PU Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I am confused. Are people thinking SOPUS has discontinued Ultra just because Wally's is clearing it out, or for some other reason?

Wally's is only going to keep big movers for the most part. Pennzoil Platinum was probably the worst thing for Ultra at Wally's. Plenty of oils that have been long gone from Wally's for years are still around, like Valvoline Durablend or Castrol Synblend for example.

I'm not convinced the sky is falling on Ultra yet.

+1 I agree.

I haven't seen any PU or ML Full Syn at the WM's in my area lately. I'm sure in time it will return.

It's interesting that not too long ago, a number of AutoZone employees apparently were under the impression that Ultra was either being discontinued or at least not carried by AZ anymore. Now Walmart is clearancing it out as well.

Interesting.

There were 10-15 quarts of PU at the Lexington NC store today. I passed, just having bought 4 jugs of other stuff on sale. If its there the next trip, I may get some, but would just as soon run PP for $22.47 as opposed to $25 for PU quarts.

My local WM no longer carries ultra, but they did start carrying PP 0W-20 so tbh, it's an acceptable trade off. Picked up a Jug for the focus.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It's interesting that not too long ago, a number of AutoZone employees apparently were under the impression that Ultra was either being discontinued or at least not carried by AZ anymore. Now Walmart is clearancing it out as well.

Interesting.

PU was never stocked at the local AZ's in my area, even though their ads advertised it during sales.

Looked for it at Wally World today all they had was 10w30 and 5w20
mad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like the oil, I would hoard it while you can.

I bought 5 cases of the honda 0w20 indemistu sm before it was dropped by honda.

Originally Posted By: termigator

Interesting.

PU was never stocked at the local AZ's in my area, even though their ads advertised it during sales.

Some time back, I asked about PU, at Auto Zone, when it was advertised as a sale item along with PP.

The employees at AZ never heard of "Pennzoil Ultra"???

I had to show the AZ employee's the the advertisement in the AZ flyer for PU or PP along with K&N filter.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Is there more information about the availability of PU stock, or lack there of?

Seems a number of Walmarts are putting it on close out. I like this oil and would like to continue using it.

Is it worth it to stock up on 5qt jugs now or just see what comes out in it's place and run that? With the variety of Walmarts I have around me, I'm sure I could stock up 100,000 miles or more of oil changes relatively easy.

Our local Walmart quit stocking it soon after it came out. It just didn't sell. It's not available anywhere in my town, not AAP, AZ at least.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
Originally Posted By: racer12306
Is there more information about the availability of PU stock, or lack there of?

Seems a number of Walmarts are putting it on close out. I like this oil and would like to continue using it.

Is it worth it to stock up on 5qt jugs now or just see what comes out in it's place and run that? With the variety of Walmarts I have around me, I'm sure I could stock up 100,000 miles or more of oil changes relatively easy.

Our local Walmart quit stocking it soon after it came out. It just didn't sell. It's not available anywhere in my town, not AAP, AZ at least.

I think SOPUS screwed up with their product names, and that's why PU didn't sell very well. The way product names work, the average consumer is going to see "Platinum" to be the "best", so why would they pay more for "Ultra"? PP should have been "Gold" and PU should have been "Platinum".

Quote:
I think SOPUS screwed up with their product names, and that's why PU didn't sell very well. The way product names work, the average consumer is going to see "Platinum" to be the "best", so why would they pay more for "Ultra"? PP should have been "Gold" and PU should have been "Platinum".

I personally never saw it that way. Even before I discovered BiTOG, I didn't understand what the point of even offering Platinum anymore was. It would seem anything Platinum can do, Ultra does better and the price difference per bottle between the two amounts to about $1. If you have PYB (dino) = Good, Gold (Blend) = Better, Ultra (full syn) = Best... where does that leave Platinum?

I guess it just depends on your point of view.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Originally Posted By: termigator

Interesting.

Some time back, I asked about PU, at Auto Zone, when it was advertised as a sale item along with PP.

The employees at AZ never heard of "Pennzoil Ultra"???

I had to show the AZ employee's the the advertisement in the AZ flyer for PU or PP along with K&N filter.

I went to an AutoZone today for something else but I checked the oils.

They had PU in quarts only. In think the price was $9.59/quart. I don't remember if the W was 5 or 10 but it was ?w-30.

"I went to an AutoZone today for something else but I checked the oils.

They had PU in quarts only. In think the price was $9.59/quart. I don't remember if the W was 5 or 10 but it was ?w-30."

So....if your lucky and find the quart bottles in Walmart....it's like getting the PU for 1/2 price or B1G1F.

Still quite a good deal for an oil that's hard to find.

Every Walmart I've been to in S FL has Ultra on clearance.

I think the black colored Pennzoil bottle was a bad marketing decision.

I stocked up an PU 5w20 and 5w30 tonight. I have three Wal-Marts in my town and only one has their PU on clearance, the other two are still full price. I picked up 3 jugs each of SM 5w20 and 5w30 with a thick layer of dust on them for $21 a piece. That is a solid 60K+ (and SIX years) worth of miles for my Optima. They had quarts on sale for $5 a piece but that would be $25 for an OCI and Mobil 1 is $24.XX now around here so, I passed on the quarts.

I just sent in three $10 rebates, one for me, one for my brother and one for my dad. So, not a bad catch for swinging into Wal-Mart for vacuum filters.

Just came back from one of the local Wal-Marts and they had SM rated Ultra in 5W30, 10W30 and 5W20 marked down to $4 each. They were also selling Castrol Edge w/ Titanium 5W30 and 0w20 for $4 each. (Single quarts of course).

Just to add to this list. The three walmarts in my area no longer stock PU. Nothing, not even any on clearance. That oil line didn't last to long at walmart.

You think it didn't last long in Florida? You should have seen how quickly Walmarts up here got rid of it. I haven't seen a jug up here for well over a year. Edge with Titanium is faring a tad better, but I really can't see how, since the PU was priced the same and the last Edge with Titanium I saw (like last week) was still SM/GF-4.

I suppose selling a name brand motor oil at prices north of the boutiques isn't a recipe for success, particularly if you don't market them as long drain oils, or wait forever and a day to come out with a competitor to M1 0w-40 and GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back