New job offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: xshoex
As long as job security is good, go for it. My salary isn't the best but I have the best benefits and job security is practically guaranteed that's all i need (at the moment)

Same here plus it's very relaxed where I'm at now. I wear jean shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes to the office, don't have to shave if I don't want to and a couple times a month the beer cart comes around at 3.

I also only have five years if I retire at 65. I've been asked if I thought about staying on part time, but that's five years from now, who knows.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
I had no pension-I retired at 55 years of age. I intend to file for Social Security at 62-I want my money before that goes belly up.

Your fears will cost you money. But that's pretty common. Lots of people think it will go belly up, but basically once the threat of insolvency comes up, Congress will probably get around to fixing it. It's not called the 3rd rail of politics for nothing. It's about as valid as the government defaulting on the debt. They've come close but still hasn't happened yet.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I had no pension-I retired at 55 years of age. I intend to file for Social Security at 62-I want my money before that goes belly up.

Your fears will cost you money. But that's pretty common. Lots of people think it will go belly up, but basically once the threat of insolvency comes up, Congress will probably get around to fixing it. It's not called the 3rd rail of politics for nothing. It's about as valid as the government defaulting on the debt. They've come close but still hasn't happened yet.

I have done the math as far as the break even point is concerned. Chances are-it won't cost me any money.

I have done the math as far as the break even point is concerned. Chances are-it won't cost me any money.

It won't cost you any money if you die early enough. It's calculated to be neutral but their calculations are now off, people are living longer. If you have family history or certain risk factors pointing to an earlier death, then it's worth it to take it earlier. Not worth it to take it earlier if you just think they're going to go broke.

Originally Posted By: SilverGt
The down side is that they would no longer need the company I work for now because I would be covering that.

So you will work for a customer of your current employer. But because of "you" they won't be a customer any longer. Not good, stinks bad. Unless it's a small amount of money that your current employer would be losing in revenue. Like a once a year visit from the Orkin man or something.

Very rare in the USA to retire at 55 and not be a government (city / state / federal) employee.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Very rare in the USA to retire at 55 and not be a government (city / state / federal) employee.

Oh, Comme on MR. Nice:

I'm sure you found some folks in the medical field with lots of money and not time to spend it....
they where ripe for RealEstate investments/Cashflow or Money Lenders or Big Plays in the Stocks....

I remember a certain Doc in FL who also own a guns company and couple other venues who posted for years his Oil Analysis results on his exotics here on this site???

Also, some folks need only little in retirement....

Lots of people retire at a young age. Here's one that did it at 28 and with 2.25 million.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/02/pf/early-retirement/index.html

Depends upon your definition of "Lots"! Over 50%? over 10%?? over 1%??? over 0.1%???? over 0.01%????? of the people?????
Let us see your answer!

smirk.gif
....(rolling eyes).

Yeah, I'm sure there's lots of people like that 28 year old woman in the USA.

I had an Industrial sales job. While I made decent money-it wouldn't have provided enough retirement AND living the Southern California lifestyle (where my wife and I lived all our life-prior to retiring to Utah). I have chronicled my real estate investing more than once on BITOG-that was the vehicle for my retirement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I worked 37 years for one company as a residential HVAC Service Tech then moved to another company as a commercial HVAC Service Tech. One of our customers has offered me a position in their maintenance dept. It would be a little bit better salary and much better benefits. The down side is that they would no longer need the company I work for now because I would be covering that. What do you think ? What would you do ?

How about going back to your company, telling them you've had an offer from another company (don't say which), and asking them what they can do to match it?
You can ONLY do that ONCE you have a solid offer in your hand and are ready to start the next business day. I've seen folks walked out before, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go straight to jail (figuratively) for suggesting that.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I worked 37 years for one company as a residential HVAC Service Tech then moved to another company as a commercial HVAC Service Tech. One of our customers has offered me a position in their maintenance dept. It would be a little bit better salary and much better benefits. The down side is that they would no longer need the company I work for now because I would be covering that. What do you think ? What would you do ?

How about going back to your company, telling them you've had an offer from another company (don't say which), and asking them what they can do to match it?
You can ONLY do that ONCE you have a solid offer in your hand and are ready to start the next business day. I've seen folks walked out before, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go straight to jail (figuratively) for suggesting that.

I have read in a counter offer situation that statistically the person who received the counter offer leaves within a short period anyway. You can come up with several scenarios why this is true.

Lots of people retire at a young age. Here's one that did it at 28 and with 2.25 million.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/02/pf/early-retirement/index.html

Um, she is 29 preggers and her husband is still working. I think I would call her a housewife, not retired. Financially independent, but still a housewife.

pandus13,

Most doctors, especially surgeons are multi millionaires. Higher education level = higher compensation in any career field. That doctor with all his exotic cars and mansion earned it, nobody should be jealous of him.

CKN,

Good for you that you invested wisely and retired early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back