First time for a New/ Newer car list

Well, we finally decided that wife needs an SUV besides driving my son's 2004 CRV. We LOVE this thing because it is the proper size and height for us older folks w/ some limited mobility. We have never bought anything close to new or somewhat new car. Here is my shopping list, feel free to add any good or bad with regards to my ideas.

NEW CARS
1. RAV 4 LE
2. Outlander/ Mainly Warranty 10 yaers
3. Sportage/ Mainly Warranty

Used
1. RAV 4
2. Nx 300
3. CRV w/ 2.4L engine only
4. Evoque, I like the style but not sure

Well, we finally decided that wife needs an SUV besides driving my son's 2004 CRV. We LOVE this thing because it is the proper size and height for us older folks w/ some limited mobility. We have never bought anything close to new or somewhat new car. Here is my shopping list, feel free to add any good or bad with regards to my ideas.

NEW CARS
1. RAV 4 LE
2. Outlander/ Mainly Warranty 10 yaers
3. Sportage/ Mainly Warranty

Used
1. RAV 4
2. Nx 300
3. CRV w/ 2.4L engine only
4. Evoque, I like the style but not sure
BUDGET?

We just got a 24 Santa Cruz SEL for my wife for 29,500. Back seat is a little small but she loves it, we have no kids though. Has a beer cooler in the bed.

If your buying new, we have the new style Rav4, and we like it. However its a lot bigger than your old CR-V. You might want to look at the Corrolla Cross instead - smaller, a bit cheaper. I would also avoid K/H. I like there cars, but that Theta 2 engine is doomed.

If I were buying used, I would not buy a late model Toyota. There bathed in gold on resale apparently, because there more than new.

I also would not buy a cheap used Land Rover unless your 100% committed to fixing it yourself.

Of the used I would get the Honda or Mits. The previous generation Honda CR-V was very nice, and I think it still had the 6 speed?

If your buying new, we have the new style Rav4, and we like it. However its a lot bigger than your old CR-V. You might want to look at the Corrolla Cross instead - smaller, a bit cheaper. I would also avoid K/H. I like there cars, but that Theta 2 engine is doomed.

If I were buying used, I would not buy a late model Toyota. There bathed in gold on resale apparently, because there more than new.

I also would not buy a cheap used Land Rover unless your 100% committed to fixing it yourself.

Of the used I would get the Honda or Mits. The previous generation Honda CR-V was very nice, and I think it still had the 6 speed?
I like Honda's but they drop the 2.4 engine. The 1.5 turbo has some problems w/ head gaskets.

I like Honda's but they drop the 2.4 engine. The 1.5 turbo has some problems w/ head gaskets.
Yes, why I said used only. I wouldn't do the 1.5.

The 2.4 was available in the fourth gen - up to 2015 I think. They were nice cars IMHO, if your willing to go that old.

I think you could get it in the fifth gen in the base package for a while, but I don't know if that meant you were getting the CVT - which I would also avoid.

Thanks, we prefer reliability Vs the luxury stuff in cars:
RAV-4, CRV (w/K24 motor) or 2024 Chevy Trax (loaded Activ trim).

Avoid LR, Mistubishi and even Subaru unless you want to become cozy with the repair shop.
I'd respectfully disagree with avoiding Mitsubishi SUV's. The Outlander is a nice vehicle but if you're not getting the PHEV version, I'd definitely recommend the Eclipse Cross. it's roughly the same size as your older CR-V and the seats are incredibly comfortable. The 10 year/ 100,000 mile warranty is the same, and the 1.5 turbo/ CVT combo is better all around than the Nissan-derived 2.5 NA/ CVT combo in the Outlander (more torque and the 1.5 litre is chain-driven with dual injection port and direct injection while the 2.5 litre is just direct injected, which can lead to hard-to-remove valve carbon deposits that can be a pain/ expensive to service later down the road. Both CVT's have a dipstick and drainplug, so easy servicing at least).

I'll admit I'm biased, the wife and I bought a 2024 model (SE trim) back in October and so far we love it. Even with the drivetrain still breaking in and low winter temps, we're averaging 28 mpg. My mother owns a previous gen 2016 Outlander she bought near new and it's been competely flawless, just wear items such as tires, brakes, oil and air filter changes, etc with not a single warranty claim. If long-term reliability is top of your list, I'd highly suggest taking a look and at least test-driving one.

I'd avoid the Kia Sportage. I actually think its an overall nicer vehicle than the Eclipse Cross, but I had a buddy trade his 2022 in w/ 33,000 miles on it due to his mechanic detecting an engine knock sound. He had it verified at another shop just in case and then traded it in on a Honda HR-V (also a nice vehicle IMO). Apparently Kia/Hyundai are supposed to have their engines sorted out now after the lawsuit, but I'd keep a distance for now just to be safe.

I'd respectfully disagree with avoiding Mitsubishi SUV's. The Outlander is a nice vehicle but if you're not getting the PHEV version, I'd definitely recommend the Eclipse Cross. it's roughly the same size as your older CR-V and the seats are incredibly comfortable. The 10 year/ 100,000 mile warranty is the same, and the 1.5 turbo/ CVT combo is better all around than the Nissan-derived 2.5 NA/ CVT combo in the Outlander (more torque and the 1.5 litre is chain-driven with dual injection port and direct injection while the 2.5 litre is just direct injected, which can lead to hard-to-remove valve carbon deposits that can be a pain/ expensive to service later down the road. Both CVT's have a dipstick and drainplug, so easy servicing at least)

Very interesting comments, a little crazy that 1.5L is dual port injection and 2.5L is not. Nice info by the way.

Back