Manual transmissions in pickup trucks.

The 6-speed in my 2019 Tacoma seems to be a good transmission - just geared way too tall stock. So I regeared the diffs. Perfection. 4 low is awesome.

Oh and R is ridiculously tall. Stock - You will burn the clutch just backing up. So re-gear PLUS a mod with switch for 2WD LOW (rear only), problem solved.

Nobody sells a manual transmission in a truck any longer. Ram was the last holdout in 2018. Ram still offers a manual on the Ram 4000 in Mexico. From my understanding the manual transmission option in the 2500/3500 lost towing and hauling capability.
Toyota Tacoma?

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/tacoma/

There are three models with 6-speed manual options.

The 6-speed in my 2019 Tacoma seems to be a good transmission - just geared way too tall stock. So I regeared the diffs. Perfection. 4 low is awesome.

Oh and R is ridiculously tall. Stock - You will burn the clutch just backing up. So re-gear PLUS a mod with switch for 2WD LOW (rear only), problem solved.
My friend has a 2018 manual and that’s his biggest gripe. His is also a TRD Pro so assuming it’s like the 4R Pro, it also has 4.10 gearing.

I've towed a lot with my 5 speed manual truck. It's a pretty wide ratio 5 speed - 1st gear is 5.72:1 and it has overdrive. It's unpleasant. I often found myself stuck on the rev limiter in 2nd or 3rd gear on steep hills unable to catch the next gear. I'm not even sure a slightly closer ratio 6 speed would be better.

These 6+ speed automatics are just awesome for towing. Closer ratio and they're smart enough to keep the torque converter locked pretty much all the time while moving, unless it needs to unlock just a bit to get the engine where it needs to be to keep accelerating or make a shift.

The GM 6 speed and Ford 10 speed have been my favorite in rentals. The GM 8 and 10 speeds weren't perfect, but still lightyears ahead of a manual; they both had the right gear but couldn't figure out when to use it.

Now if we're talking older trucks with 3 and 4 speed automatics, the manual will win out every time.

My F-350 is geared quite low in reverse as is, but still not low enough for tight maneuvers with trailers. I pretty much always leave the hubs unlocked and use 2 lo for backing up trailers. Or starting out on really steep hills in PA with a trailer. Usually 1-2-3 in 2lo, then 2nd in high will get it moving.

Chevrolet Colorado or GMC Canyon were offered with a manual up until 2019. Can't remember if there was such an option, but I would love a crew cab Colorado/Canyon with 2.5L and 6-speed manual. Simple, basic, and efficient truck. Should be pretty reliable too. Ain't no 'Yota, but price usually reflects that.
Only with rwd whic was odd. I called Chevy and GMC dealers and for some weird reasons GM decided not to offer 4wd with the manual transmission option.

I like the fact that you will be able to buy a base model 2024 with the six speed manual.

1697754680706.jpg

I know Toyota is offering a manual in their near entry level '24 models. I looked nationwide for a '23 with a manual and came up empty on 4 different websites and empty on Toyota's website within 500 miles of my home. So if they are out there, they are rare.

Only reason to buy a truck with a MT is because you’re towing heavy loads consistently. Automatics work well for 90% of trucks.
Lower cost and lower mechanical complexity were the main reasons I always bought manuals.

I had a Chevy Colorado standard cab with the I-5 and a manual. I wish I still had that little truck.

This is a big reason why they're dying off in "pickup" truck type applications even as they persist in heavy trucks.
Ever launch a boat with a manual trans? Go offroading on really rough trails? Try to launch with a REALLY heavy trailer?

All those are doable with a manual trans, but much, much less enjoyable and more stressful.
Going bye bye in heavy trucks, too. Automateds pencil out for a fleet.

I think the main reason manuals are rated for lower power then automatics is because people who don't know how to drive one will dump/smoke the clutch over and over again. And they'll never see something wrong with how they drive. An automatic is harder to kill with stupidity, because the computer will prevent you from doing dumb stuff to the transmission

Only reason to buy a truck with a MT is because you’re towing heavy loads consistently. Automatics work well for 90% of trucks.
My 82 diesel suburban 5mt was a 29mpg rig at the old double nickel , rarely saw that in a full size. Even modern is still somewhat rare to keep 20+ year round city or highway

I know Toyota is offering a manual in their near entry level '24 models. I looked nationwide for a '23 with a manual and came up empty on 4 different websites and empty on Toyota's website within 500 miles of my home. So if they are out there, they are rare.
Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it automatic vehicles now get better fuel economy than manuals do. Unfortunately a 3mpg difference could cost a manufacturer hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions due to cafe regulations. The EPA is pushing for 58 mpg average fuel economy by 2030 which is asinine. That would relegate most people to driving diesel vw 1.0L ups like in the UK. No sports cars heavy trucks or SUV's .

I loved my nv3500 '94 Ram with the wide-ratio gearset. I could float all the gears without the clutch like I was in a dumptruck. Unfortunately, a stolen kia smashed it one night in front of m house. I replaced it with another, this time a close-ratio box in a '02 Dakota. I liked the wide ratio better.

Automatic vehicles are rated better than a manual as they are tested less aggressively by the EPA. (Very different and flawed test for the automatic)

Anyone who has owned both an auto and manual of the same car can tell you that it’s easy to beat EPA in a MT and difficult to get the rating in an automatic.

When you look at gear ratios many manufacturers put stump pullers in the manual and airplane gears in the auto, changing the final gear to match the automatic and you easily beat it all day.

The only “automatic “ cars worth owning are hybrid or EV.

There's been rumors even years ago that those small diesels were coming over here from Europe but never happened mostly due to emissions but with the introduction of Def it could really change things, my dad just purchased a slightly used MF tractor and ran it inside with garage door closed for a few min and you literally couldn't even detect it with your nose. The older diesels we have would've ran you outside in a heartbeat.

Back