Oil + filter hoarders

Am I saving money? I'm probably breaking even. Friends and family are saving money, which is enough for me I guess.

That is because… you are a good guy roodlessvw….

Look…. You and I may disagree about a number of things…. A good percentage of things likely. I don’t give a blank about that at the end of the day.

But what you do here… goes to who you are. You get out of bed like that. You are a good, good guy. I believe that… No doubt about it.

I spent my own money to buy much better nose tissue for a much older lady that I took care of at my former place of work. Because the tissue we had at my job was not good and it obviously irritated her nose a whole lot. And yes rooflessvw… she routinely watched cnn and saw the world in a decent bit different way than I did. I treated her like she was my own grandmother. I lifted her all by myself out of her recliner and carefully lowered her into her wheelchair. I talked with her a lot… She was a wonderful, wonderful lady. And when she passed away which was a good bit surprising to me… I broke down in tears man…. That Saturday afternoon I had gone to the Food Lion off rte 199 off rte 199 on my way into work that day and had just bought her more good Kleenex tissues with lotion. That hit me hard that day.

It comes back to core fundamentals.. . How you or I really handle and treat people. And real basic ways in how we are with other people.

Last edited:
On this topic:
Many questions...
  • I have never seen clearance oil in my life. Then you are not looking hard enough. Go to the deals forum and you will see plenty.
  • How are folks finding the price errors? See above.
  • How much time is allocated to the two bullets above? An hour or 2 a year when doing nothing else productive. I check the deals forum every few days, and if something I want, I stop by the closest store when out doing other stuff. My price per qt changes based on the current volume of my stash. Currently, if it is more than $1 qt, I am not buying.
  • Is there some rebate scheme involved in the "pennies on the dollar" stashes? Sometimes.
  • There seems to be a thrill involved for some in building their stash. Yes, at times.
  • If you have a stash do you spend time with it...looking...touching...photographing...cataloging? I have a spreadsheet I update just to know about what I have. Same one I track oil changes, mileage, and other maintenance on. I take a pic on occasion to post here when others ask (still have no current pic of my stash). I don't go out and fondle the bottles or anything. I do need to go reorganize my shelves though, need to get similar weights grouped together after my last purchases and verify amounts.
  • Anyone ever have an oil stash on the show Hoarders? Not that I know of, but don't watch it much.
  • Does hoarding...er...having a stash encourage more frequent/unnecessary oil changes? Not for me, I have set oil change intervals, and stick to them. Can't speak for others.
  • Do folks have to keep the stash full i.e. always adding at the same rate as use? I don't. I use it and when I come across another deal, I buy more.
For you....but this is likely pretty accurate for many around BITOG.

Yet still 100% wrong for many around BITOG as well.

Last edited:
  • Do folks have to keep the stash full i.e. always adding at the same rate as use? I don't. I use it and when I come across another deal, I buy more.
So your multi-year stash always stays in a range of volume. I can understand buying on sale but I'll never understand wanting to keep years of changes in-stock and then keep buying...at some point there's going to be an inventory to liquidate.

So your multi-year stash always stays in a range of volume. I can understand buying on sale but I'll never understand wanting to keep years of changes in-stock and then keep buying...at some point there's going to be an inventory to liquidate.
I don't try to keep a specific amount.
I have been as high as 200 qts and as low as 30 qts over the past 2 decades; so while I always have some, it does not need to be a set amount.
I have a little corner in my garage that is out of the way and is not an issue for me to keep the oil there. I am pretty much at capacity right now, any more will cause me to have to clear more shelf space. I don't want/need to do that.

This is why I place a sliding price limit on what I consider a deal.
A month ago, $2/qt for synthetic was my buy point and I bought a lot at Tractor Supply and Advance Auto at or below that price.
Now, for me to buy anything, it needs to be less than $1 qt, and be "easy" to obtain at that price (not a clearance and rebate bundle and such).
The only exception is if it is a motorcycle safe oil, I only have 9 qts of that (not quite 2 changes). I will buy anything on clearance or good sale. My last purchase for the motorcycle was when Mobil had the rebate and Walmart had it on Rollback, and even that was almost $4/qt. I always keep an eye out for Rotella T6 clearance (but have never been able to catch any of the 5w-40 T6 around me).

I did sell off some oil once. I got a bunch (10 jugs) of Mobil 1 for like $3/jug (I think it was when Auto Zone had a clearance of their API SM Mobil 1), and sold it on craigslist for $15/jug.
I'm not a huge fan of Mobil (or any oil for that matter), but knew it was something I could easily sell for profit, so I did.

If I only had 2-3 vehicles to service, I would agree I have issues with how much I have.
And even now servicing 7 vehicles, it is a bit much, but again, I will use it within 3 or so years, and it is not in my way to store it. I will be using 14 qts in the next month. Nice to know I can change it whenever I want since the oil and filters are already in the house.
We all have things we spend money on that others would consider dumb, but it is my money (and yours is yours) to spend how I want to.

I don't try to keep a specific amount.
I have been as high as 200 qts and as low as 30 qts over the past 2 decades; so while I always have some, it does not need to be a set amount.
I have a little corner in my garage that is out of the way and is not an issue for me to keep the oil there. I am pretty much at capacity right now, any more will cause me to have to clear more shelf space. I don't want/need to do that.

This is why I place a sliding price limit on what I consider a deal.
A month ago, $2/qt for synthetic was my buy point and I bought a lot at Tractor Supply and Advance Auto at or below that price.
Now, for me to buy anything, it needs to be less than $1 qt, and be "easy" to obtain at that price (not a clearance and rebate bundle and such).
The only exception is if it is a motorcycle safe oil, I only have 9 qts of that (not quite 2 changes). I will buy anything on clearance or good sale. My last purchase for the motorcycle was when Mobil had the rebate and Walmart had it on Rollback, and even that was almost $4/qt. I always keep an eye out for Rotella T6 clearance (but have never been able to catch any of the 5w-40 T6 around me).

I did sell off some oil once. I got a bunch (10 jugs) of Mobil 1 for like $3/jug (I think it was when Auto Zone had a clearance of their API SM Mobil 1), and sold it on craigslist for $15/jug.
I'm not a huge fan of Mobil (or any oil for that matter), but knew it was something I could easily sell for profit, so I did.

If I only had 2-3 vehicles to service, I would agree I have issues with how much I have.
And even now servicing 7 vehicles, it is a bit much, but again, I will use it within 3 or so years, and it is not in my way to store it. I will be using 14 qts in the next month. Nice to know I can change it whenever I want since the oil and filters are already in the house.
We all have things we spend money on that others would consider dumb, but it is my money (and yours is yours) to spend how I want to.
Ok thanks for the detail. BTW, I don't think it's "dumb", just strange which is not the same thing 🤣

Ok thanks for the detail. BTW, I don't think it's "dumb", just strange which is not the same thing 🤣
You did not, others have.

To some it may sound like I am trying to justify why I have so much oil, but it is an explanation, which is different.
I don't have to justify anything to anyone here.

And this is just my personal experience, no idea on others, but from what I have read, some are similar to me.
I have also read of some buying a bunch of oil that they can't use, then posting here what to do with it.

I have at home 30 5 quart jugs (150 quarts total) of:
Walmart SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30: 8 jugs
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30: 21 jugs (Tractor supply sale)
Castrol Advanced Protection Full Synthetic 5W-30: 1 jug (Tractor supply sale).

The permanent strategic oil is the SuperTech due to it's strong additive package (high amounts of phosphorous and zinc for anti-wear, and Calcium for detergent), and it's Dexos 1 Gen 3 certification which places stricter limits on sludge and varnish causing deposits than API SP.

The oil I will use up first and then never buy again is the Pennzoil due to its anemic anti-wear and detergent additives.

IMG_5012.jpeg

The oil I will use up first and then never buy again is the Pennzoil due to its anemic anti-wear and detergent additives.
Do you also include PUP in that assessment, or just the PP?

Do you also include PUP in that assessment, or just the PP?
It's a fundamentally clueless statement. He's basing this prognostication off of spectrographic analyses that show only certain (generally metallic) elements from decomposed compounds. He has no idea whatsoever what the actual wear properties of the oil are. He also probably thinks "detergents" in oil clean the engine.

All oils that carry a specific API license or have manufacturer approvals must meet wear requirements per the license or approval. No one can look at a $30 spectrographic analysis or a PDS of a fully-formulated motor oil and then predict this type of future performance. It's ridiculous.

Dedicated rack I see. Nice. I have not moved past "milk crate stage".
hah nah its staged for further organizing. i need to read the recent "how do you store long term filters" then i'll sort by vehicle/application and probably label/bag'em and do exactly what you do with milk crates.

Oil hoarding is dumb. I used to be a hoarder, not anymore. Why? You're never going use that 100 quarts you got on sale hitting like 10 different auto zones. Half the hoarders have like 2 cars, maybe 3. By the you use it up, in like 10 years lol, you'll want the newest oil technology anyway. So you'll give it away lol
I feel personally attacked! Also, you're not wrong

I used to be a huge oil and filter hoarder.

Over the years I sold, used up, or gave away most of my stash doing oil changes for friends and family.

Now the only thing I have left is one jug of oil and one oil filter for the Volt. I’ve been meaning to change it for months and just haven’t bothered as I have barely been doing any gas miles. After that’s gone, NO spare oil and filters at all. There’s no point when they are readily available. If you have a larger fleet, though, I could see it being useful. It’s always more convenient to have what you need and you can stock up when you get a good deal vs having to go get it when you need it. Making an extra trip, not getting a sale price, etc.

I always “warm up” my oil to change it by going to Walmart and getting my oil and filter. I wouldn’t like having a bunch of it around for that reason alone.

Back