice.

You should research here on the different forms of molybdenum. A bigger number is not the whole story.
From what I understand, two different types exist. Of the 3 boutique oils I listed, I am assuming it is the higher quality moly. Maybe I am wrong?

I know that any of these oils will do a great job, but I wanted opinions on which one MAY best suit my needs.

This isn't about making a logical choice; it's about emotional confirmation. You just want someone to agree with your perceived notion of what's "best" even though you have only laid out three criteria; time, driving habits and Moly.

- The 6 month OCI (limited by occasional driving on weekends and a few commutes) means distance is moot in this case. My guess is your planned OCI will be 5k miles or less. Hence, this is inconsequential to the decision as any of those three lubes will never be distinuishable in 6 month OCIs in your application; nor would about any other for that matter. So the OCI duration is completely useless criteria for making a decision.

- Driving habits include "maybe" occasional runs to redline and sprirted driving. You're not going to flog this thing in AX racing; you're just going to toodle around and "maybe" wring it out on rare occasion. There is zero reason to believe that those three lubes you metion (or a slew of others you seem to believe inferior) won't handle the stress (or lack thereof). So this also is a moot point.

- You have stated a preference for moly, of which you already know that "moly" is a term for things you don't fully understand. You have no idea of what moly is present in these three lubes, and therefore you have no ability to make an informed decision in this regard either. Even if you knew a quantity of moly, you wouldn't know how much moly was "enough" moly; you'd probably take the Murican approach that more is always better ...

So .... This isn't about making a logical choice; it's about emotional confirmation. You just want someone to agree with your perceived notion of what's "best" even though you haven't used practical criteria for your decision. Hence - this is an emotional plea and not a logical one. Sir - at the risk of being percieved as terse, just put on your big-boy pants and pick one of the three. It only matters to your ID and only you can satisfy your ID. Seriously, there's nothing wrong whatsoever in making an emotional decision, as long as you can admit it's an emotional decision and not try to convince others (or yourself) by justifying the journey with lies. As soon as you admit that logic does not play into this, that will free you of all concerns and let your ID be happy. Any of those lubes you inquire about are more than adequate to do the job, and they would be unable to distinguish themsevles in a 6 month OCI in your planned use. Pick one and move on.

Back