Tell me about Mazda, maybe the CX 30

Well, I went and drove a 3, 5, 30 and 50. They seem just fine. My wife liked all of them. For me they lack the power of our current 2.0 Malibu but that is not important to the wife. I felt like the 3 was pretty Malibuesque as far as sedans go. It felt similar just updated a bit. We both like the 30 and the 50. It did like the 5 but did not find it as visually appealing as the other Mazda offerings. That is certainly not deal breaker.

Since my daughter passed the written driver's exam today, we are one step closer. She takes here driving test next month and if she passes, she will get her license in May. So, it is going to happen here shortly.

Any of those cars will certainly be on the short list.

She wants to look at a Camry...help me lordt, I don't need that bringing down my property values. Plus, the Trans Am and Caprice want none of it. ;) She also wants to look at a CT4, CT5 and a XT4. VW is out, the one we had was not very good and the wife will not entertain it. The Hondas are out I had one that was not great and looks like the ones I was looking at had a CVT. Still may go drive an Accord. Not a huge fan of the new Malibu, but we may look at a Blazer and a few Buicks if I can get them with the 2.0 LTG.
You're a GM guy. I'd look for a Cadillac.

Well, I went and drove a 3, 5, 30 and 50. They seem just fine. My wife liked all of them. For me they lack the power of our current 2.0 Malibu but that is not important to the wife.
Was that including the turbo 2.5, or were you only wanting the N.A. engines?
She wants to look at a Camry...help me lordt, I don't need that bringing down my property values. Plus, the Trans Am and Caprice want none of it. ;)
:ROFLMAO:

My best friends sister has a cx5, I think like a 2017 that she has owned for at least 5 years now. No issues that I've heard of (and I would have because the friend is a licensed mechanic and the car guy that everyone goes to) and she still loves it. Not sure if it was AWD or FWD. Probably fwd since they usually go out of their way to avoid AWD for price and fuel economy reasons (despite all the snow we get). Personally I would want the AWD.

My best friends sister has a cx5, I think like a 2017 that she has owned for at least 5 years now. No issues that I've heard of (and I would have because the friend is a licensed mechanic and the car guy that everyone goes to) and she still loves it. Not sure if it was AWD or FWD. Probably fwd since they usually go out of their way to avoid AWD for price and fuel economy reasons (despite all the snow we get). Personally I would want the AWD.
I have The AWD. So far no issues. Drove it in light snow once, seemed to do fine.

I (my family) have had 3 new Mazda's in my lifetime and all have been very good, trouble free cars.
My s-i-l has a 2015 CX-5 bought new that now has 220K miles and runs like new and I know it's gone long on OCIs plenty of times. The 2.5 Skyactiv is an excellent engine IMO. A CX-5 or CX-50 is probably in the future for my wife.

Our most recently purchased new Mazda is my daughters 2021 CX-30 which now has 50K with just oil changes and an ATF D&R @ 37K (using Aisin's version of Mazda's FZ blue ATF). It has been very trouble free except for the 'low battery' warning coming on often (which is common on many CX-30s and Mazda refuses to fix). I bought my daughter a faraday bag and haven't heard anything about the 'warning' since...I'll have to ask her for an update. The other issue that I don't like is the blocked fill plug on the transfer case which makes changing the fluid an expensive (dealer) job. While we really like the CX-30 I'd go for the CX-5 instead. The two threads below are the only issues we've had with the CX-30.

Mazda CX-30 problem that Mazda ignores

Last edited:
Back