New Honda vs new Mazda vs used Lexus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Mazda 6 is a nice car for that price range.

The Mazda6(according to motormouthcanada and TFLcar just to name a two) is the best car that nobody buys. Not saying that it's the best car, just that it's the best car nobody buys. I don't particularly care for the Mazda6(love the style) as it's just too noisy on the hiwy and too firm riding around town in the everyday driving for my liking. However, it is a great car for the enthusiast.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Mazda 6 is a nice car for that price range.

The Mazda6(according to motormouthcanada and TFLcar just to name a two) is the best car that nobody buys. Not saying that it's the best car, just that it's the best car nobody buys. I don't particularly care for the Mazda6(love the style) as it's just too noisy on the hiwy and too firm riding around town in the everyday driving for my liking. However, it is a great car for the enthusiast.

Pretty sure it is this way across the whole Mazda line compared to other brands. I like the sporty feeling and don't mind stiff suspension. In my experience, the current Mazda 3 is a lot more fun drive than the current Civic and Corolla, however both of them highly outsell the Mazda 3.

Indeed!
Mazda only sold(including fleets), 297700+ vehicles in the U.S. in 2016. IKD '17 figures.

Honda sells more Civic/Accord/CR-V each individually in the U.S.
Toyota sells more Corolla/Camry/RAV4 each individually in the U.S.
Nissan sells more Sentra/Altima/Rogue each individually in the U.S.

Yeah, Mazda builds a nice vehicle(obviously we have one) in all of their models. I'd just like to see a bit of chassis ride & quiet refinement.

If you don’t want the turbo Mazda6, leftover 2017.5 models are dirt cheap now. Loaded GT with premium package is going for 26k around here for a $34k car.

I’m looking forward to driving a GT reserve when available since it’s the direct replacement for my GT but with 125 more torques for the same price!

Originally Posted By: Ddubya
Originally Posted By: Mantooth
I'm curious as to why Mazda is ranked last on your list? Has your current 6 given you problems?

No, our Mazda has been a near perfect car (even though the 2010 model is kind of a Mazda/Ford mashup similar to the Fusion). I may have to rethink my rankings once the new turbo is available in the 6. Plus I think my wife just wants to try something a little different.

Then may I suggest a Buick regal (Couple BITOGers bought these and they seem Happy about it) or a VW Pasat (Made in Tennessee)?

Also , may i suggest a couple more drive tests/sitting in the vehicles in the most common driving configuration (wife + XXXX things)?

Honda seems to have difficulty making a DI/TGDI engine that doesn’t dilute engine oil with fuel. The K24Ws have this habit and the 1.5T versions seem to have it in a big way: Honda has been banned from selling them in China until it comes up with a credible solution.

I’d stay away from a Honda 2.0T unless there were enough owner experiences reported here and elsewhere demonstrating fuel dilution isn’t an issue. Honda seems to be comfortable with design compromises that produce fuel dilution as a consequence; not sure most here are of the same opinion.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If you decide on the Accord, I would wait. It is not selling well at the moment, down about 15% for the year, where some others show growth. They should start offering much better incentives soon.

2018 Acvord sales

The redesigned Accord is kind of ugly and with cheap gasoline people are buying SUVs.

If you're keeping track of the reviews and comparisons, the new Accord is batting 1.000 and punching above its weight. It will give you the most car and best driving experience for the money.

I kind of like the new design but I will say it looks much better with the black chrome sport grill (available as an option on non-Sport models).

Don't pay too much attention to sales numbers, it mostly has to do with not offering aggressive lease specials. It's allowing Honda to recoup their considerable investment in the new platform. A good dealer will give you a respectable deal for financing.

I also really like the new Accord. The 2.0 flat out moves. A very nice driving car.

I'm in need of a new car and the Accord is at the top of the list.

I dislike the looks of the new Honda's, especially the weird wheel designs they are putting on them.

I sat in a 2018 Avalon last week and was underwhelmed, the seats were really hard and not supportive.

Huge fan of Lexus and Mazda so either of those gets my vote. One of my friends just picked up a 2018 6 touring. Really nice car and it's comfy too.

It is my understanding that Mazda has added additional sound reduction to the 6 as they have with all their models. My ‘17 CX5 is very quiet inside. With the updated interior and the turbo 2.5, it would be something to consider. Getting the top trim with the Premium Pkg gives you a HUD as well.

All your choices are good. It will come down to personal preference.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
People are buying SUVs anyway as this is where the market has been trending for some time now.

For this reason 3year lease returns on a luxury car will get you a lot for your money. The lease return cars are already made and coming back into inventory one way or another and market dictates they will have to sell for less than the residual value that was guessed at 3 years ago. The new cars they at least can see the market trends and have ramped car production down. supply and demand.

Last edited:
I appreciate the input everyone. We plan to pull the trigger on this sometime between now and August, and I'll let you know what we end up doing.

they are all great choices, just a matter of personal choice

Honda keeps value
Mazda handling, head turner
Lexus RWD, and the most residual value if you get it used

For long term, I would say the used Lexus would be the best choice.

I like Mazda's driving dynamics, but they just seem to fall apart after a few years (at least around here) and their value drops quickly when that happens. The Honda Accord is a nice car but I don't think they will hold their value like the older Hondas did, and they have a lot of new tech. The Lexus in my opinion is probably the most sound choice as far as value/reliability for the long haul.

Lexus GS RWD which should be easy to find down in TX. Around here in the rust belt only the AWD seems to be available. Plus in the DFW area luxury cars are highly desired.

Well, I told everyone I would let you know what we decided, and at the end of the day we went with a wildcard choice.

We purchased a 2017 Volvo S60 Inscription Platinum. CPO dealer demo with 5500 miles for $25,800. Car is in perfect shape, drives great, and seems to be a very good value with an original sticker of $42K. I was a little reluctant to go with a built in China car, but I could not find any anecdotal or otherwise evidence that these are having any more issues than the ones built in Sweden or Belgium. Most importantly, my wife really likes it. Believe it or not, the last 2 cars in contention were this one and a lightly used 2015 Lexus RC350 (not GS). I kind of wanted the Lexus, but she preferred the Volvo, and the price for a newer car with much lower miles and the CPO warranty and 10K, 20K, and 30K services included seemed like a good deal. We generally keep our cars 8-10 years, so only time will tell. Right now, we both really like it. The only quirk I don't really like so far is that for all the tech and safety nannies this car has, there is no blind spot detection. It is part of a different option package and somehow not included with the Platinum option group. It pretty much has every other option one could think of, and has truly the most comfortable front seats I think I have ever experienced. I feel the need, the need for Swede!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back