Oil change interval for 2019 and 2021 Toyotas

Both my 19 and 21 Toyotas were bought new so they had the Toyota recommended oil changes at 10K 'at the dealer. Since I am now on my own I am curious if a 10K interval is just fine for everyday driving or going to 5K or 7.5K for oil and filter is better?
17 Corolla and I go 7-10k which amounts to every 6 months. I do 60 miles roundtrip every day. About 45 of that is highway speed the rest town. So pretty easy on oil. Last summer I did a ton of in town driving and changed at 5500 before November. At about 100k now and I've rebuilt the engine 11 times because I go more than 5k per change.

If you're mostly short tripping I'd do the severe intervals. If you're longer commutes, I'd probably spilt the difference.

Thanks for all the feedback. Both vehicles I have are driven normally as far as mileage and conditions. Bought the REAL Toyota extended service plans for a great price and just curious if 10K is bad why they would cover a vehicle following their oil change recommendation of 10K? When I was a kid everything was done at 3K or 6 months but the dealer told me it was overkill for today's vehicles. I have also learned that those Blackstone reports are kinda like JD Power Associates in that their results have been challenged similar to K&N stating that their air filters equal more HP!
Greetings from salty NY north of I-90. I'm a degreed mechanical engineer from RPI who's now 53, working in API compliant rotating equipment, who's had the pleasure of meeting Shell engineers in technical meetings and who's also been fortunate enough to ask that single Shell PhD who derived my employer's gearbox isovg32 oil and additive package a very important question at the end of his presentation "what do you do in your own personal vehicle for OCI and type?". The answer? "Full synthetic and treat every car like it sees severe duty.". His response carries a lot of weight. I listened. I've had four Camry (latest 2018 LE) and four Honda (last was an 07 Civic LX AT (sold at 402,000, mostly highway, 8k OCI) with the latest current being a 12 Civic LX MT(currently at 180,000, using 5k OCI) and my girlfriend has an 05 Highlander with 240,000 on it now ( 5k OCI). The '18 was a CPO car from a dealer in Oneonta who, showed me prior owner service records from when it was a lease with an OCI of.....every 5000! That was a lease I bought at 32,000. So why would that dealer follow 5k and another would follow 10k? One is planning for the average driver's style and the other wants to save money. Guess what my employer does? It competes with other equipment manufacturers that boast they also have the lowest ownership cost...and...will also state the "minimum recommended maintenance schedule"....trust what The Car Care Nut and other folk on here recommending 5k max OCI, unless 1) your car never sits overnight below 70F, 2) never rolls in city traffic, 3) never sees rpms over 2,000, 4) has its oil level checked weekly, 5) gets run daily for 20minutes minimum 6) only sees top tier gas .....hopefully you see my point....perfect operating conditions including storage that ensures no condensation with fuel that has valuable detergents...all these things matter. I use Penn Ultra Platinum with a Mobil filter and on the highway vehicles (the '12 Civic mainly) I'll change the filter every other, like Honda allows. (Note there is no Penn Ultra or Amsoil Signature Series available for the Camry required 0w-16). I do believe The Car Care Nut when he says the 18&19 Camry engines are sensitive....I will not be pressing my '18 Camry's luck. Hope this helps. The above PhD was basically a tribologist. If you'd like to YouTube The Motor Oil Geek, you will find the same recommendations from Mr. Lake Speed Jr. who is also a tribologist and has even been so kind as to reply to my DM questions where one response is valuable sharing here paraphrased: " pumping is different than pouring, don't waste time worrying about cold pour tests unless you are living north of Edmonton Alberta Canada."

Last edited:
I do 10k oil changes as recommended for my Tacoma and my Corolla cross hybrid (prius drivetrain) Most people “do not” fall into Toyotas defined special operating conditions as Toyota spells them out in their maintenance manuals. Toyota does not use the term “severe service”.

over maintenance has no quantifiable benefit.
Just keep in mind that just because Toyota does not use the term nor list any criteria doesn't mean Honda is wrong for doing so. Please see my other comment to this OP. I've had both Toyota and Honda and overall I definitely consider the Honda engine particularly in the Civic to be the more durable engine. You can't prove you've over-maintained anything until you've had a failure that makes you regret you didn't do more....5k OCI is super cheap insurance is it not?

If these are long term cars, learn how to DIY and do it at 5k because....

1) you'll do it when you have 30 minutes to spare, not some appointment that your day revolves around
2) you'll do it cheaper than the dealer
3) you'll use much better oil than bulk stuff at the dealer
4) no dealer shenanigans
5) piston ring deposits won't show up in your UOA
6) oil changes are cheaper/easier than scuffed cylinders and a short block
7) better coffee at your place than the dealer service waiting room

If you bought the service plans, let them do the 10k changes and you can do the between ones. Toyota made you a great car. Why not do the simple thing and ensure it has reasonably clean oil in it.

Last edited:
Greetings from salty NY north of I-90. I'm a degreed mechanical engineer from RPI who's now 53...
The number of times I've heard a person with a degree in mechanical engineering introduce themselves as such makes me wish I'd never gotten two degrees in mechanical engineering.

Hold on everybody, smart person has entered the room. Opinions as knowledge forthcoming.

The number of times I've heard a person with a degree in mechanical engineering introduce themselves as such makes me wish I'd never gotten two degrees in mechanical engineering.

Hold on everybody, smart person has entered the room. Opinions as knowledge forthcoming.
Yeah I was there with him until he implied you can only run 0w-16 in a Camry.

Bought the REAL Toyota extended service plans for a great price and just curious if 10K is bad why they would cover a vehicle following their oil change recommendation of 10K?
How long is that service plan / warranty? 5 years and 75k miles?

I'd expect a suzuki to make it that far on 15k OCIs. I bought I toyota because I have far greater expectations than 5 years, 75k.

How long is that service plan / warranty? 5 years and 75k miles?

I'd expect a suzuki to make it that far on 15k OCIs. I bought I toyota because I have far greater expectations than 5 years, 75k.
Its 10 year 100K on both bumper to bumper. Mainly bought to protect against electronic/computer issues.

I would do 5k oil change, unless you are using Lucas oil, then you can do 20k changes easily. Their oil is really great just read it on the bottle. Also, all the drag strip cars L, any racing team, and NASCAR use it because they all have the Lucas oil stickers on their cars.

I’m a rather old soul.
The 08 FJ has the 4.0. For many years, I used Mobil 1 and still changed oil before 5k, usually closer to 3500. I have since gotten comfortable with 5k. Zero oil burn between changes, 142k

The Tacoma has the 3.5, I’m doing 5k changes with it. 1st change was 450, second at 1500, them 5k. The 3.5 is said to have ring issues with long oil change intervals. Oil is cheap, change it often.

Oil is the lifeblood of the engine. I try to keep it as clean as possible. We are in rural north central Indiana. Most trips are less than 15 miles on the highway. Most roads are 55 or 60. I do tow a bit, rarely drive on gravel roads. Certainly fall into the severe service schedule

Both my 19 and 21 Toyotas were bought new so they had the Toyota recommended oil changes at 10K 'at the dealer. Since I am now on my own I am curious if a 10K interval is just fine for everyday driving or going to 5K or 7.5K for oil and filter is
Edit to add I didn’t realize I already responded to this post.
I am hitting around 5k this week on my new Corolla cross hybrid. It will get a tire rotation and normal inspections but no oil change this week. It will run to 10 k with factory fill like many other Toyotas I have had.

My 2018 Tacoma gets 0w40 for 10k mile intervals if it needs it or not( I am conservative with this baby)
It just had a full fluid service a couple of months ago. This truck with 86k miles will last until gasoline is unavailable or I grow weary of it

Last edited:
Back