Oil + filter hoarders

For me personally I do oil changes for Family and friends 12 vehicles a year with 2-4 OCIs (5000 mile oil changes). Close to 200 qts per year so in reality a I have 2 approx year supply? I even provide filters for some if their cars take the same ones I use.

The thrill is in getting some savings and being able to share with people.

There definitely are oil clearances, For years I would just buy the oil as needed, and people would bring oils and filters and I would change it.

For the price I paid for this oil I can do 4 or more changes for the price of one.

I keep my stash organized as I store it so I make sure it all gets used with the oldest first. But no I do touch or catalog the, I place them by group when I I first store it and as a space opens it get filled with replacements

No do not sell any of it.
B/c you will likely continue to grow the stash as you use it so you will never get that HPL you want which is part of the issue with this practice I see...you buy b/c it's on sale, not b/c you need/want it.

Last edited:
Here's what I have "in stock". Basically an upcoming 100K mi maintenance on my Sportwagen (DSG, bevel box, r. diff, Haldex...all bought with FCP LRG credit so free!), upcoming HPL oil change on Sportwagen (not free except for filter from FCP), a few more brake bleeds for upcoming track events through end of year (at $20 a bottle, FCP is a great deal here), and a mid-OCI filter change (and oil top up - that ST 5qt has about 1/2 a qt in it) for the Focus when my son is home on break from college in a few mos. (b/c I put in some HPL EC with the last oil change). Also some additives and other fluids in there.

Thinking back, my dad always had a case or two of QS + filters he got at the Navy Exchange/on base in the garage for oil changes for our vehicles when I was younger.

When the HPL is gone in a few mos after the Sportwagen change in Oct/Nov, I'll buy another case of the 1 gal bottles of the Euro 5W40 and likely grab a case of 6qts of the No-VII 5W20 or 30 for the Focus now that it's being autocrossed regularly. Atlas and W8 will need changes early next year so I'll likely do a large (~$350) return to FCP then once that credit hits my account, order the other changes etc. so free.

This is generally how I do it - sometimes a change for each vehicle in stock, sometimes none.

After this Motul brake fluid is gone by end of year, I'm leaving the free stuff from FCP and moving to Endless brake fluid which doesn't require the frequent bleeding/flushing this stuff does...it's basically good for a year without messing with it but it's 3x the cost.

20230816_094442.jpg

Last edited:
On this topic:
  • I have never seen clearance oil in my life.
  • How are folks finding the price errors?
  • How much time is allocated to the two bullets above?
  • Is there some rebate scheme involved in the "pennies on the dollar" stashes?
  • There seems to be a thrill involved for some in building their stash.
  • If you have a stash do you spend time with it...looking...touching...photographing...cataloging?
  • Anyone ever have an oil stash on the show Hoarders?
  • Does hoarding...er...having a stash encourage more frequent/unnecessary oil changes?
  • Do folks have to keep the stash full i.e. always adding at the same rate as use?
Many questions...
I've been keeping an eye out for clearance oil in person for years and I've only seen it twice, when Walmart blew out Valvoline white bottle at $6 a jug and GTX Diesel at the same time. The Valvoline was all already gone in that instance. And then another time at Walmart years ago where they were closing out Valvoline NextGen, and that was also gone by the time I saw it.

There was a time here years ago where people said Pennzoil Ultra was being cleared out at Autozone. I went to a local Autozone, asked about that closeout, and they looked at me like I had two heads and had no idea what I was talking about. I suspect a lot of these crazy deals that people find are in rural stores with lower sales numbers and it's managers that are trying to get rid of low-turnover product. In my area, these deals never happen.

I'm going to reply in case you're not actually trolling. Sometimes it is hard to tell with you.

1. How? It used to happen annually at almost every auto parts store in the fall. They're always posted here.

2. That I don't know. Someone here said pricing error, I clicked "buy." It worked?

3. I'm on BITOG anyway and drive 40k/yr between my three vehicles... If there's a supposed clearance I'll poke my head into an auto parts store while driving around.

4. I only do rebates when they coincide with already cheap oil. I saw some Valvoline for $15/5qt, so I claimed the rebate too. $10/5qt ain't bad. That oil was on the clearance rack when I was ordering a part for my Isuzu.

5. Yeah scoring a deal is fun.

6. No, just add/remove it to/from the list.

7. No.

8. Sometimes, especially if you're working on something different already. "May as well change the oil."

9. No. Mine fluctuates. I drive a lot and do oil changes for family and friends. "Just bring a filter." A buddy is mine just got another GTI after years of *barf* Toyota ownership, so I'll probably take him most of my 5W-40.

The cost savings are real, IMO. The last oil change on my Touareg cost me $18. Oil changes on my Odyssey are $15. On the Isuzu, $11. Multiply that by 4, 2, and 2. It would be much more expensive if I paid retail.

Everyone in my family gets changes for the cost of an oil filter.

Idk man. If my one thing is buying clearance oil when I find it, I don't think I'm that bad off.
So are you really saving money if your buying oil for other people's cars? Sounds like more of a hobby vs actual need, which is fine. I stopped hoarding because I needed specialized stuff that never goes on sale. Plus I never could use the 50 quarts I would buy.....

Why do women have 50 pairs of shoes or dresses?
Well, I have 13 skillets of differing materials and designs, 7 saucepans and pots ... I get the need for multiples of some things, but cannot understand the need/desire for 50 or 100 quarts of oil.

So are you really saving money if your buying oil for other people's cars? Sounds like more of a hobby vs actual need, which is fine. I stopped hoarding because I needed specialized stuff that never goes on sale. Plus I never could use the 50 quarts I would buy.....
Am I saving money? I'm probably breaking even. Friends and family are saving money, which is enough for me I guess.

Ok have a few other stash items based on the Vette guy's pic...

Spare set of new track brake pads and my more street-friendly ones.

Wouldn't be a MK7 VW without a spare set of new coil packs and plugs.

It would also be fun to hoard track tires...I missed a crazy deal on the ones I have been using...50% off so 4x 255/40/17 would have been about $300 delivered! I could have stored them under my house.

20230816_183204.jpg

Some goodies there and of course great C8!

I'm going to be swithing over to the Endless RF-650 when I picked some at an HPDE at VIR in November.

Thanks man.

The endless is above anything out there in anti compressibility. You'll retain a hard pedal better than anything out there including srf.

I use srf in my brake by wire cars though because they give you an artificially hard pedal no matter what.

Thanks man.

The endless is above anything out there in anti compressibility. You'll retain a hard pedal better than anything out there including srf.

I use srf in my brake by wire cars though because they give you an artificially hard pedal no matter what.
Is the Endless DOT 5.1?

Is the Endless DOT 5.1?

They're race fluids so they will basically exceed dot 4 or 5.1 boiling points. Beyond that you have to look at the individual race fluid specs and manufacturer recs to know how they behave. Some can be kept in service for over a year and used like a street fluid while others need to be changed more frequently...from a hygroscopic standpoint . Srf works very well for the weekend warrior who gets lazy and doesn't change often. Rf650 likes to be changed a bit more often.

They're race fluids so they will basically exceed dot 4 or 5.1 boiling points. Beyond that you have to look at the individual race fluid specs and manufacturer recs to know how they behave. Some can be kept in service for over a year and used like a street fluid while others need to be changed more frequently...from a hygroscopic standpoint . Srf works very well for the weekend warrior who gets lazy and doesn't change often. Rf650 likes to be changed a bit more often.
Understood. I was thinking more from a compatibility standpoint, is it glycol or silicone based

I use Motul RBF600...works fine...just needs frequent bleeding.

Yes I used that for probably 10 years. Great fluid and the Motul reps always told me they see it hold up to 1 year use as well hygroscopicly (if you arent needing to change it from track use).

Yes I used that for probably 10 years. Great fluid and the Motul reps always told me they see it hold up to 1 year use as well hygroscopicly (if you arent needing to change it from track use).
That's the issue...track...I'm just in the habit of a bleed every track event.

Back