% of Manual vs. Auto Transmissions - New Autos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: E150GT
Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Originally Posted By: Kira
Ford dropped the stick in the F-150 line for the 2016 model year I THINK.
The article I read said the demand for F-150 manuals dropped below the 5% mark.

I do not know about the F-250, 350.

Ford hasn't had manual tranny in a domestic market truck for a very long time.

I think 2003 was the last year for stick F-150 and 2007 was the last year for F-250 and up.
+

For the F150 I believe it was 2008. My friend has a 2007 F150 4.2 RWD and a 5 Speed.

Yeah it was 2008 for the F150 and 2010 for the superduty. I have a 2009 F350 6 speed manual and it took me 3-4 years of actively looking to find the one i wanted. As most were special order with people that kept them because they knew they were going to be fazed out. Its sad to see them go, i learned to drive on the farm in a 95 F250 manual so i wanted one of my own. Currently for ford you can only get manuals for base focus or the sports cars.

I guess it's just that since Americans were driving land yachts during the 60s and early 70s, a Manual transmission would mean a clutch that is reeealllyyy heavy, so Automatics became the norm, and that would spread to smaller cars.
In the 60s and 70s, a lot of Europeans were driving around in VW Beetles, Fiat 500s and 600s etc etc, 99.99% of these had manual gearboxes, some weren't even synchromesh gearboxes yet.

Also, since public transport is so poor in the US, driving is the only means to get around really, so why make it harder with a manual transmission? in the majority of European cities, public trnasport is good and cheap, so a lot of people don't have the need to own a car at all.

If you ask almost any Car guy from Europe they will tell you that Automatics are for lazy people who want to be disconnected from the experience of driving.
In drag racing they are better, but drag racing is only a little bit popular in the UK, it doesn't come even close to the popularity of something like the WRC.

I had the last Silverado 1500 W/T with a Stick. 2007 I think? Short box 4x4 4.3.

Made with disdain in Indiana. Must a been another labour dispute ...

Nice trans but bad clutch hydraulics. I HATE non adjustable clutches!

Subaru still sells a stick SUV. Maybe FIAT JEEP, IDK.

Good luck finding ANY Korean car with a stick these days.

I think 2003 was the last year for stick F-150 and 2007 was the last year for F-250 and up.

I think you guys are both wrong. Last I read, you could still get the manual trans with a "base model" no-options (farm truck type) with a gutless 3.7 liter.

The new ecoboost 3.5 now has a ten speed auto!!

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I guess it's just that since Americans were driving land yachts during the 60s and early 70s, a Manual transmission would mean a clutch that is reeealllyyy heavy, so Automatics became the norm, and that would spread to smaller cars.
In the 60s and 70s, a lot of Europeans were driving around in VW Beetles, Fiat 500s and 600s etc etc, 99.99% of these had manual gearboxes, some weren't even synchromesh gearboxes yet.

Also, since public transport is so poor in the US, driving is the only means to get around really, so why make it harder with a manual transmission? in the majority of European cities, public trnasport is good and cheap, so a lot of people don't have the need to own a car at all.

If you ask almost any Car guy from Europe they will tell you that Automatics are for lazy people who want to be disconnected from the experience of driving.
In drag racing they are better, but drag racing is only a little bit popular in the UK, it doesn't come even close to the popularity of something like the WRC.

The driving experience for a lot of us is 1-2 hours stop and go traffic so the manual transmission becomes a pain in the arse. Today's clutches probably won't last too long under those conditions.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I think you guys are both wrong. Last I read, you could still get the manual trans with a "base model" no-options (farm truck type) with a gutless 3.7 liter.

The new ecoboost 3.5 now has a ten speed auto!!

fueleconomy.gov doesn't show a manual tranny option. They are a good historical reference, too: If a maker paid the money for a powertrain to get certified, they very very likely sold some.

For young people a manual transmission would get in the way of texting or talking on the phone or searching the display screen to adjust something or other.

Driving already gets in their way and a manual would just be another distraction.

I like the manual in my little daily Peugeot, i wouldn't want a slushbox behind that little 1.1L engine since it makes less than 60 Hp, it actually feels quite nippy with the light five speed it has because it weighs nothing ( 1800 lbs ).
And since my daily commute is less than 15 miles and it gets nearly 50 Mpg, i'm happy.

As I posted in another thread, I'm coming around to the opinion that a manual tends to be more entertaining when the car actually needs a manual gearbox. For example, my 318ti(with a Turner Motorsports Conforti chip) makes around 140 lb-ft of torque at 4500 rpm. You simply must keep the engine wound tight to make anything close to rapid progress- and it's a whole lot of fun to drive it in that fashion. In contrast, my M235i makes 330 lb-ft of twist from 1400 to 4500 rpm; with such a flat torque curve there is almost always a ton of thrust available regardless of rpm and/or the gear selected. It's also nice to have a car that can convert from cruise mode to track toy mode with the press of a button. If I was buying an M2 or M3 I would definitely go with a manual every time, but in the less intense models an automatic transmission does not detract from my enjoyment of the car- but then at 60 years of age I'm fast approaching geezer status.

With the power and torque todays sporty engines have, it's nigh impossible to make a light but sensitive clutch and a manual geearbox that shifts smoothly and quickly.

Those engines often have more power than and torque comparable to big rigs of a few decades ago.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
...but then at 60 years of age I'm fast approaching FAST geezer status.

[off-topic]
Isn't the ^^^ suggested more suitable :p ?
[/off topic]

Originally Posted By: pandus13
...but then at 60 years of age I'm fast approaching FAST geezer status.

[off-topic]
Isn't the ^^^ suggested more suitable :p ?
[/off topic]

Excellent point!!!
cheers3.gif

As I posted in another thread, I'm coming around to the opinion that a manual tends to be more entertaining when the car actually needs a manual gearbox. For example, my 318ti(with a Turner Motorsports Conforti chip) makes around 140 lb-ft of torque at 4500 rpm. You simply must keep the engine wound tight to make anything close to rapid progress- and it's a whole lot of fun to drive it in that fashion. In contrast, my M235i makes 330 lb-ft of twist from 1400 to 4500 rpm; with such a flat torque curve there is almost always a ton of thrust available regardless of rpm and/or the gear selected. It's also nice to have a car that can convert from cruise mode to track toy mode with the press of a button. If I was buying an M2 or M3 I would definitely go with a manual every time, but in the less intense models an automatic transmission does not detract from my enjoyment of the car- but then at 60 years of age I'm fast approaching geezer status.

It's still more fun with a manual and the turbo six.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Jeep Wranglers likely have the highest percentage. Jeep's new JL Wrangler, which will be introduced this fall, will have a new 6 speed manual, as well, which I'll be ordering. Test mules have been spotted with them.

My 08 Wrangler was ordered with a manual transmission and took almost 9 months to be delivered because of higher than expected demand for manual transmissions. If it were an auto, it would have been delivered in half that time, or better.

I don't think they'll die off too soon in certain vehicles where there is demand. On the other hand, many, if not most, new vehicles today don't even offer them.

I dont really agree with that anymore. I was looking at 2017 Wranglers and was surprised on how much easier it was to find in an auto.... and with too many doors!!

I think the highest percentage manual transmission car is without a doubt the WRX.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
For young people a manual transmission would get in the way of texting or talking on the phone or searching the display screen to adjust something or other.

Driving already gets in their way and a manual would just be another distraction.

I think OneEyeJack has hit on something here.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

smile.gif

Well, when I took the 2er to Putnam Park I put the car in Sport+ and the ZF 8HP45 in the Sport/Manual gate and there were maybe a couple of spots on the track-at most-where I might have done something different from what the autobox did.
I can double-clutch in my sleep- and I've been driving manual cars in HPDEs since 1988 and instructing since 1996, but with a transmission like the 8 speed ZF I can honestly say that I don't miss a third pedal.
In a compact sport coupe like the M235i the automatic is perfect- it's faster, more economical, and the ability to toggle between modes to suit conditions is the icing on the cake.

Fyi
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

smile.gif

Well, when I took the 2er to Putnam Park I put the car in Sport+ and the ZF 8HP45 in the Sport/Manual gate and there were maybe a couple of spots on the track-at most-where I might have done something different from what the autobox did.
I can double-clutch in my sleep- and I've been driving manual cars in HPDEs since 1988 and instructing since 1996, but with a transmission like the 8 speed ZF I can honestly say that I don't miss a third pedal.
In a compact sport coupe like the M235i the automatic is perfect- it's faster, more economical, and the ability to toggle between modes to suit conditions is the icing on the cake.

Maybe more economical, maybe faster, but it's still not the same no matter how you slice it..... it's missing that intangible that can only be had with a 3rd pedal, imo. The zf is a great trans, but I still opted for the tremec when I bought my chally scat pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back