White chunks in brand new Quaker State oil.

Brand new 6 gallon box of Quaker State full synthetic 0w20 oil.

To make a long story short, I found white chunks in the oil when I poured it into my car. I thought at first it was excess clue or white plastic from the pour spout of the 6 gallon box.

I was able to collect a few of the chunks and to my surprise they were the consistency of hand lotion.

Any idea what this might be? I have never seen anything like this come out of a jug, box, or drum of oil.

I'm a little concerned about damage to my engine but thankfully it's not anything solid that got in there.

I sent an email to tech support at shell and I will update this thread on what they say but I wanted to post here too in order to keep everyone informed.

See attached pictures.

-Kevin

Oil used
1000007958.jpg

Before I touched it with my finger.
1000007953.jpg
1000007954.jpg

-After I touched it with my finger

1000007955.jpg
1000007956.jpg

@kevin711 I assume you sent the pictures to the Mfg. as well?

Is the consistency of say, thick snot, or is it more solid?

My first guess is that if it is the former, it could be the Viscosity Index Improver came out of solution after very cold transportation or storage. If it is the latter, it could have been coagulated calcium detergent going out of solution for the same reasons.

If you heat up the screwdriver, do the chunks flatten and slide off?

Last edited:
Good thread to start and get your post count up...As a newbie here!

Gonna catch a little guff, now and then! And welcome aboard. :p

Yes I sent the pictures in an email to shell and they sent an automatic reply with a case number to reference. I also sent them all the other info like the lot number off the box.

It's more solid than snot. The chunks kept their shape in the oil and did not lose shape when poured into the car. They also sunk to the bottom so they must be heavier than 0w20 oil. Literally behaved the same as a solid piece of plastic or dry glue would have. I was very surprised it was soft when touched.

I have not tried heating any of the chunks but the coldest it's been was 21F this morning and it was around 30f when this happened.

residue from the blow molding of the plastic jugs ? or does it have a foil seal on jug,glue from seal ?? ,,check the back side of foil seal see if build up of the stuff, check bottom of the jug using a strong light to look for stuff clinging on bottom of container.

residue from the blow molding of the plastic jugs ? or does it have a foil seal on jug,glue from seal ?? ,,check the back side of foil seal see if build up of the stuff, check bottom of the jug using a strong light to look for stuff clinging on bottom of container.

No foil seal on these jugs. There is a plastic valve that you open or close by turning the top of it. That valve was so stuck in place I almost broke the handle off it when first opened. That is why I figured it must have been glue at first.

Unfortunately I can't get a light through the bag of oil unless I open the box all the way, and if I do that it will not go back together very well so I'm going to wait until I hear from shell before destroying the outer box to look inside.

If I have time today I'm going to find another chunk and see what happens when I heat it up. I'll keep everyone posted.

That does look just like what I found, but doesn't make me feel very warm and fuzzy about quality control.

It makes me think what else is there that can't be seen with the naked eye.
Yes it should have been better dissolved no doubt about that. Once through your engine and a heat-cool cycle, it will be like you never saw it.

Back