Opinion needed on Kia Oil and Filter choice

Its a kia, its doesnt matter whatever the manual says. Warranty is what 7 years? Motor will be gone by then anyway lol
10 years, 100k miles. Hopefully I won't even need it!
Sure does drive nice at this point and I can't even hear the engine from inside the car.
Outside standing in front it sounds kind of like 16 little sewing machines happily sewing away.
Best thing I bought for it so far are Husky floor mats and a nice little plug n play "Auto stop Eliminator" module that took 1 minute to install.

Hi All.

Just picked up a new 24 Kia Seltos 2.0 MPI. 250 miles on it now and looking for some opinions.

I know it's a Kia, but it does have a long warranty and it is kind of cute!

Anyway my plan is to eventually get the 0w-20 "break in oil" out soon and change to something less concerned with Cafe Standards.

1. Mileage suggestion for first oil change?

2. My personal choices are M1 0w-30 or M1 5w-30. I'm leaning towards 0w-30 for the faster start up flow but I'm not up on it's current additive package and how that might effect the decision in choosing it over the old standby 5w-30.

I'm in temperate So. IL and was planing on a 5k OCI.

3. As far as filters I have 7 Napa Gold 1334's left over from a J.D./Yanmar tractor I sold. I was surprised to discover they will work on the Kia.

Can I assume they will filter as good or better than an OEM Kia?

4. Thanks in advance for your opinion. No need to comment about the factory warranty as I understand all of the implications. I know some will disagree but I'm old school and I wouldn't run 0w-20 if it was free (well almost). :)
Enjoy the car! With my Hyundai (same cars essentially), I didn’t care. Reason being is even brand new, it was in the shop every other week. Ended up seizing itself at 6,201 miles with electrical, motor, and other issues… so badly that the dealer told me to go file lemon law. Absolute junk heap. Document, document, document your receipts and fluid changes. They tried giggling me on “you changed your oil” until I proved I didn’t. Ever. I’m sure Kia/Hyundai will fight you to the end if you don’t document your fluid changes well.

Can't ever go wrong with a fram tough guard or better. You can use a titanium for 2-3 olm runs no issue. It's mpi and not the combination mpi/gdi kind. Run whatever you want. I'd probably use a 30 grade euro like Castrol edge euro 5w-30. But the cvt is another thing and for that I'd suggest you buy amsoil cvt and change that soon and then every 25k miles if you want it to last as long as it can. It's better than the oem fill.
Thanks for the advice concerning the CVT maintenance.
I didn't realize until I got the car the 2024's no longer have a CVT. Now it is an IVT!
Intelligent Variable Transmission. I'd laugh if it's just a name change. Can't stop progress huh.
In any case it will still need a fluid change so I appreciate the reminder and Amsoil recommendation.

Thanks for the advice concerning the CVT maintenance.
I didn't realize until I got the car the 2024's no longer have a CVT. Now it is an IVT!
Intelligent Variable Transmission. I'd laugh if it's just a name change. Can't stop progress huh.
In any case it will still need a fluid change so I appreciate the reminder and Amsoil recommendation.
The IVTs arrived for 2020. We have one in our 2020 Kia Soul.
Hopefully all the Bugs are out of them by-now. :unsure:

Thanks for everyone's opinion. Now all I have to do is drive it and get ready for the first change to replace the factory fill, somewhere between 1000 and 5000 miles is the consensus. Looking forward to it!
desktop.jpg

Just got a good UOA report back on my Telluride, using Amsoil OE 5w-30. 6000 km's; low wear metals, and plenty of TBN left. I'm sure I go through a bunch more gasoline in my 3.8 vs your 2.0, so you could problaby extrapolate more distance in your car to reach the same numbers.

Back