2 job offers need advice

If you have no desire to enhance your education then the pharmacy tech is likely a dead end job. You will need to further your education and skillset to move up in healthcare field.

Customer service supervisor? Without the desire to further your education this could be a dead end job as well but not as likely as the pharmacy tech job.

I think 95% of all people working retail/food service jobs today are flat out wimps, it is a shining example of the chickens coming home to roost with these people being raised not to encounter anything tough in their life. If that hurts your feeeelings, so be it. It's the truth.

Are there bad customers out there? Probably, but I guarantee you they are mostly located in like-minded areas. Case in point-

My daughter works in a major grocery store chain pharmacy as the main interaction between customer and the wall of bagged scripts. She's not a tech, not a Pharmacist. She's been doing this for 3 months. She's making almost double minimum wage to ask people their name and DOB and hand them a bag with a bottle of pills in it. She complains about it. She complains about customers "being mean". I won't say my daughter is a wimp, she has been through a serious, life-threatening illness and is back to going to college, doing 2 clinicals a week in a hospital and working at the pharmacy. But this BS of saying that customers "are mean" at EVERY SINGLE JOB she works is tired. I'm sick of it. Toughen up! Learn to give it back to them! If the customer is really a problem, tell them! Everything is on video/audio today.

If your only source of income due to your desires, education, experience and abilities is retail work, you had better buck up and learn to deal with the public. I worked in a grocery store for 3-1/2 years from the time I was 17 until 20 when I got out of college and began my "career". I dealt with horrible managers, customers always asking stupid questions, customers demanding stuff, shoplifters and being asked to CHASE SHOPLIFTERS THROUGH THE STORE, chase them out in the parking lot, even drive the store manager down the road chasing them... Imagine that today.

These two jobs you describe sound like low-wage, low-responsibility work, work not meant to be a life-long career. It's something to do to earn some money to partially sustain you while you educate yourself with skills to get a real job....

Because the doctor who gave the prescription can't?

Seems like a job without a purpose these days. Not like they're blending the mess up like 100yrs ago.
Sometimes you have 8 doctors. Stuff falls in cracks. Pharmacist is last line against interactions etc.

I'd avoid walgreens. They seem like a big floating turd maybe going under. At least at all the ones near me I wouldnt want to work at one.

Whole foods. you have many opportunities if you dont like your job to side transfer.
Although I heard after amazon bought them some were crying.

Another option is Amazon Warehouse. they start around the same money and have plenty of opportunities to get promoted.
being a non-retail position is a huge plus.. and health insurance is about 10$ a week.

It really depends on what field you're in. Sure, having a profession in chemistry is going to have less jobs on a resume, due to the fact that chemistry jobs are sophisticated. Not many can fill chemistry roles. Retail in general has high turnover. It comes down to how good the company you work for is and how your superiors are such as rule Regional and District Managers. Most staff in retail including managers stay a max of 4 years before moving onto another retail company, due to varying factors such as being burned out, or the entire site getting a clean house due to a sudden store management change.
You sort of missed his point. When your background and life situation are compared against other candidates, it doesn't exactly tell a great story when measured against traditional norms. I think there is a gap between how you think the employment world works versus how things generally work.

I was at CVS last week for a flu shot. The pharmacy techs were arguing in plain view of customers. They gave out different and wrong information to myself and others. I was not pleased.

Finally the pharmacist came and had a low cut blouse. I thought to myself her day must be awful and she’s doing that to feel good and beautiful. So I cracked a joke and she laughed. Got my shot, chatted, then left.

I’d go Whole Foods. That’s too rich for my blood but the times I’ve been there people were friendly. You have to spend your day at the place of employment, why be miserable. My .02 ymmv

It really depends on what field you're in. Sure, having a profession in chemistry is going to have less jobs on a resume, due to the fact that chemistry jobs are sophisticated. Not many can fill chemistry roles. Retail in general has high turnover. It comes down to how good the company you work for is and how your superiors are such as rule Regional and District Managers. Most staff in retail including managers stay a max of 4 years before moving onto another retail company, due to varying factors such as being burned out, or the entire site getting a clean house due to a sudden store management change.
I wouldnt say most max of 4 years.. maybe "average".
I've been at my job 23 years.. I do have a few occasional side jobs to perk up my $$$, but NE Ohio is a depressed state for jobs.
Hard to beat the vacation time, .61 mile commute, and paid insurance for my area.

The pharmacy techs were arguing in plain view of customers.

I see this, and the more "friendly" conversations among retail workers to the point that it grossly interferes with customer service today.

This is what I hear/see at nearly every single retail cash register today-

Cashier to me: "Did you find everything you were looking for?"

Assistant or cashier to other employee: "what time do you get off?" "What time do you go on break?" "What time did you come in?" Ad nauseum.

And this- I'm interacting with an employee, either asking a question or getting an answer/some help and either another employee or customer walks up and in mid-sentence of either me or the person helping me, "hey can you do this?" "Hey what time do you go on break?" "Hey, excuse me sir/ma'am, do you know where __________ is?"

It literally happens every single time I'm in a store. Someone comes up and interrupts the person helping me. I can't be the only one that notices these two attributes about retail workers today.

I was at CVS last week for a flu shot. The pharmacy techs were arguing in plain view of customers. They gave out different and wrong information to myself and others. I was not pleased.

Finally the pharmacist came and had a low cut blouse. I thought to myself her day must be awful and she’s doing that to feel good and beautiful. So I cracked a joke and she laughed. Got my shot, chatted, then left.

I’d go Whole Foods. That’s too rich for my blood but the times I’ve been there people were friendly. You have to spend your day at the place of employment, why be miserable. My .02 ymmv
There's a lot to be said for a better class of clientele.

I also find coffee shop workers to be the worst offenders of this. It almost seems like you have to be a social outcast to be employable at one.
My company has our own cafeteria and we've been through several workers and chefs in there. We found a sandwich maker lady at our old cafeteria and liked her so much that we stole her away from our old cafeteria to come with us. We even paid her to stay home during Covid. It wasn't for her sandwich making prowess. She's just friendly and smiles and doesn't look like she's plotting to slit our throats like the other cafeteria workers. Lol

My daughter is doing well at Whole Foods. Im really happy that she found "a place" she is happy with and with advancement.
However I cant comment that she makes more than a pharmacist. I doubt it but she is happy and self sustaining. Worked her way up from a retail location into internet operations. I cant be more happy for her. Great kid always worked hard but for some time she struggled for her place in this world and so far, she found it and doing well.

What was REALLY impressive to me was management encouraged her to apply for higher position openings because her work ethics and picked up on her smarts.
Im soooo happy for her.

Whole Foods definitely seems like the place with more growth.

Where you’ll see yourself in 5 years is a good thing to think about regardless of it being at that job or something else.

I'm very torn between 2 job offers that I received.

The first is a Pharmacy Tech Apprenticeship at Walgreens. I have no experience in Pharmacy, but they will do hands on with me and pay for my licensing/education. I'm on the edge about it due to the articles surfacing that staff at CVS and Walgreens are walking out, because the working conditions are burning them out. The pharmacists are overworked which is a danger when filling prescriptions that are sophisticated in dosaging and type such as anti rejection drugs and controlled drugs such as Xanax, and Percoset.

The second job is a Customer Service Supervisor position at Whole Foods. It's a gateway into possible management it pays slightly higher than the Pharmacy Tech Apprenticeship position.

I think the main difference is that one is a small drugstore, and the other is a huge specialty grocery store. There is a delay with Whole Foods with regard to my background check clearing. Walgreens already processed my drug test and background as of today.
My dad's career was in hospital pharmacy and after he got his Masters he was mainly in pharmacy management for 30 years. He was able to successfully recruit several of my college friends to work as techs back in the early 1990s while they were going to school. It was one of the best part time jobs you could get at that time. They would work weekends and go to school during the week. It paid close to $20 per hour at the time which for back then was really solid money for a late teens/early 20s person.

I would take the pharmacy tech apprentice position and go for your certification. You don't have to keep working for Walgreens, once you have some experience under your belt you can work in a more clinical setting without the annoying resale/retail side of things. The demand is high for anything in the medical field.

^^I'm not totally sure either.
Former employee of WG said to me {you'd} become a firewall between "the public"; with all their incomplete paperwork and stress.
Chain stores often require traveling.

...and WTH is an "Apprenticeship at a Walgreens, anyway?

A successful pharmacist's son told me the education required for a pharmaceutical career is immense and the pay is bad.
Pharmacists in grocery stores need a union to get fair pay.

Make the supervisors job a managerial rung. Continue educating yourself. Don't run up any stupid debt.

"lengthy resume" divided by time = telling data. Consider having separate, edited resumes for specific talent foci.
Pharmacy is a STEM major with real science classes, but it's not impossible. It's not anything like going to med school. You can come out with a 4 year degree and get hired almost immediately.

When my dad was in pharmacy management they were hiring people straight out of undergrad pharmacy schools in the 6 figure range, clinical setting. And this was a few years back, he quit his managment job in the mid 2010s and was just a pharmacist until he retired a couple of years ago. I dunno but in my book making $120K/yr when you're 23 years old is pretty good, even with inflation.

Sometimes you have 8 doctors. Stuff falls in cracks. Pharmacist is last line against interactions etc.

I'd avoid walgreens. They seem like a big floating turd maybe going under. At least at all the ones near me I wouldnt want to work at one.

Whole foods. you have many opportunities if you dont like your job to side transfer.
Although I heard after amazon bought them some were crying.

Another option is Amazon Warehouse. they start around the same money and have plenty of opportunities to get promoted.
being a non-retail position is a huge plus.. and health insurance is about 10$ a week.
Sure, but if you get pills at multiple pharmacies, they wouldn't know either.

Last Walgreen pharmacy I went to was for med refill after work. Was dirty (logging) and they told me they know "my type" basically that I was a crackhead seaking pain pills and not a disabled vet with injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, but if you get pills at multiple pharmacies, they wouldn't know either.

Last Walgreen pharmacy I went to was for med refill after work. Was dirty (logging) and they told me they know "my type" basically that I was a crackhead seaking pain pills and not a disabled vet with injuries.
States normally have central registries where controlled substance prescriptions are reported. Pharmacies and doctors all have access to it and make their prescribing or filling decisions based on that. Pharmacies can refuse to fill prescriptions if they think you are a drug seeker.

Last edited by a moderator:
The c
If you have no desire to enhance your education then the pharmacy tech is likely a dead end job. You will need to further your education and skillset to move up in healthcare field.

Customer service supervisor? Without the desire to further your education this could be a dead end job as well but not as likely as the pharmacy tech job.
The customer service supervisor position has gateway potential to move into a department manager at the store that I would work at or transfer to another whole foods location that has an open department manager position

States normally have central registries where controlled substance prescriptions are reported. Pharmacies and doctors all have access to it and make their prescribing or filling decisions based on that. Pharmacies can refuse to fill prescriptions if they think you are a drug seeker.
Yes, it's often refeded to "historical data" ER uses it when people come in with severe withdrawal symptoms when they run out of pills too early to refill a subsequent refill

Back