% of Manual vs. Auto Transmissions - New Autos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather be shifting gears and stepping on the clutch pedal instead of poking at a display screen trying to find the correct screen page to adjust the volume control, answering the phone or setting the

Originally Posted By: babyivan
Maybe more economical, maybe faster, but it's still not the same no matter how you slice it..... it's missing that intangible that can only be had with a 3rd pedal, imo. The zf is a great trans, but I still opted for the tremec when I bought my chally scat pack.

You hit the nail on the head, it is the intangibles that keeps the MT fans in these cars.

Originally Posted By: babyivan

I dont really agree with that anymore. I was looking at 2017 Wranglers and was surprised on how much easier it was to find in an auto.... and with too many doors!!

I think the highest percentage manual transmission car is without a doubt the WRX.

+1

When I went to test a Wrangler at the dealer I asked if they had any 6 speed 2 door configurations. The sales guy goes "That seems to be the most commonly requested model, but the ones we have are mostly 4 door automatics". I replied, "If it is the most commonly requested model, then how come you don't have any on the lot?" He just stared at me.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I'd rather be shifting gears and stepping on the clutch pedal instead of poking at a display screen trying to find the correct screen page to adjust the volume control, answering the phone or setting the

I hate touchscreens as well; my 2er has an actual volume control knob along with redundant buttons on the steering wheel. Phone calls are also answered and ended by a button on the wheel. Most everything else is either "set and forget" or can be controlled by voice commands.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

It's still more fun with a manual and the turbo six.
smile.gif

Well, when I took the 2er to Putnam Park I put the car in Sport+ and the ZF 8HP45 in the Sport/Manual gate and there were maybe a couple of spots on the track-at most-where I might have done something different from what the autobox did.
I can double-clutch in my sleep- and I've been driving manual cars in HPDEs since 1988 and instructing since 1996, but with a transmission like the 8 speed ZF I can honestly say that I don't miss a third pedal.
In a compact sport coupe like the M235i the automatic is perfect- it's faster, more economical, and the ability to toggle between modes to suit conditions is the icing on the cake.

Justify it all you want, it is still more fun with a clutch pedal. Faster? Doubt it. More fun? Yes.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Good luck finding ANY Korean car with a stick these days.

They have 2017 Elantras on the lot with sticks at my local Hyundai dealer... 44 of them.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Good luck finding ANY Korean car with a stick these days.

They have 2017 Elantras on the lot with sticks at my local Hyundai dealer... 44 of them.

Wow that's impressive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back