Oil suggestions for 2013 Volvo S80 3.2l

In the process of doing the first oil change on this car. It's certainly the most unique oil change I've ever done!
- T27 torx bit for taking the 8 screws holding the skidplate off.
- 36mm socket with long extension for taking the filter out. As for the filter, its one of those open pleat ones that you have to order online because no one local carries them. I wanted a Fram Ultra, but the ship time was too long to get it before this weekend, so I got the Fram Tough Guard. The box says it's rated for 10k miles even though the normal Tough Guard enclosed filters are rated 15k. No problem, we'll probably be going 5k on this first oil change.
- To get to the filter, you must remove the passenger headlight, then take the power steering reservoir off its holder and shove it into the space where the headlight was. Fortunately, the headlight is held in by two metal brackets that simply slide out. Seriously, a 1 minute job.
- I got two samples from the oil draining. One to Blackstone so I can get current Universal Averages. One to Oil Analyzers. The oil seemed extremely watery. I wonder if whoever did the last oil change used 20 grade. Yikes!
- going to put in Castrol Euro Car 5W30 A3/B4. Capacity is 7.18qts. I'll start with 6 qts and see where it's at on the dipstick. I like to know how many qts get to the low mark and how many quarts it takes to get to the high mark.
- the dipstick is only 16mm from the low mark to the high mark. Every car I've had has been in the 17-18mm range. Probably because of the huge sump. It's nearly as wide as the car! So losing a lot of oil will only show a small decrease on the dipstick due to sump dimensions.

I think I've let enough drain out. Time to go replace the filter and fill her up.

edit: Good Lord! After 45 minutes there was still a significant amount draining. I'm giving it at least 90 minutes. And yes, the oil was hot when I started draining.
this quote explains why i will never own another volvo. i had a volvo 245 wagon from 1993 to 2005. it always got some flavor of mobil1 in japan, saudi arabia, korea. engine was pristine. every little bit that could break on it did, every part had to come from sweden, which always took 4-6 weeks and always cost $200+. found a great indy mechanic in saudi arabia, a pakistani guy who adored fiddling with volvos. ran it at 120mph (during “winter”) on wide desert highways and never felt safer.

this quote explains why i will never own another volvo. i had a volvo 245 wagon from 1993 to 2005. it always got some flavor of mobil1 in japan, saudi arabia, korea. engine was pristine. every little bit that could break on it did, every part had to come from sweden, which always took 4-6 weeks and always cost $200+. found a great indy mechanic in saudi arabia, a pakistani guy who adored fiddling with volvos. ran it at 120mph (during “winter”) on wide desert highways and never felt safer.
The oil change wasn't any harder than most other cars. Just a different process that I did research on before starting. But I can see how other aspects of working on the car would be pretty difficult. Fortunately, we bought a warranty with it. I'm just planning on doing the maintenance.

Hmm. I measured 7.5 qts that drained out (oil was reading above the full mark on the dipstick). But I added 6 qts, checked, and it wasn't showing at all on the dipstick. I then added another quart and it was showing, but below the low mark. Need to slowly add more and figure out what the hell is going on. Manual calls for 7.18 qts. No leaking at either drain plug or oil filter. Going to keep adding slowly...

So new oil is just really hard to see on this dipstick. It was above the midpoint. Just added a little more to get it right below the full mark.

Last edited:
Some pics...

IMG-0223.jpg

IMG-0222.jpg

IMG-0227.jpg

IMG-0228.jpg

IMG-0225.jpg

Transverse 6-cyl that is squeezed in, seems simple enough considering that. Rare to see that engine here in Europe.
Does american cars/trucks not have bellypan/skidplate ?

Looks like you are gonna need new headlight lenses soon.
Vparts have new batch on order

Last edited:
Does american cars/trucks not have bellypan/skidplate ?
Yes, most newer American vehicles do.

As for lenses, they work fine and aren't yellowed yet. If they do, we will probably polish them instead of replacing per that video. That seems like a lot of work to replace those!

Yes, most newer American vehicles do.

As for lenses, they work fine and aren't yellowed yet. If they do, we will probably polish them instead of replacing per that video. That seems like a lot of work to replace those!

Less work than earning 1500-2000usd for two new complete headlights ;)
Afraid those micro-cracks wont polish out.
2K clear or "PFF" film is recommended otherwise.

Back