Manual transmissions in pickup trucks.

I see where many folks state they only want a manual transmission in cars they buy. How about pickups? The only pickup I could find new today, nearby with a manual transmission, is a Jeep gladiator. Supposedly Toyota still has one but I searched within 500 miles and didn't see one. Who sells a manual in a new pickup and where are they. I am not currently in the market for a vehicle. Just curious I suppose.

I had an S-10 manual for a few years.... It was pretty much loaded besides the manual. But honestly for where I was driving it (construction sites) I would have preferred an automatic. But it did have the coldest AC I've ever experienced!

I see where many folks state they only want a manual transmission in cars they buy. How about pickups? The only pickup I could find new today, nearby with a manual transmission, is a Jeep gladiator. Supposedly Toyota still has one but I searched within 500 miles and didn't see one. Who sells a manual in a new pickup and where are they. I am not currently in the market for a vehicle. Just curious I suppose.
the Big 3 basically stopped 15 or more years ago... only holdout was the Diesel Ram 2500/3500 and FCAstopped offering the manual in 2018 or so. As popular as people claim they are, you can't find any on the road or for sale. Go figure

my 95 F150 is a manual. I'd prefer an auto
I had the mazda 5 speed, it sucked. 1st gear was way too tall and the thing rattled.

Best manual transmission I ever had was the New Venture in my Dakota, had the "top loader" stick directly connnected to the guts.

My BIL has a 2014 dodge 6.7 Cummins (113k miles) with a manual transmission. A dealer offered him 45k last year for it. He bought it for that much in 2014 lol

Driving a car with a clutch and shifting gears is on its way out. It’s a bummer. I’m teaching my 16yr old to drive a MT and he’s loving it!!!

Nobody sells a manual transmission in a truck any longer. Ram was the last holdout in 2018. Ram still offers a manual on the Ram 4000 in Mexico. From my understanding the manual transmission option in the 2500/3500 lost towing and hauling capability.

Partially due to low consumer uptake, and partially due to the advent of 8/9/10 speed transmissions.

To be fair, lots of these new transmissions are being driven by the EPA, but that being said. The trucks with the 8/10 speed transmissions can do some flat-out amazing things. I don't think I would be near as comfortable towing my big travel trailer if I only had 6 gears and had to change them myself. Wouldn't be so bad daily driving, but would suck for hauling.

Had a 2002 dodge dakota 4.7V8 with a stick. It was a monster and really fun to drive. I miss it.

Modern automatics are quite amazing. Maybe back in the day with slow 4 speed autos a manual netted better gearing, control, and economy. Now these things shift fast and can hold a lot of power and pull a lot of weight.

You buy a stick in a cheap car to to save money or in a sporty car for more fun. Not sure what the point would be in a slow heavy truck. Rowing through the long throws would be tedious, not fun.

As with cars, the diminishing demand for sticks brought an end to manufacturers spending money to certify another drivetrain.
If buyers really wanted sticks, they'd have voted with their wallets when they were available and they would never have gone away.
Pity, since driving a stick is entertaining and fun and does give one more control over any vehicle.

Back