Mobil 1 - good, bad, not worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

That's just it...it's usually not competitive.

If you find something cheaper that works as well, buy it.

I generally buy it when it's on sale or there's a promotion, and buy other products when they're on sale or on a promotion.

That's what "competitive" means, doesn't it?

Quote:

Quote:

I generally buy it when it's on sale or there's a promotion, and buy other products when they're on sale or on a promotion.

I rarely ever see or hear of M1 on sale or promotion. I always hear about PP on sale or promotion. THAT is "competitive".

Quote:

Quote:

Hrmmm....now it starts to make sense. I have never seen an M1 sale, ever.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hrmmm....now it starts to make sense. I have never seen an M1 sale, ever.

Ditto.

M1 is worth it if you run long OCI's 10k or more. Its TBN retention still seems to be better than most oils, and has shown it can run the distance over and over. M1 TDT 5w-40, 0w-40 and 0w-20 probably have the most PAO so these grades probably offer more value than other grades of M1.

Otherwise if your running short OCI's M1 is simply not worth it. Paying 5 to 6 bucks a quart is pretty steep to be changing at 3k to 5k.

LouDawg
Quote:

I rarely ever see or hear of M1 on sale or promotion. I always hear about PP on sale or promotion. THAT is "competitive".

The man asked "Is it worth the price?"

Seek and ye shall find. I have found Mobil 1 on sale from time to time in my own area.

If you find it at a competitive price, it's worth considering.

Pep Boys seems to have stopped the PP rebates, so I hit WalMart last night and they were completely out of PP 5W-30, so I grabbed a jug of M1 that was 'on sale' in the center isle for $23.59. That didn't seem too different from their regular price, but it was my only option.

Quote:

The man asked "Is it worth the price?"

Seek and ye shall find. I have found Mobil 1 on sale from time to time in my own area.

If you find it at a competitive price, it's worth considering.

When the OP asked, "Is it worth the price?" I assumed the price to mean the regular everyday price as compared to other synthetics, not if you can find it on sale. Sure, if you can find it at a competitive price, it is worth considering. But like some of us have already said, we've rarely if ever seen any specials on it...anywhere. Where are you finding it on sale and for how much?

As for "seeking and finding", I have no need to seek when I can buy PP for half the price on a regular basis. And besides, even if M1 prices were the same as PP, I'd still buy the PP just because of XOM's double-speak.

Quote:

Pep Boys seems to have stopped the PP rebates, so I hit WalMart last night and they were completely out of PP 5W-30, so I grabbed a jug of M1 that was 'on sale' in the center isle for $23.59. That didn't seem too different from their regular price, but it was my only option.

If it was the 5-qt jug, that's only $4.72 per qt. More than the PP WM price of $3.79 to $3.99, but less than M1 usually is elsewhere.

Quote:

I wondering how everyone feels about Mobil 1. Is it worth the price? Is Mobil 1 better than other off the shelf "synthetics"? It seems like almost every automotive forum has a loyal M1 fanbase - is this just because of good marketing?

eddie,

Regardless of the brand it doesn't really matter here in Los Angeles. I go to Pep Boys and except for Royal Purple they're all cost about the same. Generally synthetic have done well for my 89'Camry with about 220K on it. I like to use Mobil 1 myself as the cost to try RP is out of my pocket.

Durango
usa2.gif

LouDawg

Quote:

When the OP asked, "Is it worth the price?" I assumed the price to mean the regular everyday price as compared to other synthetics, not if you can find it on sale.

Whereas I assumed he meant the price he would have to pay.

Quote:

Sure, if you can find it at a competitive price, it is worth considering.

I’m glad to see we agree.

Quote:

.... I'd still buy the PP just because of XOM's double-speak.

I avoid religious debates. It's just motor oil to me.

I have been happy with Mobil 1. Where I live, the PP is not available in 0w20 so I use Mobil 1. So far I have gone 10k and the oil is still looking good:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...;gonew=1#UNREAD
I hope to take this oil to 20k, next UOA at 12.5k.

I agree with Bill in Utah that many (including me) have not tried other oils and done a UOA to compare. I may try Amsoil or PP on my next change to see if there is any difference, the PP 0w20 is very hard to find in my area. In Bill's Corolla the M1 did not give as good results as the Castrol GTX, though the labs were different(butler vs Blackstone) and the M1 was tested on an engine with 20k vs 70k for the Castrol.

If you are not interested in extended ocis, don't push your car to the limit, and your car is not turbo-charged then any synthetic is a waste, if you need synthetic buy any name brand that is cheapest.

I may use Mobil 1 0w-40 because there are few better, convenient alternatives for the 1.8T VW engine.

But I would not use the "standard grades" of M1 like 5w-30, 10w-30 etc. because there are two many good alternatives at better prices.

As for the argument "if you can get M1 at a competitive price then it is worth considering," I don't know how this has any real world relevance. If a turkey tasted like beef, it would also be worth considering, but it doesn't, so who cares. Hypotheticals have little relevance here.

Quote:

If you chose a synthetic for a reason, like performance at temperature extremes, blends and dinos aren't close substitutes. If you don't need a synthetic, discussion of synthetics is moot.

Agree 100%.

Very few oils meet all the demanding specs Mobil 1 does. Most of these specs either deal with very high temperatures or extended drain capability. All Mobil 1 grades also MEET the CF diesel spec.

The only thing people are doing on this board is running various oils out to 3-8k miles on average and expecting to see some huge difference in normal engines. If the conditions don't arise where synthetics perform better, you won't see much of a difference. This is something people need to realize.

Automakers are very demanding and specs like the GM 4718M and Honda HT-06 are indications of quality.

Quote:

* GM 6094M, GM 4718M (Corvette spec)
* Ford WSS-M2C929-A
* ACEA A1/B1
* ILSAC GF-4 (API Certified - Starburst)

Mobil 1 5W-30
Mobil 1 5W-30 is an ILSAC GF-4 energy conserving viscosity that provides excellent all season protection. This product also meets the requirements for diesel-powered vehicles where an API CF or CD oil is recommended.

Ive used mobil 1 for over ten years with no problem and will continue to do so. I think for all the mass market synthetic oils it is still the best out there.

Quote:

Ive used mobil 1 for over ten years with no problem and will continue to do so. I think for all the mass market synthetic oils it is still the best out there.

X2...been using it a long long time,,maybe a little over priced but i like it and so does my GM's...

What exactly is the difference between Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance? Is it a different additive package of some kind? I`ve always been curious about that.

VeeDubb

Quote:

But I would not use the "standard grades" of M1 like 5w-30, 10w-30 etc. because there are two many good alternatives at better prices.

As for the argument "if you can get M1 at a competitive price then it is worth considering," I don't know how this has any real world relevance.

I have a few dozen quarts of Mobil 1 that I bought when the price was right.

I live in the "real world".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back