Opinion needed on Kia Oil and Filter choice

Hi All.

Just picked up a new 24 Kia Seltos 2.0 MPI. 250 miles on it now and looking for some opinions.

I know it's a Kia, but it does have a long warranty and it is kind of cute!

Anyway my plan is to eventually get the 0w-20 "break in oil" out soon and change to something less concerned with Cafe Standards.

1. Mileage suggestion for first oil change?

2. My personal choices are M1 0w-30 or M1 5w-30. I'm leaning towards 0w-30 for the faster start up flow but I'm not up on it's current additive package and how that might effect the decision in choosing it over the old standby 5w-30.

I'm in temperate So. IL and was planing on a 5k OCI.

3. As far as filters I have 7 Napa Gold 1334's left over from a J.D./Yanmar tractor I sold. I was surprised to discover they will work on the Kia.

Can I assume they will filter as good or better than an OEM Kia?

4. Thanks in advance for your opinion. No need to comment about the factory warranty as I understand all of the implications. I know some will disagree but I'm old school and I wouldn't run 0w-20 if it was free (well almost). :)

The filter (If it is indeed a 1334 and not a 1344 which IS a filter for industrial use) crosses over to several Hyundai models, so pretty sure it's the Wix/NAPA replacement for the -35505 Filter. I know it fits 2019-2024 Seltos. Your location doesn't really warrant a 0w, but if your owner's manual states a 0W, which I believe Hyundai/Kia is going to in most all their vehicles now, then, by all means, the 30 will do just fine. The 2L engines "like" a heavier oil. AS for the first change, I would run it to 5K and just do the 5K intervals. I've owned several Hyundai's, and all of them were driven out to 5K before I changed. If you can't sleep at night with that, then cut it in half and change at 2500. There is no "break in" oil used, it is the same bulk oil used a the dealers. And "I know it's a KIA" doesn't mean squat. They are good cars for the money. Hope you enjoy it!

Break in oil? Factory fill is good to change out around 1000 miles that’s what I always have done with new vehicles. While under warranty I would use oe filters and stick with the owners manual recommendations on oil viscosity. There’s nothing wrong with 0w20 it’s nothing new and has many proven miles on the road ways.

Awh come on folks, I was being facetious about the break in oil. I said I was old school, back in the day oil that thin would have been break in oil to a lot of people. I have no problem with the 0 part, it's the 20 part I don't care for.

It is used on Asian tractors but the forum indicates Napa Gold filters are well made and the choice of some instead of OEM.
I figured if they are quality why not use them. I haven't had time to research it fully on here but some have cast doubt on how effective the Kia OEM filtration actually is.

Me personally I would change the factory fill around 1000 miles with super tech 5w30, run that around 3000 miles, then change again with M1 0/5W30 and start your regular oci’s

I had some Purolator oil filters I had left over from my motorcycle that fit on her Altima so I ran those in her car until I ran out and then went to Fram. I say if you have the filters might as well use them

I have the same engine in my Hyundai. The dealer used 10w30, so I wrote to Hyundai to find the engine oil grade they recommended, and they informed me that in Australia 5w30 is what they recommend.

Until evidence is provided that the Hyundai/ Kia oil filter is substandard, I will only use the OEM filter and regarding costs the OEM filter is cheaper to buy from the dealer than aftermarket filters unless they are on special, so on special one could save perhaps $2.

YouTube is filled with experts cutting up oil filters and claim that one filter is better that another filter, take those experts with a grain of salt. Enjoy your new car.

Owners' Manual calls for 'recommended' 0w-20 SN+/SP oil. Nowhere it says you must use that viscosity. Personally, I'd use an ACEA C2/C3 oil in 0w-30 or 5w-30. OEM oil filter or a twin by MANN.

I have that engine in my Hyundai. OEM filter and 5-30 oil.
Exact same. Don't overthink it. Hyundai oil filters are cheap and well made. Run those with any 5W-30, 5k mile intervals, and you'll be fine. The MPI engines are pretty decent. Great fuel economy, not a lot of power, but otherwise good little engines.

Can't ever go wrong with a fram tough guard or better. You can use a titanium for 2-3 olm runs no issue. It's mpi and not the combination mpi/gdi kind. Run whatever you want. I'd probably use a 30 grade euro like Castrol edge euro 5w-30. But the cvt is another thing and for that I'd suggest you buy amsoil cvt and change that soon and then every 25k miles if you want it to last as long as it can. It's better than the oem fill.

I’d go a good 1,000 on that factory fill, then maybe use Mobil1 5W30 with a Fram ultra. Figure, if you’re only going 5,000 miles (and not planning on using 0W20), Mobil1 seems like a good brand/reasonable price.

Its a kia, its doesnt matter whatever the manual says. Warranty is what 7 years? Motor will be gone by then anyway lol

Using tractor oil filters on a brand new car. That’s a new one.
It really isn't a concern, you are just looking at it the wrong way.
Yanmar used a car oil filter on a brand new tractor!
They are Napa 1334 filters made by Wix = Wix 51334 which by most accounts are just as good quality wise as Kia's own filter. Also on the plus side these are "original" Wix before they were bought out.

Back