Mobil 1 oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: hardheaded
what's everyones thoughts on their filters ?

Anyone found a place where they are cheap if willing to buy a couple?

I bought them on Rockauto for $1.11 each

AFAIK Mobil 1 filters are still made by Champion Laboratories, despite the Chapter 11 approval. If you qualify to set up an account at Service Champ (www.servicechamp.com), you can buy Mobil 1 filters individually or by the case for as little as $4.67 each, plus shipping. And you know they're not 10 year old stock from Rock Auto.

Everyone has caught up with M1.

There was a time when they were the best.

Mobil needs to get their vendor to upgrade what's in the box.

Champ should provide something similar to Toyota TRD or Amsoil with a high quality synthetic media.

For years many would complain about their startup noise. That's the only complaint I've heard about these top-shelf Champ filters.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The oil change interval is 10K...but the filter change interval is every other oil change. The oil analysis should at least be interesting and could possibly indicate if there is a problem with running the filter 20K miles. I'm waiting for the results.

I doubt you will see any problems. I ran a Motorcraft FL-1A on a 2bbl 400M in my '78 F250 for 35,000 miles with Cenex/Land-o-lakes 15W-40 diesel tractor oil getting changed at apprx 11k-12k average. I cut the filter open and though it had caught & held a fair amount of debris, it wasn't sludged AT ALL and looked like it could have still been run longer.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
DO NOT buy the clearance M1 from Rock Auto! They are very old filters from 2008 and NOT safe to use!

Can you please supply some factual evidence that suggests an oil filter has a shelf life?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Can you please supply some factual evidence that suggests an oil filter has a shelf life?

Sure.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
We consider 7 yrs of DRY storage to be the limit for keeping and using oil filters. DRY being the key word.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The oil change interval is 10K...but the filter change interval is every other oil change. The oil analysis should at least be interesting and could possibly indicate if there is a problem with running the filter 20K miles. I'm waiting for the results.

I doubt you will see any problems. I ran a Motorcraft FL-1A on a 2bbl 400M in my '78 F250 for 35,000 miles with Cenex/Land-o-lakes 15W-40 diesel tractor oil getting changed at apprx 11k-12k average. I cut the filter open and though it had caught & held a fair amount of debris, it wasn't sludged AT ALL and looked like it could have still been run longer.

DO NOT buy the clearance M1 from Rock Auto! They are very old filters from 2008 and NOT safe to use!

The media can degrade over time.
I'll 2nd the thought to never do business with RockAuto. Their product descriptions sometimes do not match what they ship. I call that a crooked business ownership.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Motorking
We consider 7 yrs of DRY storage to be the limit for keeping and using oil filters. DRY being the key word.

Sure.

Sorry, Ramblejam. I don't know who Motorking is or what their authority on this subject is.
I have used MANY filters that were over 7 years old with no problems - that is why I was asking.
I cut every filter open after use, and have never had one fail due to "shelf age".

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

I'll 2nd the thought to never do business with RockAuto. Their product descriptions sometimes do not match what they ship. I call that a crooked business ownership.

This one is tricky - - notice they often list Wix filters twice:
One for about $1.63 and another for $5.73 (or whatever)

Surprised I was to get a "wix" for $1.63 that didn't say "wix" anywhere on the can (some other brand).
However, the words "Gastonia, NC" were clearly on the can, and that was good enough for me.

Mobil 1 oil filters are good as long as the louvers are open. Unfortunately, their QC is questionable in that regard and I don't think stores will too happy if their customers remove the plastic wrap to check each filter before buying.

If you want to pay for a premium filter, consider a FRAM Ultra instead.

I don't know who Motorking is or what their authority on this subject is.
I have used MANY filters that were over 7 years old with no problems - that is why I was asking.
I cut every filter open after use, and have never had one fail due to "shelf age".

Motorking works for Fram. His phone number and email are in his sig
smile.gif

Here is an M1-211 cut open. The media discolored badly, and it felt brittle, too.

Over priced.

Motorking works for Fram. His phone number and email are in his signature

Thanks! Since he hadn't posted in this thread I didn't know.

I'll use them on the Honda because they face up. But on my Tacoma, the filter faces down. Of the 2 M1-102 filers I've used on the Tacoma, both have been empty (nearly dry) when I've removed it. Of the 2 Royal Purple filters I've taken off, they've been packed with oil. Not sure what is going on with the ADBV of the M1.

Performance wise they have done very well for me, I cut one open here a few weeks ago.

I have used them as designed for 15k mi OCI's exclusively for about 6 years with no issues to report.

Value wise I think they are outdated/overpriced for what they deliver, namely a cellulose/syn blend media.

I used to buy them as part of AZ oil change special, but have started buying the Fram Ultra from WM when I get my oil instead.

Isn't the Pure One a better filter for less $ ?

In my research the Mobil 1 filter had a longer life (15,000 miles), but did not have as high efficiency as a standard filter. In other words they allowed a lot of dirt to pass straight-through without catching it.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Isn't the Pure One a better filter for less $ ?

In my research the Mobil 1 filter had a longer life (15,000 miles), but did not have as high efficiency as a standard filter. In other words they allowed a lot of dirt to pass straight-through without catching it.

"A lot of dirt to pass straight through". Now that statement is like killing a sparrow(for lunch) with a 30-6.
09.gif

Last edited:
Since Champion Labs filed for bankruptcy, they & Fram are NOT THE SAME COMPANY. Not sure what this mean for the Mobil 1 filter 15K warranty-not sure if XOM would pick up on that or not. It will be interesting to see if the Mobil 1 filter retains its past quality, or not.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy

I think I asked you to show your research a while back, before you left for a while. Did you ever post it?

If it's your research then maybe it consists of something other than that one Amsoil chart that's always dragged out. Original research is always appreciated when there is no other data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back