Which oil to use on long term

Hi,

I own a Kia XCeed (Europe), 1.4 Turbo GDI engine and I want to know which is the best option: the manual says 5W-30 (ACEA A5/B5 or API SN, ACEA C2) or my choice: 5W-30 (API SP, ILSAC GF-6A , dexos1 Gen 3).

First of all, are they compatible (interchangeable)?

There are any benefits to choose one or the other?

Thanks!

They are compatible and I doubt any there will be enough differences in the oil choices to make a difference as long as a proper rated oil is used. Clean oil will do the magic as far as engine life will be concerned.

Good good choice.

I would also use the API SP in that engine that is of the type prone to LSPI although LSPI is seen less in Europe anecdotally

API SP is backwards compatible with API SN. An API SN oil is not necessarily forward compatible ....it may or may not be

Hi,

I own a Kia XCeed (Europe), 1.4 Turbo GDI engine and I want to know which is the best option: the manual says 5W-30 (ACEA A5/B5 or API SN, ACEA C2) or my choice: 5W-30 (API SP, ILSAC GF-6A , dexos1 Gen 3).

Thanks!
Use a C2/C3 oil, C2 is more of an 'energy conserving' flavor, both are excellent. You can use a VW 504/507 or MB 229.52 certified oil as well, I really dig Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0w-30 oil, using it in both Kias. It's sold in NA as Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX.
Don't shy away from 0w-30 oils either. Imho, MB 229.52 oil is better than API SP and D1G3.
Also, let your turbo cool off before shutting engine off to prolong its life.

Last edited:
run what the manual says to run..............Sprinters from Europe , run what the manual says to run,,oil made here in the USA do not use it, will not hold up in the long run....

run what the manual says to run..............Sprinters from Europe , run what the manual says to run,,oil made here in the USA do not use it, will not hold up in the long run....
I think you mean oil made to US specs won't hold up, Mobil is more than capable of producing a Euro spec lube on US soil.

Depends on the oil, quite honestly, but meeting API specs, and not meeting ACEA specs, would make a particular oil a poor choice for the OP. There are excellent oils made here, but since he is over there, it’s academic.

Castrol Euro 5W-30 (either the ACEA A3/B4 or C3 varients) is an excellent choice.
$25.98 for a 5 quart jug on Amazon here in the US.

Thank you all for your feedback, but well, seems a little confused now :) to understand that ACEA C3 specs/characteristics are better than dexos1 Gen 3?

Hi,

Thanks!
The one on sale~

Thank you all for your feedback, but well, seems a little confused now :) to understand that ACEA C3 specs/characteristics are better than dexos1 Gen 3?
where are you located? what choices do you have where you are?

where are you located? what choices do you have where you are?
I can easily buy any of the options online. It's not about the price, I'm only interested in the quality, taking into account the type of engine, Turbo GDI + GPF (gasoline particle filter).

If you are strictly referring to the brand, there are plenty of choices like: Castrol, Motul, Mobil 1, Liquy Moly, Total, Selenia, Valvoline, Ravenol, Shell, Elf and many others.

In case of my choice 5W-30 (API SP, ILSAC GF-6A , dexos1 Gen 3) it will be Ravenol DXG SAE 5W-30

Last edited:
+ C2/C3 oils, + turbo let the turbo cool down, if you mainly city driver changed more often.
Kia Europe is using Total, so you can use the oil selector/chooser from website of the company.

Back