HVAC Recommendation To A Neighbor

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
The other day my elderly neighbor called me and asked for a HVAC company recommendation.
All my neighbors and relatives do this. Not sure why.........
I am happy to help but fear they could get bad service as they have huge turnovers on the techs these days.

This neighbor is a great guy but Mister perfection.... don't walk on my grass type of dude too.
I left yesterday and seen the tech at his house. I said to myself I sure hope this goes down well.
His AC unit is 37 years old.
A few hours later I got home, and I couldn't believe my eyes. The tech had his company sign out front plunged deeply
into the grass at my neighbor's house. Proudly along the road. It must have been a suck-fest....
On to the next :D

A few hours later I got home, and I couldn't believe my eyes. The tech had his company sign out front plunged deeply
into the grass at my neighbor's house. Proudly along the road. It must have been a suck-fest....

Maybe offered a small discount for the placement of the sign? I've heard of that.

Honestly I went through it in 2020 (pandemic) and it was unpleasant. I did learn a lot. If I could put it into two sentences, you want the thorough job of the company that's been around at least 15 years (this rules out at least 75%), who may be the most expensive. But you want that job at the cheapest estimate you got (may or may not be doable).

Mine was 3 y.o. when I moved in and so the AC broke year 20. Furnace blower was getting weak but furnace still worked.

Anyway, we had a chimney guy put a sign in the lawn once, and we actually got a letter from the township that it's not allowed and to remove it or face a fine. This is a 1951 community, no HOA or anything!

So I took the sign down, put it in back and was gonna throw it out. That contractor came and took it back and emailed us glad it was not thrown out it costs him money! lol

Funny, my wife put a pre school sign up and I had visions of getting a letter from the township. Nope, been like 3 years now (my thought was maybe a sign supporting a community entity is tolerated?).

The other day my elderly neighbor called me and asked for a HVAC company recommendation.
All my neighbors and relatives do this. Not sure why.........
I am happy to help but fear they could get bad service as they have huge turnovers on the techs these days.

This neighbor is a great guy but Mister perfection.... don't walk on my grass type of dude too.
I left yesterday and seen the tech at his house. I said to myself I sure hope this goes down well.
His AC unit is 37 years old.
On to the next :D
This actually reminded me, so I looked up my house on redfin. It has pictures from 2002, when I bought the house.

Century 21 has a yellow post with the for sale sign hammered into the lawn--do they still do that? It probably was as strong as my mom's mailbox in CT! :ROFLMAO:

Honestly I went through it in 2020 (pandemic) and it was unpleasant. I did learn a lot. If I could put it into two sentences, you want the thorough job of the company that's been around at least 15 years (this rules out at least 75%), who may be the most expensive. But you want that job at the cheapest estimate you got (may or may not be doable).

Mine was 3 y.o. when I moved in and so the AC broke year 20. Furnace blower was getting weak but furnace still worked.

Anyway, we had a chimney guy put a sign in the lawn once, and we actually got a letter from the township that it's not allowed and to remove it or face a fine. This is a 1951 community, no HOA or anything!

So I took the sign down, put it in back and was gonna throw it out. That contractor came and took it back and emailed us glad it was not thrown out it costs him money! lol

Funny, my wife put a pre school sign up and I had visions of getting a letter from the township. Nope, been like 3 years now (my thought was maybe a sign supporting a community entity is tolerated?).
Yeah, you don't mess around with HVAC issues.
I had the best guy I know and have used many companies.
But a few years ago, he was put in a position of new installs only and I guess they needed him for that
as in that situation it has to be right. I often get nervous when I see HVAC companies advertising for techs all year long.
Something is not right, and you don't go through help weekly unless there are other issues.

This actually reminded me, so I looked up my house on redfin. It has pictures from 2002, when I bought the house.

Century 21 has a yellow post with the for sale sign hammered into the lawn--do they still do that? It probably was as strong as my mom's mailbox in CT! :ROFLMAO:
Let me tell ya......... in Florida the agents are lazy loungers...
They won't show you the property and fight you about putting a sign on the yard of yours. Often
they try to con you to do it for them.. Happened to me twice last year.

My younger sister had an American Standard furnace and AC installed a few years ago. She used a small company that the owner, his son and a helper do all the tech work while his wife answers calls and schedules appointments. They don't advertise and get enough business by word of mouth.

Just incase you live in central Ohio and need work done. If you read his about page its telling:

Thirty seven year old system? Bring him down gently to today's reality that you ain't gonna get that from any modern system/install.

My younger sister had an American Standard furnace and AC installed a few years ago. She used a small company that the owner, his son and a helper do all the tech work while his wife answers calls and schedules appointments. They don't advertise and get enough business by word of mouth.

Just incase you live in central Ohio and need work done. If you read his about page its telling:
Actually had a person similar work on the 1999 system. He was a two-man show that did the whole 9 yards, shook hands, put baggies on his shoes, etc. My only reservation was the fact that he was booked 2+ weeks in advance at all times. That is tricky when it's winter or summer and there's a breakdown. Also, many of the larger cos. "roll" the 10 year maintenance into the price--here's where if you take the lowest quote which doesn't include it and get the same price from the guy that does....

I've always heard the factory included warranty won't cut it. There's a breakdown year 1, it can be over $1,000 even though under warranty, because of a recharge needed, etc.

I think my co. is solid, been around since the 70's, but they did set the blower the same for AC as heat, and the system froze up when it was over 90F in a matter of a week and a half. It happens I guess, but it's all covered full 10 years no matter what, and they should be around for that 10 years...

I'd opt for a box fan at that point 👉
I had read Goodman is not even repaired, their entire condensers at the entry level are replaced. And they come in lowly priced…4 figures installed.

Box fans don’t hold up well when kicked across the room. My wife did that the time she left me with my son. No lie when it happened I was stunned. I actually went to Walmart to get a new one. #Lasko

I had read Goodman is not even repaired, their entire condensers at the entry level are replaced. And they come in lowly priced…4 figures installed.

Box fans don’t hold up well when kicked across the room. My wife did that the time she left me with my son. No lie when it happened I was stunned. I actually went to Walmart to get a new one. #Lasko
Of course my neighbors mother lived to be 101 years old and she worked in the garden daily and was sharp and robust. Cancer got her...
She was a great lady.

37 years?

I knew I was pushing my luck at 25 years on a forced air/air conditioning combo lol

We ended up using R Brooks and got a York system. There were plenty of install and new system pains, but they seem to have been resolved.

Yesterday I found out what was going on.
When my neighbor asked me for a HVAC company it was for a minor repair.
The people I sent him to are reliable and very fair and for an older gent available 24/7.

But for a system replacement I would not recommend them.
They are a small company and are not competitive on installs.

None of this is my business and I wouldn't bring it up either to him.
Yesterday I heard a bunch of noise, and it was that company's truck with four techs.
The view is from my kitchen window, and he was getting a propane heater and ac combo.

His house is a dream for an install. Double doors walk out basement 30 feet from his driveway.
The AC unit in the same location. Easy as pie.
They took 12.5 hrs to install. I still can't believe it. All four.... Same fuel as before nothing else changed.

Back about 18 months ago I had a house done.
Basement with no walkout or even a Bilco door. A bunch of steps too
Next an attic install, hard and tight to get to. Two story.

So, double the units... 2 x propane and 2 x AC
Remove old as well. 4 techs.... 6.5 hrs for all - the whole deal and that included two thermos and no
call back since. Top of the line systems and a great price and service. No dings on the walls or trim. Done right.

Things can happen but it was a gravy job...

Back