Prime Guard or Fram EG

If they were side by side on the shelf and you were doing 5k oil changes which would you choose?

I’ve never used prime guard before. I would use them for my work car, a 2000 Buick Century. I drive 50 miles each way all highway, and I do my oil changes every 5k-ish miles.

My Rural King has them for $1.99 each and the Fram I usually get from Amazon for around $4. Not a big deal on price, just made me curious.

Just wanting to know y’all’s thoughts.

Last edited:
Which ever is cheapest. It doesn’t matter much for 5k as long as the filter functions and could catch some unexpected large particles.
You’ll dump anything else out that’s held in suspension on a short oci like that so efficiency isn’t even important enough to worry about.
I’d go for the $2 filter you mentioned.

For a short OCI, just get the cheapest filter. The 3100 has a bypass in the block.

Also, don't you have an OLM? Is 5k the OCI suggested by it?

Funny, but it was her grandparents car. It had 24k on it when I got it 3 years ago. It now has 64k and the OLM has never gone off. The bulb works but has never tripped, weird I know.

So I figure 5k is safe. I use syn blend high mileage because of age.

Funny, but it was her grandparents car. It had 24k on it when I got it 3 years ago. It now has 64k and the OLM has never gone off. The bulb works but has never tripped, weird I know.

So I figure 5k is safe. I use syn blend high mileage because of age.

You gotta drive it until the OLM kicks in at least once :D

Anyone know the efficiency on these? Haven’t been able to find much info on it.
FRAM Extra Guard® is built to balance 95% dirt-trapping efficiency with dirt-holding capacity.
1. SUREGRIP™
SureGrip provides non-slip surface for easier installation and removal.
2. MEDIA
Fiber and resin blend creates a proprietary filter media to capture 95% of dirt particles that cause harmful engine wear.*
3. ANTI-DRAINBACK VALVE
Silicone anti-drainback valve delivers superior start-up engine protection with up to 3X the hot oil resistance. **
4. GASKET
Internally lubricated sealing gasket for easier filter removal.
Exploded-view drawing of FRAM Extra Guard Oil Filter. FRAM Oil Filters are compatible with Ford and Chevrolet vehicles.

*FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of PH8A, PH3387A and PH4967 or equivalent FRAM TG or XG models under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns.

IMG_1075.jpeg

If they were side by side on the shelf and you were doing 5k oil changes which would you choose?

I’ve never used prime guard before. I would use them for my work car, a 2000 Buick Century. I drive 50 miles each way all highway, and I do my oil changes every 5k-ish miles.

My Rural King has them for $1.99 each and the Fram I usually get from Amazon for around $4. Not a big deal on price, just made me curious.

Just wanting to know y’all’s thoughts.
Prime Guard

I just picked up a couple PG's on that filter sale through Home Depot. Seems like a really heavy duty quality filter. I did see a couple pictures online of them cut open and nothing to complain about. For the price of $2.35 with free shipping, I see no reason to buy a FRAM TG. Not saying it's better, but the TG is probably 3 times the price. or more. For a 5K OCI, wouldn't make a lick of difference which you actually used on your car.

Back