Mobil 1 success

All brands have marketing to consumers and business. Castrol originally competed against M1 with their name Syntec. The rest including Castrol keep changing their names to market synthetic oil. Now M1. They’ve always stayed the same with their M1 marketing Always been Mobil 1 with the 1 in black against a grey bottle. The rest. Change x times a year it seems. M1 also spends billions on pushing to OE Mfg as far as factory fill. Etc. I know on this forum, we all know M1 and Castrol. I myself tend to trust brands that stay true to the original. Imagine if MCD/ in n out changed their logos constantly. Would they still be successful in their respective business?

If you want to bring up the lawsuit with M1 and Castrol. Sorry. But a true synthetic only comes from IV/V base stocks. Anything less you have to heavy modify to make it perform as a group 4/5. It’s sad that court ruled in favor of Castrol.

All brands have marketing to consumers and business. Castrol originally competed against M1 with their name Syntec. The rest including Castrol keep changing their names to market synthetic oil. Now M1. They’ve always stayed the same with their M1 marketing Always been Mobil 1 with the 1 in black against a grey bottle. The rest. Change x times a year it seems. M1 also spends billions on pushing to OE Mfg as far as factory fill. Etc. I know on this forum, we all know M1 and Castrol. I myself tend to trust brands that stay true to the original. Imagine if MCD/ in n out changed their logos constantly. Would they still be successful in their respective business?

If you want to bring up the lawsuit with M1 and Castrol. Sorry. But a true synthetic only comes from IV/V base stocks. Anything less you have to heavy modify to make it perform as a group 4/5. It’s sad that court ruled in favor of Castrol.
If you want Grp4/Grp5 - don’t expect $25/jug …
I am personally happy that so many solid Grp3’s exist …

Then you best stop using Mobil 1.
They were in the mid 90s. Then after the lawsuit M1 followed Castrol along with the rest. In the 90s M1 was over 4 bucks a Qt. Regular Dino oil was 1.25. Gas in CA at that time was around 1.10. I remember. I got my drivers license in 92. The dollar was high in value in comparison to today. Today a qt of M1 at auto zone is 12 bucks in CA.

Also, Mobil 1 changes their packing and naming as much as anybody else. Their current "Triple Action" advertising is only what, two years old? That came with a whole labeling design change.

They've offered (some successfully, and some unsuccessfully) in the past few years, some currently:

Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy
Mobil 1 Truck & SUV
Mobil 1 Annual Protection
Mobil 1 Hybrid
Mobil 1 Extended Performance
Mobil 1 High Mileage
Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage
Mobil 1 ESP
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck

They utilize brand extension all the time, and actually tend to offer a more redundant product line than their competitors. They're the Tide of motor oil.

Some brands change their images, some don't. For every success, there is a failure. For every ying, there is a yang.
I don't get your rant here; who yanked your chain this evening?

Geeezzz ... Still not over that issue after a few decades? It's sad that you cannot recognize that high-quality group III lubes actually offer some advantages over the other choices and provide outstanding performance. News flash; there is no perfect product for all situations. There are many very good products for some specific applications. Sometimes I might think a group IV would be the better choice; other times not and I would prefer a well fortified grp III. Your post comes off as if there is a one-size-fits-all answer for any oil application. NOTHING could be further from the truth.

Your idea of "synthetics" that should never change and grp IIIs are always inferior fits your version of life; fine by me.
But you'll not convince me that your delusions are anything but ol' skool thinking.

Last edited:
Some brands change their images, some don't. For every success, there is a failure. For every ying, there is a yang.
I don't get your rant here; who yanked your chain this evening?

Geeezzz ... Still not over that issue after a few decades? It's sad that you cannot recognize that high-quality group III lubes actually offer some advantages over the other choices and provide outstanding performance. News flash; there is no perfect product for all situations. There are many very good products for some specific applications. Sometimes I might think a group IV would be the better choice; other times not and I would prefer a well fortified grp III. Your post comes off as if there is a one-size-fits-all answer for any oil application. NOTHING could be further from the truth.

Your idea of "synthetics" that should never change and grp IIIs are always inferior fits your version of life; fine by me.
But you'll not convince me that your delusions are anything but ol' skool thinking.
Well if there wasn’t truth what I said? Amsoil, Redline; HPL, wouldn’t be in bus.

But a true synthetic only comes from IV/V base stocks.
Polyalkylene Glycol is also in Group V. Would that make a good base stock for motor oil? What do you think?

Defining Synthetic Motor Oil based on an archaic API Group Classification system is such a fallacy.

Synthetic Motor Oil is a marketing term, nothing more. Synthetic Hydrocarbons would be a more accurate description.

For the sake of this discussion, Synthetics Motor Oil is a motor oil that all the individual components are engineered at the molecular level - base oils, polymers, co-bases, DI package, etc. Conventional Motor Oils on the other hand, have some components in them that are more or less, let's say, an unknown to the manufacturer. These days that simply means that the manufacturer cannot predict every aspect of how that conventional oil will perform under harsh conditions, extended drain intervals, etc.

Saying that only motor oil made with Group IV and V are true synthetics is an absolutely ignorant statement. According to your logic, a 0W-30 made with 4 cSt PAO and a bunch of VII would make a great motor oil with a crazy low pour point of around -60C. In practice, however, not so much.

Keep in mind that it's not what on oil is, it's what an oil does that matters.

lazaro

Quote:

I've posted several times about this, but the notion that there was some sort of lawsuit regarding the use of the term synthetic still persists and is attaining "urban legend" status. There was not and never has been any suit AT LAW regarding the use of the term "synthetic" for Group III base oil, and no court or ALJ has made a ruling on this matter. Mobil simply filed a complaint with the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau in the US claiming that Castrol was engaging in false advertising by calling Syntec "full synthetic" since it was now being made with Group III base oil. Castrol was able to present enough "evidence" to convince the NAD that Group III base oil could legitimately be called synthetic, so they rulled in Castrol's favor. This ruling has no "legal" standing. It merely means that as far as the NAD is concerned, an oil company is not falsely advertising an oil as "full synthetic" if that oil is made from Group III base oil. The NAD is merely a self-regulatory arm of the BBB and has no legal standing whatsoever in the U.S. Hence, their ruling in this matter does not make it "legal" to claim that a Group III oil is "synthetic." It merely means that for any entity willing to abide by the NAD's guidelines, a Group III oil can be ADVERTISED under those guidelines as a synthetic.

I still miss Quaker States clear bottles for Ultimate Protection. Really made them stand out on the isle because on first glance I thought every bottle was leaking. :)
I liked those bottles! I think the reason why they got rid of them is because the coloring batch to batch wasn't identical, so you'd see bottles of the same product side by side on the shelf where some were darker or lighter amber. I saw somebody in a parts store looking at them one time and asking out loud why the color from bottle to bottle looked different.

Remember Q Horsepower and Q Torque Power?

Chef Boyardee packaging had many changes also.
1704546969456.jpeg

I liked those bottles! I think the reason why they got rid of them is because the coloring batch to batch wasn't identical, so you'd see bottles of the same product side by side on the shelf where some were darker or lighter amber. I saw somebody in a parts store looking at them one time and asking out loud why the color from bottle to bottle looked different.

Remember Q Horsepower and Q Torque Power?
I liked those clear bottles, especially when Ollie’s was selling for $1 a quart.

Back