N.J. could require businesses to post salary ranges for open jobs under new bill

N.J. could require businesses to post salary ranges for open jobs under new bill​

I think it’s a good idea to post salary ranges for all open jobs (with necessary education/ experience / qualifications) to prevent tons of applicants wanting more money than company is willing to pay. Yes, I do understand all jobs have wiggle room for salary discussion with HR and some very, very specialized jobs don’t have a posted pay range….. I’m talking regular everyday type jobs.

Example:
I know a hospital needing an administrative assistant for their Plant Ops Dept (plumbing, electrical, HVAC, facilities) and there were applicants asking $40-45 an hour to do basic office duties. So a good 80% of all the folks interviewing for this job were wasting their time and hospital Human Resources time. Job paid around $25 and they eventually hired a person for this admin assistant position.

Do you agree or disagree with salary ranges for job postings ?

Last edited:
Seems to be a regional thing. For IT jobs, in this area, the Washington DC Metro area, employers rarely post salary ranges

In the Chicago area, you're more likely to see salary ranges posted, again, for IT jobs.

Reactions: Pew
I can't understand why anyone who is seriously looking for people to work for them, wouldn't post the pay they intend to pay. Even on Craigs list you can go on there and read thru hundreds of job posting, with no rate of pay given. When you hear on the news that companies are desperate for workers of every type, they try to be sneaky if you apply. I applied for a part time job over a year ago, because I'm retired and had extra time on my hands, and the part time job I applied for was a joke. The ad made it sound it was exactly what I wanted, but when I went for a interview, it was totally different. Posting said It was a local drivers job, but when I got there they told me they wanted someone to do every possible job there could be in that company. From lawn maintenance to cleaning the bathroom, to operating production machines, painting, misc building repairs and on. The only thing he didn't mention was me doing his taxes. All for , I kid you not $12 an hour. If they were truthful in their ad, I wouldn't have wasted my time and theirs. So making it a law for this type of BS ads, sounds like a good thing for people seriously looking for work.,,,

I can't understand why anyone who is seriously looking for people to work for them, wouldn't post the pay they intend to pay. Even on Craigs list you can go on there and read thru hundreds of job posting, with no rate of pay given. When you hear on the news that companies are desperate for workers of every type, they try to be sneaky if you apply. I applied for a part time job over a year ago, because I'm retired and had extra time on my hands, and the part time job I applied for was a joke. The ad made it sound it was exactly what I wanted, but when I went for a interview, it was totally different. Posting said It was a local drivers job, but when I got there they told me they wanted someone to do every possible job there could be in that company. From lawn maintenance to cleaning the bathroom, to operating production machines, painting, misc building repairs and on. The only thing he didn't mention was me doing his taxes. All for , I kid you not $12 an hour. If they were truthful in their ad, I wouldn't have wasted my time and theirs. So making it a law for this type of BS ads, sounds like a good thing for people seriously looking for work.,,,
Companies do it in order to control salaries. I it wasn't always this way. I remember back in the 1980's-1990's when salary ranges were listed.

Pay transparency laws are good.
  1. It prevents applicants from applying for positions that aren't in the range of their salary expectations (high or low). It stops wasting the time of both employers and applicants.
  2. It puts a roadblock to employers playing shady salary games with applicants and existing employees.
    • An employer can't lowball an applicant because of learned data. Scenario: Employer has a promising applicant but learns their residence is not in a high rent area and they knowingly reduce the expected salary offer $10K because they think the applicant will take it.
    • Existing employees know what their employer is willing to pay a new employee for the same or similar role, which may be less than what current employees salary is.
Unfortunately, many employers like doing shady #2 too much to willingly give it up for the universal benefits of #1.

N.J. could require businesses to post salary ranges for open jobs under new bill​

I think it’s a good idea to post salary ranges for all open jobs (with necessary education/ experience / qualifications) to prevent tons of applicants wanting more money than company is willing to pay. Yes, I do understand all jobs have wiggle room for salary discussion with HR and some very, very specialized jobs don’t have a posted pay range….. I’m talking regular everyday type jobs.

Example:
I know a hospital needing an administrative assistant for their Plant Ops Dept (plumbing, electrical, HVAC, facilities) and there were applicants asking $40-45 an hour to do basic office duties. So a good 80% of all the folks interviewing for this job were wasting their time and hospital Human Resources time. Job paid around $25 and they eventually hired a person for this admin assistant position.

Do you agree or disagree with salary ranges for job postings ?
It should be included but I don't now if it should be legally required.

Seems to be a regional thing. For IT jobs, in this area, the Washington DC Metro area, employers rarely post salary ranges

In the Chicago area, you're more likely to see salary ranges posted, again, for IT jobs.
This is pretty normal for high skill positions, because you may get a great candidate applying for too low / high a position, but you hire them for a different position - that may or may not have existed before you met that candidate. Did that all the time when I was hiring manager at 2 different places years ago. Or I would interview and think - wrong fit for my department, but I know someone else here that should talk to you.

I assume IT is similar - lots of different skills needed, perennially short of talent. Cast a wide net.

There is a paywall preventing me from reading more than the first paragraph of that article, but I have to assume that the law would be designed to mitigate the hiring manager from lowballing the candidate. I know that there is some talk in NY about preventing the company from asking a candidate for previous salaries. The company can say "Well we were prepared to pay a candidate as much as $X, but here is a qualified candidate who's previous job paid $X/2. Offer them a couple percent over $X/2"

My company in NJ has started to list salary ranges. It's about $60k range.

In my opinion 90% of all jobs in the USA, whether union or non union should have a posted pay range to weed out unrealistic applicants wanting more money than what their boss makes.

This is a very simple concept so nobody wastes their time.

Back