Oil Recommendations for Toyota Fortuner (South Africa)

First time poster. Long time lurker here.

I own a 2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 Diesel 4x4 and live in South Africa.
It currently has around 70000 km (+- 43400 miles) on the clock.
I bought it second hand with 35000 km (+- 21700 miles) on the clock around a year ago and have been using Shell Rimula R4 15w40 HDEO mineral oil since then.

The Rimula is rated API CI / ACEA E7.

I am a medical sales rep so I do lots of short trips in town most days of the week and long distance once or twice a week.
I also like overlanding and tow a trailer 3-4 times a year long distances.

The recommendation in the manual states a wide range of viscosities that can be used:

5w30, 10w30, 15w40, 20w50

"Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.
Oil grade: G-DLD-1, API CF-4 or CF or ACEA B1
(You may also use API CE or CD.)
If you use SAE 10W-30 or a higher viscosity engine oil in extremely low temperatures, the engine may become difficult to start, so SAE 5W-30 engine oil is recommended.

As stated it says 5w30 is recommended.
It also states this in the repair manual.

I am now thinking of switching to a 5w30 ACEA A5/B5 synthetic oil.
The ambient temp in South Africa where I live is usually between -10 and 35 degrees celcius. (14F - 95F)
Might get a bit colder or hotter from time to time.

I cant complain about the Rimula but lately I have been thinking it might be overkill for the engine due to it being HDEO. I am also afraid the thicker start up viscosity might cause extra wear over time.

Its basically half the price of the A5/B5 Synthetics but I am interested in a lower viscosity for fuel economy reasons and cold starts.

Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

Its basically half the price of the A5/B5 Synthetics but I am interested in a lower viscosity for fuel economy reasons and cold starts.
The amount of fuel saved will be negligible...after all, you aren't driving a Toyota Yaris.
As for cold starts, I'd recommend 10w30 as the lightest oil to use in your driving conditions and ambient temps.

Last edited:
The amount of fuel saved will be negligible...after all, you aren't driving a Toyota Yaris.
As for cold starts, I'd recommend 10w30 as the lightest oil to use in your driving conditions and ambient temps.
Thats true. 10w30 is also what Toyota dealers service it here in South Africa.
They sell their own oil but it is only CF4 rated and quite expensive.

Fuchs 5W30 in winter and 15W40 summer. Or just 5W40 year round.
C3 might not be 100% correct according to manual though, but anything with a5/b5 should run it fine.
Im leaning toward any 5w30 a5/b5 I can get for a good price for year round used.

Dont know if it would make any difference though and if it would be worth the price.

There is another brand available, but I am unsure of the quality as it is new to the market and not that well known.
It is called IndyOil ProTorq 5w30 which meets Ford WSS M2C 913B requirements which is close to A5/B5.
It is going for $25 / 5l

Fuchs 5w40 A3/B4 - is this the Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5w-40 or Fuchs Titan Supersyn Longlife 5W-40?
The additive packet is a bit older as these are API SN recipes, but both are excellent oils.
I have used Fuchs Titan Supersyn 0w-30 ACEA A3/B4 for 10 years continuously (120 000+ km). The only reason I switched to another oil was that I was not able to buy that specific oil anymore.

Fuchs 5w40 A3/B4 - is this the Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5w-40 or Fuchs Titan Supersyn Longlife 5W-40?
The additive packet is a bit older as these are API SN recipes, but both are excellent oils.
I have used Fuchs Titan Supersyn 0w-30 ACEA A3/B4 for 10 years continuously (120 000+ km). The only reason I switched to another oil was that I was not able to buy that specific oil anymore.
It is Fuchs Supersyn Longlife 5w40.
API SN / ACEA A3B4
The other one is Fuchs Titan GT1 Flex 23 5W30
API SN / ACEA C2/C3

Im leaning toward any 5w30 a5/b5 I can get for a good price for year round used.

Dont know if it would make any difference though and if it would be worth the price.

I doubt it will make a difference, just make sure all the fluids are topped off and changed at recommended intervals, especially the radiator fluid...

It is Fuchs Supersyn Longlife 5w40.
API SN / ACEA A3B4
The other one is Fuchs Titan GT1 Flex 23 5W30
API SN / ACEA C2/C3

Fuchs Titan GT1 product line is more recent than Supersyn, yet both are very good oils.
Supersyn long life has MB229.5 and Porsche A40 approvals - few years ago it was one of the top oils on the market qualitatively competing with Mobil1, Shell Helix Ultra and Castrol Edge. Then Fuchs came with Titan GT1 product line as their premium line.
Recent deliveries of Fuchs Titan GT1 Flex 23 5W30 should already have API SP and it has MB229.52 approval - it is one of the premium oils on the market. The Fuchs brand is much less known than Castrol or Shell, they focus on car manufacturers rather than end users.
For this reason, they do not have this confusing "meets or exceeds", they really have the official approvals. Both are excellent choices.

If you have lots of sulfur in fuel then Fuchs Supersyn 5w40 A3/B4 would be my choice (TBN will be close to 9 mgKOH/g).

This would be my order:
1 Fuchs 5w40 A3/B4 $27 / 5l - because you have mentioned towing, oils meeting A40 are ready to meet a lot of heat, TBN will be excellent
1. Fuchs 5w30 C2/C3 $22 / 5l - excellent oil with a very competitive price, TBN is highly likely to be lower than what the Supersyn.
3. Liqui Moly 5w30 A5/B5 $32 / 5l - the price is a bit outrageous, I prefer A3/B4 oils over A5/B5.
4. Rimula 15w40 $18 / 5l

actually any A3 will do fine in that engine or a A5 in a nearly new engine. Having the same engine in my LC but over 5 times more km.

You probably have dpf? Than any cheap c3 oil 5w30 or 5w40 C3 and changing according Toyota severe service . I like Mann filters.
"Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.
Oil grade: G-DLD-1, API CF-4 or CF or ACEA B1"

No DPF anywhere in that engine, keep in mind that its South African market.
With this is mind its really unnecessary to run expensive A5/B5.

I would run Fuchs 5W40 a3/b4.
I imagine overlanding and towing in S.A in summerheat will be quite hot with low air flow.

Turbo 3.0 or NA heever91?

Last edited:
Oil grade: G-DLD-1, API CF-4 or CF or ACEA B1"

No DPF anywhere in that engine, keep in mind that its South African market.
With this is mind its really unnecessary to run expensive A5/B5.

I would run Fuchs 5W40 a3/b4.
I imagine overlanding and towing in S.A in summerheat will be quite hot with low air flow.

Turbo 3.0 or NA heever91?
Yes it is a Turbo.

I will have a look at what A3/A4 I can get for a good price but the Fuchs looks like a good product.

Will the 5w make a difference compared to the 15w?

It will of course have a higher VI than the oil I am currently using and also flow better when it is cold.

Any other benefits it will have over the 15w?

No dpf? You’re so lucky! About reparng the car I mean , for the fine particles in the air, I’ m not a expert. So, what your manual said about oil and 5 k miles is ok for Mixte driving city and the highway. If you drive in the city or off-roading , probably 3 k miles is ok.

Talking about acea1 is like acea A5/b5. THese oils a5/ b5 are robust oils, so after the driving for example several hours, let the engine idle for 2-3 minutes, that’s the way to preserve the turbo.

Back