VW is ending the manual for the GTI.

2024 will be the last. Been reading since it was announced yesterday. Looks like the 380 will be offered in every trim level. I think I'll pick up an Autobahn. I always wished I had a manual in my current Autobahn, so this will be the last chance if I want it new.

ar-AA1fZWqc
1693497626729.jpg

Saw this, sad as it was one of the last holdouts. The DSG is great but still not the same as rowing your own. I always assumed the take rate was somewhat close to 40% or so on these given the crowd that buys them but I could be wrong.

Wonder if they are killing the stupid haptic buttons on the wheel on the 2024 models?

Saw this, sad as it was one of the last holdouts. The DSG is great but still not the same as rowing your own. I always assumed the take rate was somewhat close to 40% or so on these given the crowd that buys them but I could be wrong.

Wonder if they are killing the stupid haptic buttons on the wheel on the 2024 models?
No I don't think anything is really changing on the interior. Last I heard that was slated for the MK8.5 refresh for 2026. It doesn't sound like we're getting buttons and a manual. The DSG is great, but I drove a manual 40th Anniversary last week and the bug has been planted. I'm still trying to figure out how I went from manual everything to driving autos for close to 15 years. I missed it. I likely would have bought that car that day, but I didn't want a lower trim level car.

Is there a regular Golf model that is keeping the manual, perhaps, or is it also going auto-only?

The few (2 or 3?) manual VWs I've driven over the years were a delight to drive. Much less clunky than my WRX.

Is there a regular Golf model that is keeping the manual, perhaps, or is it also going auto-only?

The few (2 or 3?) manual VWs I've driven over the years were a delight to drive. Much less clunky than my WRX.
No, they cancelled the standard Golf in the US. The GTI is the lowest trim in the US for the last couple of years.

Car manufacturer makes 5% of cars with manual have to order it 6-12 weeks out.
Little to no options available
complains of low take rate.

Well many of your manual customers dont want to wait 12 weeks or want it with options

Self fulfilling prophecy.

This news makes me that much happier that I scored my Regal. The take rate on those in the manual had to be 5% or less.

Wow, that is really sad. Here are the monthly sales. VW botched alot of things. :(

1693507014647.jpg

Car manufacturer makes 5% of cars with manual have to order it 6-12 weeks out.
Little to no options available
complains of low take rate.

Well many of your manual customers dont want to wait 12 weeks or want it with options

Self fulfilling prophecy.
It still makes me mad I couldnt get my 2016 Mazda 6 with a manual and moon roof.

It still makes me mad I couldnt get my 2016 Mazda 6 with a manual and moon roof.
Here is a story of a manufacturer that complains that there is no take rate, yet the reason there is no take rate is because they simply don't make them! Catch 22.

First they had a V6 with a manual. They said the v6 had a low take rate, so they opted for a 4 cylinder turbo but still offered a manual. After 3 years they dropped the manual (even though it cost nothing to offer the option since this same engine and transmission was put in one of their most famous cars). Then they claimed that the 2.0 turbo had a low take rate, so they got rid of it and made the car hybrid only. Yet they still make the v6. They still make the 2.0 turbo. And still make the manual. It costs them nothing to mount the **** thing into the chassis and call it a day, they do it in several other models. The "take rate is low" because they don't offer it. Then the come out and say "their most popular model in 2023 is a hybrid". DUH! The hybrid is the only one with heated seats, more than 2 speakers, and a decent options! Of course no one will buy the gas only when its more expensive than their cheaper cars that have more options for less money *****. Company: Honda. Want a decent engine and transmission? Go buy acura for 10-15k more! Heck, I can go buy the k20 turbo with a manual and ecu and harness as a crate motor for 9000$ online FROM HONDA WITH A WARRANTY and just do my own swap.

Toyota does the same thing. They claim the camry take rate is low, yet every v6 camry is presold months in advance! The wait list is thousands of miles long, and guess what..."the v6 sales are low". Hmm I wonder who happned to "restrict their manufacturing" to fudge the numbers. Ah yes, its because we up sell to lexus that only offers the V6 as a base engine, and it has an amazing v6 take rate (wonder why).

These stories that "no one buys them" is a lie, completely made up. Sure, manuals are lower than auto's, and v6's are lower than 4 cylinders, but that has been the case for 20+ years...nothing has changed, what has changed is "how can we keep the price the same or higher while using less".

for ME its a manual or NO sale!! finding a manual in a preowned frontier 4 wd was not easy either, got a lo mile 2011 + love it. only other slushboxes were order classic cars!! manufacturers shun manuals because automatics are easier to control emissions!!

The Jetta has a couple of trims with a manual still, although I assume the Jetta as we know it may be killed altogether after 2024. I fear the GLI will be included.

No I don't think anything is really changing on the interior. Last I heard that was slated for the MK8.5 refresh for 2026. It doesn't sound like we're getting buttons and a manual. The DSG is great, but I drove a manual 40th Anniversary last week and the bug has been planted. I'm still trying to figure out how I went from manual everything to driving autos for close to 15 years. I missed it. I likely would have bought that car that day, but I didn't want a lower trim level car.
That is exactly why I ended up with the GLI...wanted a good value manual sedan that wasn't a strippie and wasn't a Subaru. Pretty much the only option other than unicorn A4s.

Back