RP worth over the competition (Walmart Pricing)

thanks all for the information,will still continue to run Royal Purple as its what i got on hand
Really good oil.
I wouldn't hold my head down, should someone ask me what oil brand I use.
It's priced similar to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and just because it doesn't say "20k Oil" on the front of the jug, well neither does the very good Pennzoil PUP product. I may try it, for the daughter's GMC Acadia next spring.

Since (according to some here) I'm already spending too much money for GMC Acadia oil already, then I'll just keep that larger spending trend going some more. Wait' I'm already over-spend using Amsoil & PUP. Geez.... I hate over-spending on oils.......but really I'm not!!! Neither are the HPL Products crowd of buyers.

Don't mind the jealous folks here. What you're doing may even turn out to be the right thing - as your vehicle ages. Sleep well and Happy Holidays Ahead.

Last edited:
Really good oil.
It's priced similar to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and just because it doesn't say "20k Oil" on the front of the jug, well neither does the very good Pennzoil PUP product. I may try it, for the daughter's GMC Acadia next spring.

Since (according to some here) I'm already spending too much money for GMC Acadia oil already, then I'll just keep that larger spending trend going some more. Wait' I'm already over-spend using Amsoil & PUP. Geez.... I hate over-spending on oils.......but really I'm not!!! Neither are the HPL Products crowd of buyers.

Don't mind the jealous folks here. What you're doing may even turn out to be the right thing - as your vehicle ages. Sleep well and Happy Holidays Ahead.
Amazing thing, some of the die hard RP haters foamed at the mouth about RP's pricing, but gloated about buying a better priced oil for their beemer or caddy that they overpaid 10's of thousands of dollars for.

Really good oil.

This is a very, very good post in my opinion.

Run what you want to and be happy about it. As long as it meets your winter rating conditions and necessary hot oil HTHS needs for that motor… Run it happily.

I will say RP available at Walmart is definitely priced kinda high for being a API SP and Dexos approved oil. But hey… Of someone likes that and wants to run that in their car or truck… Go for it in my opinion.

I have run RP in my old Nissan Altima VQ a few times.

Also Royal Purple XPR and Royal Purple HPS are really good oils for high performance motors. I believe quite strongly these two oils still have the Synerlec additive package in them like the real OG RP oil used to have in them. These oils are quite a bit of more money vs regular RP available at Walmart. But if one has a highly stressed and tuned motor in a car than those two RP oils are worth running.

Also Royal Purple XPR and Royal Purple HPS are really good oils for high performance motors. I believe quite strongly these two oils still have the Synerlec additive package in them like the real OG RP oil used to have in them.

XPR does (though stripped some), but HPS does not. HPS is essentially a copycat of Valvoline synthetic VR1. The two oils practically overlay one another in FTIR. The only difference is the dye and price. The add pack is just an SP pack with +50% more ZDDP top treatment.

try to keep a eye out for sale pricing on RP pcmo,farm and fleet had it on sale for $29.99 recently

XPR does (though stripped some), but HPS does not. HPS is essentially a copycat of Valvoline synthetic VR1. The two oils practically overlay one another in FTIR. The only difference is the dye and price. The add pack is just an SP pack with +50% more ZDDP top treatment.

It’s not often I disagree with ya… Hardly ever in fact. But in this case I kinda do disagree with you.

The following states something different…

From their website… Clearly stating it has a good dose of the Synerlec additive package…

I was not off base… Thought I remembered that right. It straight up says it has the Synerlec additive package in the HPS oil line.

And it states it on the quart container.

HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINE OIL (WITH SYNERLEC®)​

“ Royal Purple HPS oils are fortified with a high level of zinc / phosphorus anti-wear additive and a generous dose of Royal Purple’s proprietary Synerlec® additive technology. These unique formulations enable HPS oils to outperform leading synthetic and conventional lubricants in both gasoline and diesel engines.”

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpeg
    IMG_0430.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I usually stop by walmart and pick up my oil, and have found that they have RP in stock. See price chart bellow. I usually use Valvoline since its good value for 5qt which is exactly the amount I need and is almost always in stock. But, would RP be worth it for that 11$ more for 5qt?

FULL SYNTH 5w301qt5qt
Super Tech$ 5.28$ 19.98
Chevron Supreme$ 4.58$ 22.90
Quaker State$ 5.72$ 22.97
Valvoline Advanced$ 8.98$ 26.97
Penzoil Full Synth$ 7.66$ 26.44
Castrol EDGE Advanced/HM$ 8.88$ 28.94
Mobil1 Advanced/HM$ 8.78$ 26.97
Royal Purple HP$ 9.07$ 37.56
Mobile1 Extended Protection$ 9.67
Honestly, I woud just go with the supertech.
The chances of there being a discernible difference between any of them are almost 0.

It's more the "this oil does better on the butt plug 9000 super lube test, therefore, it's the bestest possible oil EVER!!! And this totally supersedes all the tests done by the OEM's, who are complicit in a secret scheme by the WEF and the Lizard People for engines to wear out quicker so they can be forced into Uncle Elon's mind control and EV's".
Ixnay on the Izardslay.

We don't talk about them around here. :whistle:

even I am guilty of a sale to buy during the holidays. I used up the very last bit of 0w-20 and 5W20 during this last service I just had done. so I figured I better get some more in. I will usually add a little over a quart and a half at each oil change with the Exxon Mobil 0w30 and then when it gets hot enough in the summer I will run one or two at full strength Red line. I was on Amazon today and it's already over $65 a gallon so I did okay! their new specifications for burnoff and high temperature high shear I don't think can be beat by anyone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231130_105755_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231130_105755_Samsung Internet.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20231125_182122_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231125_182122_Drive.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20231125_182204_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231125_182204_Drive.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 38
For what it's worth it's hard to beat RP in my opinion. For the money Valvoline is an excellent oil as well. I haven't ever used Redline before but, like Amsoil it's more of a boutique than RP if you ask me. Price is substantially more than most and I'm trying to understand what makes it that much better. My motor should be spotless for one and last much longer with proper intervals vs the others to justify the costs difference. If not it's senseless. I just never understood all the hate on RP. I guess the purple dye? Who knows. The times I've talked to them they were very forthcoming with information other than propriety stuff which is understandable.

Royal Purple turned me off on that weird marketing they had about "polishing engine parts" which just seemed odd to me. I thought the whole point of an oil was to preserve metal, not cause wear. I'm sure it was all BS and the oil is likely excellent, but I just didn't like the blowing smoke up backsides approach to it. Fleet Farm here carries their products and it's readily available but Castrol and Mobil 1 is more affordable at Walmart anyway.

For what it's worth it's hard to beat RP in my opinion. For the money Valvoline is an excellent oil as well. I haven't ever used Redline before but, like Amsoil it's more of a boutique than RP if you ask me. Price is substantially more than most and I'm trying to understand what makes it that much better. My motor should be spotless for one and last much longer with proper intervals vs the others to justify the costs difference. If not it's senseless. I just never understood all the hate on RP. I guess the purple dye? Who knows. The times I've talked to them they were very forthcoming with information other than propriety stuff which is understandable.
Ahh the "hate" moniker. Always sounds like a 12 year-old talking about his parents.

RP uoa vs Pennzoil
The wear numbers are very similar despite the vis on RP being closer to starting vis. You could probably run RP for longer because of this and the TBN still being 4.0, but I don't know that this makes it worth the extra money. You probably could not run it twice as long.

Back