Oil change interval for 2019 and 2021 Toyotas

because its been shown times and times again that 10k OCI's in these toyotas end up with coked rings
I think if this was really a systemic issue like you claim, Toyota would have done something about it my friend.

Meanwhile @dnewton3 is running 10k+ intervals in his fords with super tech conventional oil with fantastic results.

10k oil changes on my Toyota with 290k miles on it, owned since 2003 with 113k, and burns no oil between changes. Here are the caveats: used Mobil 1, it is a Landcruiser with a 1fze, which has a big sump and is easy on oil, and did UOAs early on to confirm no excessive wear or TBN depletion. You have to choose your interval based on the engine, use, and oil, there is no one size fits all. My mom has a Solara with the 4 cyl that is prone to sludging. That gets 4-5k changes with a good quality mineral oil.

I think 10k mile OCI with high end synthetics like Mobil 1 EP/ ESP, HPL, Amsoil Signature, PP, PUP etc could be doable. 7500k mile OCI is probably a good compromise if you like less frequent oil changes. Just pick a brand you really like then sample at 7500k miles and you'll find out whether to fallback to 5k or bump it up to 10k miles OCI.

I do 10k oil changes as recommended for my Tacoma and my Corolla cross hybrid (prius drivetrain) Most people “do not” fall into Toyotas defined special operating conditions as Toyota spells them out in their maintenance manuals. Toyota does not use the term “severe service”.

over maintenance has no quantifiable benefit.

I do 10k oil changes as recommended for my Tacoma and my Corolla cross hybrid (prius drivetrain) Most people “do not” fall into Toyotas defined special operating conditions as Toyota spells them out in their maintenance manuals. Toyota does not use the term “severe service”.

over maintenance has no quantifiable benefit.
Corolla is not a truck.

Corolla is not a truck.
I didn’t say it was but it has the same maintenance manual language. Edit to add after pulling out the cross hybrids maintenance manual. It is even harder to meet special operating conditions with the hybrid. Stop and go driving is not a factor and towing or car top carriers require body mount tightening but no early oil change. The
Predominately driving on dirt roads dirt roads is the on,y special operating condition that would require a 5k mile oil change.
this makes sense to me since in the most severe urban traffic I get the best mileage with it and less gas use means less impact on oil life.
The truck is a pig, it rides crappy burns a lot of fuel but will go anywhere I point it. it’s my 4th Tacoma among 4 previous 4 runners as well, none ever had any engine issues, but it has its utility and I am not getting rid of it.

Last edited:
I change all my Toyotas (and others) at or before 5,000 miles. Most peoples driving falls under severe but don't realize it.
Sure it does but that's according to the manufacturer. It's good for them to service your vehicle more frequently." Bring her in every 6 months sir (madam) and we'll give you an oil change and a brake service. Oh my goodness that air filter hasn't been changed in months too. And by the way, next service you'll need all of the above and a transmission flush, you know just to be on the safe side." Pity the unsuspecting little old lady that goes to the dealership.

I didn’t say it was but it has the same maintenance manual language. Edit to add after pulling out the cross hybrids maintenance manual. It is even harder to meet special operating conditions with the hybrid. Stop and go driving is not a factor and towing or car top carriers require body mount tightening but no early oil change. The
Predominately driving on dirt roads dirt roads is the on,y special operating condition that would require a 5k mile oil change.
this makes sense to me since in the most severe urban traffic I get the best mileage with it and less gas use means less impact on oil life.
The truck is a pig, it rides crappy burns a lot of fuel but will go anywhere I point it. it’s my 4th Tacoma among 4 previous 4 runners as well, none ever had any engine issues, but it has its utility and I am not getting rid of it.
The Tacoma owner’s manual actually calls for 5000 mile changes with towing, heavy loads, or a car top carrier, frequent trips under 5 mi in freezing weather, extensive idling and/or low speed driving, and with off road use.

Trucks are much more likely to fall under these use cases than hybrid Corolla SUVs.

IMG_2564.jpeg

The Tacoma owner’s manual actually calls for 5000 mile changes with towing, heavy loads, or a car top carrier, frequent trips under 5 mi in freezing weather, extensive idling and/or low speed driving, and with off road use.

Trucks are much more likely to fall under these use cases than hybrid Corolla SUVs.

View attachment 199396
Continue reading The maintenance Manuel . It states if the majority of your driving is under these special operating conditions. Few drivers do this. I have dug this up one time this week already And posted it, I am not going to do it again. Search my name and posts and you will find it. Or look for the “ not at the beggining of the maintenance manual.

I lied and found it for you edit..here

Last edited:
Continue reading The maintenance Manuel . It states if the majority of your driving is under these special operating conditions. Few drivers do this. I have dug this up one time this week already And posted it, I am not going to do it again. Search my name and posts and you will find it. Or look for the “ not at the beggining of the maintenance manual.

edit..herr if you are lazy

I am aware of this stipulation. It does not change the fact that trucks are more likely to fall into the special operating criteria than hybrid crossover SUVs. Bear in mind a combination of these scenarios can qualify. “Majority” means over 50%, so if half your driving falls under ANY of them, you qualify.

Depending on where you live, it’s pretty easy to qualify. My own Tacoma is heavily loaded 100% of the time and spends the majority of the time driving on dusty roads, for example.

I am aware of this stipulation.
Pet peeve, as I keep seeing people use the term stipulation incorrectly. A stipulation is an agreement between parties, generally made as part of a legal proceeding. As an attorney we use them all the time, for example in Court we may stipulate to admit a piece of evidence. Likewise, parties may jointly stipulate the Court issue an order (Stipulated Application and Proposed Order) or the Court may ask if the parties are willing to mediate and each attorney responds "so stipulated".

An owner's manual sets out requirements. A regular written contract has terms.

Ditched the factory fill and filter at 901 miles and second oil change and filter at 4993 on 2023 Rav4 Hybrid in signature. Next service is at 10k with the Toyota Care. Plan on doing 5k oil changes until myself or the vehicle passes away. Presently have 0W16 Mobil 1 in the sump but moving forward --- 0W20 in all synthetic flavors.

When we picked up my wife's new 2023 rav4 I was a bit surprised to find out the factory intervals are 16,000 km (10,000 mi)
In my mind this is a perfectly acceptable interval to get a vehicle through the warranty period, but likely not for long-term ownership.

Since we plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time, we are cutting that interval in half and doing it every 8,000 km.

Pet peeve, as I keep seeing people use the term stipulation incorrectly. A stipulation is an agreement between parties, generally made as part of a legal proceeding. As an attorney we use them all the time, for example in Court we may stipulate to admit a piece of evidence. Likewise, parties may jointly stipulate the Court issue an order (Stipulated Application and Proposed Order) or the Court may ask if the parties are willing to mediate and each attorney responds "so stipulated".

An owner's manual sets out requirements. A regular written contract has terms.
So the owner is bound to the stipulation that the maintenance schedule be followed for the warranty to remain valid.

Back