2 job offers need advice

I'm very torn between 2 job offers that I received.

The first is a Pharmacy Tech Apprenticeship at Walgreens. I have no experience in Pharmacy, but they will do hands on with me and pay for my licensing/education. I'm on the edge about it due to the articles surfacing that staff at CVS and Walgreens are walking out, because the working conditions are burning them out. The pharmacists are overworked which is a danger when filling prescriptions that are sophisticated in dosaging and type such as anti rejection drugs and controlled drugs such as Xanax, and Percoset.

The second job is a Customer Service Supervisor position at Whole Foods. It's a gateway into possible management it pays slightly higher than the Pharmacy Tech Apprenticeship position.

I think the main difference is that one is a small drugstore, and the other is a huge specialty grocery store. There is a delay with Whole Foods with regard to my background check clearing. Walgreens already processed my drug test and background as of today.

Unless you plan to go to pharmacist school which takes a while and is expensive and rigorous, there is not much growth upside as a pharmacy tech. You can get into a pharmaceutical company with that experience if you want to grow that way. You can also go to a hospital pharmacy but not sure how much growth opportunity there is there.

Lot so growth opportunities at Whole Foods.

Unless you plan to go to pharmacist school which takes a while and is expensive and rigorous, there is not much growth upside as a pharmacy tech. You can get into a pharmaceutical company with that experience if you want to grow that way. You can also go to a hospital pharmacy but not sure how much growth opportunity there is there.

Lot so growth opportunities at Whole Foods.
I agree with Leo and would add the pharm tech could also open up not just pharmaceutical companies but potentially health plans or pharmacy benefit managers, but that is definitely not a straight line to get there.

What is a Pharmacy Tech? Is that the person at the pharmacy counter that goes to the shelf to pick up your drugs when you come to pick them up? What training do you need for that? It's mostly a cashier job, no? Anything that involves dispensing and dosing the meds will require formal training like what the pharmacist has.

What is a Pharmacy Tech? Is that the person at the pharmacy counter that goes to the shelf to pick up your drugs when you come to pick them up? What training do you need for that? It's mostly a cashier job, no? Anything that involves dispensing and dosing the meds will require formal training like what the pharmacist has.
They count pills under the guide of a pharmacist. A pharmacist is responsible for looking at prescription dosages and comparing and contrasting what medications the patient is currently on to establish is there are any dangerous interactions.

They count pills under the guide of a pharmacist.
What training do you need for that? I mean, most people by age 4 know how to count.

A pharmacist is responsible for looking at prescription dosages and comparing and contrasting what medications the patient is currently on to establish is there are any dangerous interactions.
That is all computerized now. And many pharmacies are switching to automated dispenser systems that dispense, label and package the prescription without pharmacist intervention. Not a long term career opportunity.

Pharmacy technician at hospital is much better than retail like, CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, etc…

OP are you still in college ?
If so what is your major ?
Not in college and hence zero desire to return. I went for clinical science. I'd have to get a masters or doctorate to make significant money.

Whole Foods IMO

I'm seeing and hearing too much discourse in the pharmacy these days
Aren't WG employees planning a walk out soon?
The walkout situation has been ongoing. I think at this point I'm going to go with Whole Foods. I just need to be more patient with their background check provider.

There were red flags with the walgreens offer. I interviewed just under 30 minutes and was offered the position via an email offer letter. Most positions that are more elevated than standard cashiers require a day or two before the send an offer letter. I left the day of the interview and after 40 minutes an email offer letter came. Whole Foods rook 4 days before calling me back to negotiate a pay rate and offer letter.

Whole Foods for sure, our local Walgreens is a disaster, they always only have one tech to run the service desk and the drive thru, have gone thru with 6 cars waiting in the drive thru and more people waiting inside, lot of people complain but nothing is done to fix it. (n)

I would say the decision also depends on your personality. Pharmacy work is very disciplined, tightly regulated, by the book, and according to a plethora of laws. If you are used to working like that OK, but a free spirit won't be tolerated.

I'm sure customer service has rules and policies too, but I doubt there are anywhere near as many constraints in that field.

What training do you need for that? I mean, most people by age 4 know how to count.

That is all computerized now. And many pharmacies are switching to automated dispenser systems that dispense, label and package the prescription without pharmacist intervention. Not a long term career opportunity.
I myself am not totally sure. I've just been observing every time I've needed to get a prescription filled that I see techs counting pills and running insurance policies and doing GoodRx coupons from the GoodRx app

Is working in a retail environment a must?
For the time being yes, because I have the experience. I have so many retailers contacting me because of my lengthy resume, but most are department stores and other clothing related retail. The positions are mostly seasonal which is a negative with regard to stability. I've been trying to get a hotel desk job since I already have hotel experience, but out of the 6 interviews a different hotels no offer was ever made only decline emails. I've since given up on hotel roles. The skillet is very similar to retail and restaurant. I'm leaving a restaurant waitstaff position because business has died so heavily. I rely on tips to pay bills and live.

Back