Should i take a federal job out of state?

Hello everyone,
I am working as a teacher in chartered school and as an adjunct instructor at local community College in south Texas. I have an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineer and PhD in material science. I was applying for federal jobs mostly in Texas for the past year, after several applications I got two interviews last month, one was a mechanical engineer position at DLA, whitehall ohio(which I applied even though its was out of state hoping they won't call me) and another engineer position as inspector at PHMSA, Houston. I received email last week with a tentative offer for the ohio job, they pay $68000 starting now I make $58000 and my house is paid for. My wife is against moving to ohio, she thinks it's a lateral move, since the money is not a big compared to what I make now. My family is not going to move with me. Should I take this federal job?
I never had engineering job before, as I was only teaching.
Imho I would stay put. Where you move could be where you stay. That happened to me. I wound up in the Phila suburbs. It would be a lie if I said oh this is what I envisioned when I was 22. 25 years goes by in the blink of an eye.

If you like Texas and want to stay in the area, find a job you would like there. If you actually like Ohio, then yes take the job.

When you say your family will not be moving, do you mean temporarily or for good? If you’re looking for a new start, the I guess the move would work. 😂

My first teaching job was $32k in base salary in 2014. :oops:😧
Our teachers make $72k for elementary (I looked was curious), and they quit all the time. Some leave to have a family. Not sure what a HS teacher gets but I was quite surprised what an elementary principal makes…

Edit another elementary teacher started at 57k in 2015 so it looks like it takes about 8 years to reach 72k in my town. They have masters and are about 30 years old.

Last edited:
My son is graduating this spring with a degree in mechanical engineering. He has had several job offers with the low being around $60k and the high being $80k. All are entry level engineering jobs. Big difference in $ seems to be what part of the country they are in. He was in the Marine Corp for 5 years so he wants to work in the defense industry. He's had several offers from defense industry contractors.

No way are you going to get an entry level engineering job offering $120k per year. Doesn't matter what level degree you have. Since you have not worked as a mechanical engineer you are going to get entry level job offers. In general, engineering jobs don't pay as well as people would think, especially entry level.

If you are a hard working driven person than the private sector is the place to be. You will have the opportunity to earn top $. If you like to show up to work and put in your 8 hrs. and go home than the gov't is for you. Can earn a decent living but won't be top $. I've had both so I know what I'm talking about, at least in my field.

One thing I would say is that engineers are clearly above average in intelligence. Someone who is starting out should feel they have every chance to succeed in this world. Do real world factors kick in? Sure. But engineers generally have a great start.

Absolutely correkt.
I agree with you that he should be paid more but you need to realize that NY, CA and others are not indicative of what is the norm for most of the US. Even so, I find it hard to believe that most custodians make 6 figures after 10 years, even in NY.
I made over 100k 7 year custodian with some overtime plus free health insurance

ZERO reasons why you should take that job.

It would be a huge mistake and your wife would probably file for divorce.

Last edited:
Imho I would stay put. Where you move could be where you stay. That happened to me. I wound up in the Phila suburbs. It would be a lie if I said oh this is what I envisioned when I was 22. 25 years goes by in the blink of an eye.

If you like Texas and want to stay in the area, find a job you would like there. If you actually like Ohio, then yes take the job.

When you say your family will not be moving, do you mean temporarily or for good? If you’re looking for a new start, the I guess the move would work. 😂
It would be temporary.

What about the cost of housing? Let’s say you sell your current house for $350k and find another house for $350k, wouldn’t you have to pay taxes? Moving expenses? I think it would take a long time to break even just on that.

What about the cost of housing? Let’s say you sell your current house for $350k and find another house for $350k, wouldn’t you have to pay taxes? Moving expenses? I think it would take a long time to break even just on that.
No taxes if he's selling a primary residence and he's been there more than a couple of years...moving expenses yes.

Federal employee here.. I can tell you that at least the Air Force is desperate for engineers, even ones with no experience. You shouldn't have any issue finding a position in TX if you spend some time on usa jobs. I'd imagine most of the positions you are going to be offered will start at GS-11-12 range which is what you were offered. However you'll quickly move into GS-13 territory with some experience/time which is a nice step up from what you're making now. Be sure to search all agencies when doing usa jobs. There are plenty of engineers where I work that are teleworking several days a week, we get plenty of leave and can use it pretty much however we want. I like it. My wife is a teacher and I'm the one who generally takes off for kids appointments and such because her time off is so limited outside of summers.

Then Northrop's, Boeing's and Lockheed's of the world are also hungry for engineers.... I have a hard time believing you can't find something local.

Moving far away from family for a 10k raise is a big NO IMO.

Glad it works for you. As long as you spend less then you make , family happy, have a retirement fund or pension and have no consumer debt you are doing well irrelevant to salary per year.
I have no debt, no car payments. Doing okay with my salary in south Texas. since my wife also work, we both have 58k jobs.

Sounds like GS-7 pay for a PhD engineer, which makes no sense. Working level should be 12-13 minimum, with no credentials or merit (since you’re coming from academia). They probably can play the game of just matching your existing pay, which if it’s that low, puts you at a low starting point, but you should determine what “full performance” pay will be in 6-12 months or so.

Regarding OH vs TX? Not sure either has huge merits vs faults. Each brings its own things to the table, good and bad. But for $10k at the pay level you mention? Seems more hassle than it’s worth. If it was something you were passionate about and taking a leadership role that would bring satisfaction, ok, maybe there are some considerations there. But for a run of the mill entry job? I don’t think it’s worth it.

one was a mechanical engineer position at DLA, whitehall ohio(which I applied even though its was out of state hoping they won't call me)

In your own words, “Hoping they won’t call me”. That’s the first hint that this isn’t a good option. Don’t apply if you don’t want a call.
The second hint is that your Wife isn’t too thrilled and thinks that it’s a lateral move, which is probably correct.
The third is that your family isn’t going to move with you. I believe a family should stay together.
Ultimately, for me, it boils down to that first hint, you applied, but hoped that they wouldn’t call.
I would pass on it based on that.

Ultimately, for you, it comes down to your gut feeling and your situation, which you are really the only one here that knows for sure.

Best of luck to you either way.
Cheers. 🍻

Federal employee here.. I can tell you that at least the Air Force is desperate for engineers, even ones with no experience. You shouldn't have any issue finding a position in TX if you spend some time on usa jobs. I'd imagine most of the positions you are going to be offered will start at GS-11-12 range which is what you were offered. However you'll quickly move into GS-13 territory with some experience/time which is a nice step up from what you're making now. Be sure to search all agencies when doing usa jobs. There are plenty of engineers where I work that are teleworking several days a week, we get plenty of leave and can use it pretty much however we want. I like it. My wife is a teacher and I'm the one who generally takes off for kids appointments and such because her time off is so limited outside of summers.

Then Northrop's, Boeing's and Lockheed's of the world are also hungry for engineers.... I have a hard time believing you can't find something local.

Moving far away from family for a 10k raise is a big NO IMO.
Isn't federal jobs are hard to get in?

Back