VW is ending the manual for the GTI.

Guess there will be a lot more stolen cars. Manuals are the best anti-theft feature going. At least VW hasn't jumped on the CVT bandwagon......yet.

I've been talking this over with my wife. She's as usual in full support of my decision and I love that she wants me to have what I want, but I'm not sure I want this car so much. What I want to do is to do something irrational like manual swap my current car. That sounds like more trouble than what it's worth for what is objectively a worse transmission that holds less power, unless I put a ridiculous clutch in it while I'm at it.

Part of the positive for the 2024 is that it's 6 years newer than my 2018. That can't be discounted either. My current car won't last forever as a daily and this is the last opportunity for a new manual.
Sell me your's when the time comes. It looks to be in excellent shape. I like TR too.

Torrid maybe you can cement your decision to keep the MK7 by making it "new" again with a tune and performance upgrades? Is it stock? Not the same thing as a manual but if you can blow people's doors off, next best thing?

Torrid maybe you can cement your decision to keep the MK7 by making it "new" again with a tune and performance upgrades? Is it stock?
That’s my next avenue and the fact that I can’t modify the stick without upgrading the clutch. If I do that I’ll wait a year until the powertrain warranty is up.

That’s my next avenue and the fact that I can’t modify the stick without upgrading the clutch. If I do that I’ll wait a year until the powertrain warranty is up.
I for some reason was thinking VW gave the long warranty on 2019 and 2020 MY, but it was 2018 and 2019. My bad. I would do the same and I'm in the same boat...just have the Burger tuning box for now as I'm still 2 years out for warranty expiration on mine.

So sad...Sign of the times I guess. .I love MT. All of my vehicles have it except for one>>>(because it's not available)

Last edited:
What gripes me is that I use to ride motorcycles. The manual transmission on a bike SUCKS compared to a car or any non commercial vehicle, yet hardly anyone wants a stick in a car, SUV or truck but few want an automatic on a bike. Few bikes have them outside of being a scooter. Pegging a shifter up and down SUCKS on a bike vs driving a GTI with a stick.

This wouldn't have surprised me 5 years ago, but it does today. Ever since childhood, it was a car that I've loved. I never drove a modern one except for a 2015 that I had gotten as a rental car in hotlanta. It had the DSG. This DSG and the Porsche PDKs are the only dual clutches I have ever driven--not for me if I were buying these cars.

I see these actions just like a package of bacon going to 12 oz, or a half gallon orange juice 52 oz, and mayonnaise 30 oz., bleach some joke size I don't even remember. Just shows how consumers are powerless, but after a while, have short memories and don't feel cheated lol

Didn't BMW make manuals a no cost option, when they still had them? My 2007 cost less than a 2007 with an auto.

What gripes me is that I use to ride motorcycles. The manual transmission on a bike SUCKS compared to a car or any non commercial vehicle, yet hardly anyone wants a stick in a car, SUV or truck but few want an automatic on a bike. Few bikes have them outside of being a scooter. Pegging a shifter up and down SUCKS on a bike vs driving a GTI with a stick.
Even Gold Wings are mostly autos today. Always got a kick out of a 6 cyl bike that had reverse...

Guess there will be a lot more stolen cars. Manuals are the best anti-theft feature going. At least VW hasn't jumped on the CVT bandwagon......yet.
Even the new breed of truck drivers will not accept a job if a tractor has a manual. Makes me wonder if it's a matter of time for things like the new Peterbilt 589 to come in only an auto. On autos, there are some slick features such as a cruise control being linked to gps allowing it to slow when going uphill, knowing a downhill is coming up that will make up for it. And true, in a fleet, 6.7 mpg vs. 6.4 mpg is a big deal with respect to operating costs...

I had an 18spd in my W900 and 10spd auto in my Sterlings. Pros and cons to both. I want some form of non-CVT 2 pedal in my vehicles now. Convenience rules in retirement.

This is driven by meeting emissions standards in Europe....not based on take rate etc. Still plenty of manual cars here in the U.S.

US is probably the strongest market for manuals. Lots of manufacturers have thought long and hard about eliminating the manuals for the US. Some even make manuals available primarily for the US because of enthusiast demand, ie; MK8 Golf R

This is driven by meeting emissions standards in Europe....not based on take rate etc. Still plenty of manual cars here in the U.S.
The list seems to be growing, which is why of all cars to lose it, the GTI, is surprising

Back