Oil change interval for 2019 and 2021 Toyotas

I do 10k oil changes on my 4runner. 160k miles of a trouble free engine that doesn't burn a drop. Use oil.that is rated for 20k miles and sleep well at night.
Big difference between highway driving and city / constant red light driving.
All the smaller TGDIs dilute and Toyota's no exception to oil rings concerns. That's where the shorter OCI proclamations are supported.

Thanks for all the feedback. Both vehicles I have are driven normally as far as mileage and conditions. Bought the REAL Toyota extended service plans for a great price and just curious if 10K is bad why they would cover a vehicle following their oil change recommendation of 10K? When I was a kid everything was done at 3K or 6 months but the dealer told me it was overkill for today's vehicles. I have also learned that those Blackstone reports are kinda like JD Power Associates in that their results have been challenged similar to K&N stating that their air filters equal more HP!

Last edited:
All the smaller TGDIs dilute and Toyota's no exception to oil rings concerns. That's where the shorter OCI proclamations are supported.
I can agree it depends on the engine. The 4.0 is pretty bulletproof.

Both my 19 and 21 Toyotas were bought new so they had the Toyota recommended oil changes at 10K 'at the dealer. Since I am now on my own I am curious if a 10K interval is just fine for everyday driving or going to 5K or 7.5K for oil and filter is better?
I prefer shorter OCI (4k/6 months whichever comes first) with a low priced full synthetic oil and low priced high efficiency oil filter.
It's not what oil you use, it's how often you change it that's important. I also prefer higher HTHS oil than what is recommended in the owner's manual.

This is how I prefer to maintain my vehicles, as I want to take my vehicles to 300k miles.

If you are the type of person who buys a new car every 4 years, and trades the old ones in, then by all means go ahead and do the 10k OCI.

100% agree. Oil is so cheap. You can buy a full synthetic 5 quart jug at Walmart for $19. You can buy a Fram Extra Guard oil filter with a high efficiency rating of 95% efficiency @ >20 microns for $3.50 with Amazon subscribe and save.

I don't understand this desire to extend oil changes when the oil and filters are so cheap.

You gain nothing with extended oil changes, but you may lose a lot if your oil control rings get gummed up and stuck, and start making a groove in the cylinder walls. If that happens, you will start burning between 1 and 2 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles, and your mechanic will likely tell you that you need a new $10,000 engine (parts and labor).

The other side to this discussion is the environment and reducing the amount of waste oil produced.
Theoretically you could buy an oil marketed for 20k miles such as Quaker State Ultimate Protection 20,000 mile oil at Walmart for $21.60 for the 5 quart jug, and do 10,000 mile oil changes.

It's really up to each person to make their own choice.

Last edited:
Quoting the warranty and service guide for a 2019 Camry
Miles or Months?
Toyota recommends obtaining scheduled maintenance for your vehicle every 5,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first.
Special Operating Conditions
In addition to standard maintenance items, the maintenance log indicates services that should be performed on vehicles that are driven under especially demanding conditions. These “special operating conditions” and their required maintenance items are clearly indicated in each chart.
NOTE:
You should perform these additional maintenance services only if the majority of your driving is done under the special operating conditions indicated. If you only occasionally
drive under these circumstances, it is not necessary to perform the additional services.

I've gotten good at idle flushes and piston soaks, but it wasn't because I wanted to 🙄
if you're gonna keep the car long term, cough up for the extra OCI IMO
1000009296.jpg

When making the 10k interval decision, I rarely see anyone consider this fundamental characteristic:

HYBRID vs NON-HYBRID

Particularly in the hands of an experienced driver, I can tell you that Hybrids spend a significant amount of time in EV mode (engine off)

Many times while sitting in traffic, driving home from work, I will glance down to see the engine has been off for the past 25 minutes or more. People rarely discuss this tremendous advantage of hybrid drivetrains.

Over the course of 10,000 miles, I would estimate my engine is running for between 7,000 and 7,500 miles. And this does not even account for the time sitting at a stoplight.

When making the 10k interval decision, I rarely see anyone consider this fundamental characteristic:

HYBRID vs NON-HYBRID

Particularly in the hands of an experienced driver, I can tell you that Hybrids spend a significant amount of time in EV mode (engine off)

Many times while sitting in traffic, driving home from work, I will glance down to see the engine has been off for the past 25 minutes or more. People rarely discuss this tremendous advantage of hybrid drivetrains.

Over the course of 10,000 miles, I would estimate my engine is running for between 7,000 and 7,500 miles. And this does not even account for the time sitting at a stoplight.
does this not create another issue though? lube not getting to temp so theoretically it would be like short tripping?

I do 10k oci on my Toyotas. Rarely short tripped and lots of highway miles.

does this not create another issue though? lube not getting to temp so theoretically it would be like short tripping?

You are correct... in frigid temperatures, the computer will run the motor unnecessarily to keep temperatures in proper spec.

In those circumstances, the hybrid advantages are still real, but certainly diminished.

You are correct... in frigid temperatures, the computer will run the motor unnecessarily to keep temperatures in proper spec.

In those circumstances, the hybrid advantages are still real, but certainly diminished.
I don’t think that is completely accurate. Mine will shut off well before it could have enough time to heat up. The ICE comes on to maintain battery level which diminishes when in extreme temps or to provide more power. I don’t think the algorithm takes into account oil temp variations before cycling off.

We have a 93, a 05, a 14 and a 22 Toyota. All are on 6 month/5,000 miles OCI. Even the 1993 since we are the original owners, is on the 6 month/5,000 mile OCI. Mainly for the VVTI gear for the 05 and up.

Sorry, I mean in cold temperatures, the computer will run the motor unnecessarily to keep the cabin temperatures in check if you are running the heater. If you are willing to travel without blasting the heater on max temp, you can increase your mileage by reducing the time your engine is running.

My overall point is that experienced drivers might be able to utilize the benefits of a hybrid drivetrain to extend your OCI past the frequently recommended 5,000 interval.

very good and informative video, nice to see professional mechanics still exist with useful knowledge on oil changes. Obviously high quality oil is a necessity at 5k

Exactly........
Where and how you drive is a big factor to 10k plus oil changes

Bought the REAL Toyota extended service plans for a great price and just curious if 10K is bad why they would cover a vehicle following their oil change recommendation of 10K?

See the video Bjornviken posted above. The issue isn’t necessarily engine wear with a 10K OCI, but cleanliness of piston rings. Deposits in piston rings cause them to seize, damage the cylinder wall and burn oil. The problem has historically reared its ugly head once you hit the 100K or 120K, after your warranty has expired. The 10K OCI may get you out of warranty fine, but carries risks at higher mileage. Some engines like the Ford Duratec / Mazda MZR 2.5 seem to do fine at 10K OCIs and go 300K without burning oil - this class engine is not know to be an oil burner at high mileage with longer OCIs. Some engines are known to get gummed up piston rings and burn oil with longer OCIs - like the engine in the video posted. Spending the extra money for the additional oil changes is a lot more cost effective in the long run than replacing your engine. If your engine is known for gummed piston rings change your oil every 5K/6months. You don’t need a super fancy expensive oil. Use an off the shelf synthetic oil with a good reputation. Even store brands like Kirkland or Supertech will get the job done.

Last edited:
Back