Prime Guard or Fram EG

My first PG extended life filter was in 8/15 as shown. I first purchased the basic model but for my 2014 Mitsubishi Sport AWD I got this one.

I foolishly put it on the day before I left for Florida. I drove 16 hrs straight and the oil was 5w20 Magnatec

I kept getting under the car to see if it burst or was leaking..all during the trip it worried me like a dang fool. It had a slightly smaller OD. and height than the other brands and a oring style seal. It really made me nervous too.

I was just 3 months out of open heart surgery goofing with this thing. Scorching hot asphalt and climbing under the car like an idiot.
1000002027.jpg

In the end I ran it out about 11K miles and cut it open and it was perfect. But then like now it was too expensive to be really competitive.

I would use it again though without worry. Lesson learned.

If they were side by side on the shelf and you were doing 5k oil changes which would you choose?

I’ve never used prime guard before. I would use them for my work car, a 2000 Buick Century. I drive 50 miles each way all highway, and I do my oil changes every 5k-ish miles.

My Rural King has them for $1.99 each and the Fram I usually get from Amazon for around $4. Not a big deal on price, just made me curious.

Just wanting to know y’all’s thoughts.
I'd close my eyes and pick one.

I wrote a review back then it was a good filter but the price was the issue.
They need to make it a 20K filter for the same price and if it's good it will be the new darling here..eh?
Premium Guard and MircoGard Select seem to becoming a well liked filter here. I bought a MicroGard Select a week ago for one of my vehicles. Dropping Motorcraft and going for a MicroGard instead for a few bucks more which is worth it based on the things I don't like about the Motorcraft anymore.

Last edited:
PG is an excellent filter. It competes with the best. I have been using them now for about a year. I missed out on a great sale a couple weeks ago. I think 4 for something around $13.00 on Amazon.

If I can get them cheaply locally, Prime Guard. Yes, Chinesium but build is worlds better than a Fram. But there is little wrong with a Fram Orange can, and the price is right at Walmart or HD for one.

My first PG extended life filter was in 8/15 as shown. I first purchased the basic model but for my 2014 Mitsubishi Sport AWD I got this one.

I foolishly put it on the day before I left for Florida. I drove 16 hrs straight and the oil was 5w20 Magnatec

I kept getting under the car to see if it burst or was leaking..all during the trip it worried me like a dang fool. It had a slightly smaller OD. and height than the other brands and a oring style seal. It really made me nervous too.

I was just 3 months out of open heart surgery goofing with this thing. Scorching hot asphalt and climbing under the car like an idiot.View attachment 205681

In the end I ran it out about 11K miles and cut it open and it was perfect. But then like now it was too expensive to be really competitive.

I would use it again though without worry. Lesson learned.

Recently I picked one up just like it from Walmart online for 9 bucks flat, delivered. I wish I could still get 2015 prices on everything else!

Can be obtained for 6 if you go with CarQuest Premium at AAP and use on line codes. 👍

Sure hope they stick with the quality they have been providing with so many filters tanking the last couple of years.

Recently I picked one up just like it from Walmart online for 9 bucks flat, delivered. I wish I could still get 2015 prices on everything else!

Can be obtained for 6 if you go with CarQuest Premium at AAP and use on line codes. 👍

Sure hope they stick with the quality they have been providing with so many filters tanking the last couple of years.

Actually @ZeeOSix ran with the screen shot and here is the actual invoice. I didn't know until I just looked... that other price is today's cost...over $9

1000002029.jpg

Actually @ZeeOSix ran with the screen shot and here is the actual invoice. I didn't know until I just looked... that other price is today's cost...over $9

View attachment 205695
Ah, ha ... probably a lot of oil filters have nearly doubled in the last 9 years. So you thought $5.62 was too high a price in 2015? That means a lot of other filters must have been way below $5.62 in 2015. :unsure:

Here is a quick example.
Considering country of origin and all that good stuff.

View attachment 205705
Prices on Amazon right now. The TG4967 is more than other TG models for some reason. Both sold and shipped by Amazon. Looks like the TG4967 might be an old model ... can't find it on Walmart's website.

1709078182302.jpg

Back